PDA

View Full Version : new uni for fat man

mikila
November 6th 08, 08:17 AM
howdy everybody, nice forum you guys have here. i am 49 years old, 6'-2"
tall and 260#. i learned to ride 40 years ago,not that well compared to
what i see here, simply amazing, although i could ride back wards, go
down a few steps and give my kids shoulder rides. this is no kind of
brag just wanting to let you know my skill level. belive or not i still
have my first and only unicycle but have cut it down to teach a kid to
ride. i would like to buy a new 20" to work on conditioning, balance,
learn tricks, including hopping. i am afraid with my weight i wll tear
the guts out of a new one. can you guys help with choosing a wheel, hub,
frame, tire. be gentle now i got feelings too you know. that was a lie
i realy don't, so let me have it. thanks a bunch

--
mikila

wickedbob
November 6th 08, 08:47 AM
The nimbus isis is a fantastic unicycle, super strong at a reasonable
price. Would you be interested in doing any type of commuting or
anything of that sort? A 24in unicycle might also be something to look
at, the nimbus isis muni would be a great choice.

Both can take extreme riding with upgraded cranks. I have a nimbus
wheel and have done all sorts of evil to and it's still going strong.
Both their frames are solid, as with everything else, but the stock
cranks, they're iffy.

Those are all available at unicycle.com I don't know much about Bedford
unicycles, but that might be better with shipping? I really don't know,
he's based in canada, his website is rather outdated, maybe call him?
There is also a Canadian Unicycle proshop or something to that effect,
I'm not sure of their exact name or webpage though.

By the way, Welcome to the forum! Good having you. I did not realize
this was your first post. You should look up UniGeezer on Youtube, he's
an older guy who unicycles, he's an inspiration to the older types like
yourself haha.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG
'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).

Ducttape wrote:
> haha! I'm rubbing off on people again....

My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?

mikila
November 6th 08, 09:27 AM
thanks wickedbob yes i could see riding some trails but the winters
here are brutal so there will be alot of indoor riding and i thought a
20" might be better what do you think? looking from a durability
standpoint only do you see the nimbus stouter than a kh or koxx or
others? i am not afraid to spend more for quality i was also
thinking longneck any flaw in that? thanks again

--
mikila

saskatchewanian
November 6th 08, 01:35 PM
I don't actually have any of these cycles but here is a bit of a
breakdown on the different brand unicycles you mentioned

*Nimbus*
Great hub, good quality and flanges
light weight cranks, maybe a bit weak
rim is a bit narrower than the others but very strong
Frame is Cro-Mo, Heavier than a KH, some say stronger, some just say
more reparable. You won't break either

Over all good quality and a low price

*KH*
Good hub, Great quality but flanges bend easily
Moment cranks, The standard for a bombproof crank, very nice
Oval drilled rims, Wide, Light, Strong, excellent rim
Alluminum frame is very nice, Light and strong, also shaped to be good
for both trials and tricks. Most people who break one get it replaced
for free, not many break. Oh and longneck is a really nice option.

Top of the line, Light strong, well designed, more money

*Koxx*
Hub has some problems with spline size, apparently they are getting
better but you may have trouble putting non Koxx cranks on.
Cranks are comparable to KH but may not be as interchangeable
rim is wide and light, not quite as strong as the oval drilled KH rim.
Non drilled rim is an option, Heavier and stronger.
Frame is like the Nimbus but has pretty colors

Solid unicycle, has had some quality control issues but seems to be
getting better. Might be harder to find.

Anyone with experience riding these particular trials unis feel free to
correct or confirm. My trials is a mix (KH, Nimbus, K1, and no-name bits
all mashed together)

edit: If I could get any trials uni right now it would be a KH
longneck.

--
saskatchewanian

mikila
November 6th 08, 08:39 PM
wickedbob i watched a little unigeezer on youtube he is a testament
to old is all between the ears don't you think?

saskatchewanian thanks

i am thinking of kh longneck with a
second wheelset dedicated to indoor riding any thoughts on a
nonmarking tire cranks peddles?

--
mikila

1-wheeled-grape
November 6th 08, 08:47 PM
the white try-all tyre is great for trial, and is non marking
KH moments are the best cranks, although you cant put them on a Koxx
Pedals is a personal preference and I have never changed the pedals on
my unicycles... they do the job so don't need changing :p

Yes Terry is a cool, crazy Muniaddict!

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*

mikila
November 6th 08, 09:33 PM
thanks one wheel grape for indoor riding am i better off with a
higher pressure smooother tire? and if i am going to have a second
wheelset and can pick the parts crank length? wheel width? pedals?
thanks again

--
mikila

1-wheeled-grape
November 6th 08, 09:47 PM
well if your going to have another wheel set, you could have

1. the original for out door riding, the KH long neck has a great wheel
set.

2. One of these wheel sets 'KH' (http://tinyurl.com/5qvhlv) or 'Nimbus'
(http://tinyurl.com/5gbd3j), 'with this tyre'
(http://tinyurl.com/57gka9).
That would be an awesome set up!

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*

mikila
November 7th 08, 01:34 AM
1 wheeled grape,the wheel sets you listed are marked 19" and the tire
marked 20". will that in fact fit and if not will a 20"wheel and tire
you listed fit the kh long neck? or is it made in 19"? so with 2 crank
sets what would you guys choose for lengths? and for indoor, pedals
that might not chew the floor up as bad. i hope i am not being too big
of a pain. thanks some more

--
mikila

UNIdentified
November 7th 08, 10:11 PM
if your riding a trials uni. iv had 150, 145, 137, 135, and 125 all on
my 20". currently im riding the 135's cause im riding a koxx wheel (for
now), but personally, i prefer the 135's and the 137's. 150's are too
slow and depending on which pedal you use, they might contact the ground
when you make sharp turns. the 125's are a tad faster, but they are a
lot harder to control at lower speeds.

--
UNIdentified

Thats not what your mom said.

1-wheeled-grape
November 7th 08, 10:48 PM
mikila;1126493 wrote:
> 1 wheeled grape,the wheel sets you listed are marked 19" and the tire
> marked 20". will that in fact fit and if not will a 20"wheel and tire
> you listed fit the kh long neck? or is it made in 19"?

yeah... 19 and 20 are the same... it ill fit. Some just say its a 20",
some say its a 19"... even thought the rim is 15"!?! It can be
confusing.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*

saskatchewanian
November 7th 08, 11:09 PM
I thought that the KH unis came with two sets of pedals but I am not
seeing it in the description at UDC. If they don't come with the uni
Odyssey Twisted PC pedals are good plastics.

I would just use the same wheel indoors and out, If you are worried
about marking the floor you could try a white try-all tire.

If you feel you really need a second wheel for indoor riding I would
get 'this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1095) with a
basically any non marking 20" tire. 125 or 114mm would be a good size
for freestyle cranks, I would go 125 to start.

As for the whole 19"/20" thing, Some people call trials wheels 19"
because the rim is an inch smaller than the ones used on a standard 20"
wheel. The rim and tire combo comes out to roughly 20" either way. Some
manufacturers will put 19x2.5 on the sidewall of a trials tire while
others will put 20x2.5.

--
saskatchewanian

wickedbob
November 8th 08, 12:00 AM
I haven't read all the posts in here, but the Nimbus will be stronger
than the kh. The nimbus as an undrilled rim, and the hub is better, the
only thing weaker are the cranks, which can be upgraded to kh cranks
right on the we site.

The reason people use the kh wheel set more is because of the wider
rim, it makes a noticeable difference when hopping, on the nimbus rim
(old kh rim) the tire will tend to fold a lot more.

Over all if you've got the money as the others suggest the kh longneck
would be a really, really strong pro quality ride. If your not looking
to spend that much yet, the nimbus is a fantastic option as well. You
can get the white tires that will fit the kh rim from
renegadejuggling.com, if they have them in stock. If your going to be on
the saddle alot, lets say freestyle, I suggest picking up either a koxx
seat which I've found to be much better than the kh or I've heard good
reviews of the Nimbus gel saddle, but I've never used one myself.

As for the frame, the kh does have a nice frame, I own both the kh
longneck and nimbus frame. When sif (seat in front) hopping you can hit
your legs off the nimbus or like styled frames and cut/ bruise yourself,
the kh is flat, but rounded. The kh is also lighter. The nimbus is
slightly stronger probably, but that doesn't become a factor until you
really start pushing yourself and getting up there with the really good
riders.

--

Ducttape wrote:
> haha! I'm rubbing off on people again....

My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?

Ducttape
November 8th 08, 12:06 AM
1-wheeled-grape;1127142 wrote:
> yeah... 19 and 20 are the same... it ill fit. Some just say its a 20",
> some say its a 19"... even thought the rim is 15"!?! It can be
> confusing.

I don't think that that tire you listed will fit the rims you linked...
Have you personally tested this?

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*

kb1jki
November 8th 08, 02:03 AM
I broke the cranks on my learner after a month of riding. I purchased a
Mountain Unicycle 26" Nimbus from UDC. This unicycle is showing no signs
of breaking after the following 2 months of learning to ride which
includes riding off road singletrack trails, falling in technical
sections, small drops, riding over medians and over curbs! Well, the
right pedal creaks a little.

So far, I've have trued the wheel a little, tightened the cranks
(checking after the pedal creak) and checked the bolts on the bearing
caps as well. I am very impressed with how well the saddle stays locked
in place with the double bolt seat collar. This uni is breaking in very
well!

Now, I don't know how much your kids weigh at this point, or if you
still ride them up on your shoulders... but I weigh 235 lbs and I've
traveled 1/4 mi to the auto-parts store with a car battery and back and
the Nimbus didn't blink!

I am endorsing a chro-mo frame, a UDC chro-mo wide hub (lateral
strength), and if you ride rough terrain, or aggressively -a 20-26"
diameter wheel for durability. Wheel choice dictates speed, terrain, and
distance to exertion, so that has more to do with riding style. The
reason I'm recommending Nimbus is because of the outgoing nature and
professionalism that I experienced from Unicycle.com

|Filename: !7.JPG |

kb1jki

skrobo
November 8th 08, 02:10 AM
the people at UDC are no problem, its the website, and errors with
orders(that they fix reasonably)

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><
'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"

mikila
November 8th 08, 06:41 AM
hey fella's, losts of good info thanks. i went to a local bike shop
here yesterday after work and saw a torker hanging from the ceiling and
asked the clerk to look at it. he gave it to me and i briefly looked at
it and did not care for the workmanship. ( i weld for a living) he asked
me if i knew about unicycles. i shrugged my shoulders , mounted it and
took off riding through the store with him in tow telling me how i cant
ride it. i was going between clothes racks fowards and when he would get
to close i would back up and tell him he was crowding me. he was getting
madder by the second all the while telling me about liability. i figured
he was going to blow a gasket so i rode back to the front of store and
handed it back to him. i explained to him that i would not by a product
that i could not try and turned around and walked out grinning ear to
ear. it really made my day. some people are too easy! i looked at
municycle ca today and can get a longneck kh for just short of 600
landed here. that got me thinking about getting their signature nimbus
for just short of 400 landed here and a kh 24. have i gone out of my
mind?

--
mikila

saskatchewanian
November 8th 08, 09:32 PM
mikila;1127397 wrote:
> have i gone out of my mind?

Yes, and welcome to the club :)

I can't believe that they didn't want you to try stuff out at a bike
shop! Do they prevent people from riding the bikes as well? I usually
ride half a dozen bikes before I decide which one to buy, I couldn't
imagine buying a bike from a shop that would not let me ride it first.

I have a (mostly) Torker DX 24 and the welds looked fine to me but it
was a heavy beast and not the best design. Nimbus pretty much took over
their spot on the market for strong not to expensive unis.

--
saskatchewanian

1-wheeled-grape
November 8th 08, 09:45 PM
Ducttape;1127202 wrote:
> I don't think that that tire you listed will fit the rims you linked...
> Have you personally tested this?

No, actually I didn't think about that actually :eek::confused:
Otherwise the white Try-all is great though, and that will definitely
fit!

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*

OneWheelLess
November 10th 08, 02:08 AM
mikila;1127397 wrote:
> hey fella's, losts of good info thanks. i went to a local bike shop
> here yesterday after work and saw a torker hanging from the ceiling and
> asked the clerk to look at it. he gave it to me and i briefly looked at
> it and did not care for the workmanship. ( i weld for a living) he asked
> me if i knew about unicycles. i shrugged my shoulders , mounted it and
> took off riding through the store with him in tow telling me how i cant
> ride it. i was going between clothes racks fowards and when he would get
> to close i would back up and tell him he was crowding me. he was getting
> madder by the second all the while telling me about liability. i figured
> he was going to blow a gasket so i rode back to the front of store and
> handed it back to him. i explained to him that i would not by a product
> that i could not try and turned around and walked out grinning ear to
> ear. it really made my day. some people are too easy! i looked at
> municycle ca today and can get a longneck kh for just short of 600
> landed here. that got me thinking about getting their signature nimbus
> for just short of 400 landed here and a kh 24. have i gone out of my
> mind?

Hey, if you have the money to spend, go for it! The udc.ca signature
cycles are awesome!
The only thing you may want to consider is whether to get the kh 29, or
the kh24. If you feel you want to do hardcore technical muni, the 24
would be the best choice, if you would enjoy more xc, and riding longer
and faster, you may be more suited to the 29'er. (It is definitely
possible to do distance on the 24" and you may find you like it better,
it depends on the distance and terrain you plan to ride)

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.

mikila
November 12th 08, 01:14 AM
well i ordered the kh 20" long neck from municycle.ca today. should see
it in a week and can't hardly wait. can anybody tell me where to get a
white try-all tire for it. thanks for all the help

--
mikila

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home