PDA

View Full Version : Should I start unicycling?

3dnf
November 8th 08, 03:02 AM
I was wondering if I should start unicycling or not. Is there risk of
injury of anything when unicycling? If you could get back to me that
would be great. :cool::D

--
3dnf

JayDallas
November 8th 08, 03:22 AM
Hey d3nf,
First off I would like to say welcome to the unicyclist forums! There
is lots of great information on unicycling and other things as well
here. And to answer your silly question, of course you should unicycle!
It is an amazing sport that will keep you busy for a long time to come.
There are many different types of unicycle styles, so you will find a
unicycle type that fits you. From my experience, unicycling is a bit
safer than skateboarding, I guess it depends on what you are doing, but
it is a pretty safe sport and if you hurt yourself, I would say and I'm
sure that many other people on here will say that it is worth it!

But welcome to the forums!

--
JayDallas

_Ground_Zero_
November 8th 08, 03:25 AM
What do you mean by injury? Of course there's risk for injury. Probably
just as much as there's an injurt to biking or skating. Some forms of
unicycling pose more of a risk than others (Street, Muni, trials) as
compared to different forms (freestyle, distance, flatland, commuting).
The most common injuries I think are ankle injuries but it's really not
like you're prone to get an injury. As long as your being careful, you
probably won't hurt yourself.

Is there a particular type of riding you want to do, or just learn in
general?

Hope this helped :)

--
_Ground_Zero_

-Zero
)-2xLegwrap-O 3rd

zogola
November 8th 08, 03:28 AM
3dnf,

Your question feels like a bit of a setup. Of course there is a risk
of injury... injury to EVERYTHING! Some basic safety equipment greatly
reduces the risk. At the very least a helmet and gloves are essential.
There will certainly be bumps, bruises, and scrapes... all part of the
fun in a way. If it was easy and painless everyone would be doing it.

Your question is a bit like going on a forum for marathon runners and
asking if you should start running. Will I get tired?:)

Maybe if you gave us a bit of information about yourself we could guide
you better. What got you interested in unicycling? How old are you?
etc.

Kurt

--
zogola

zogola
November 8th 08, 04:03 AM
Hmmmm,

;)Winky face, :cool:shady face, :Dtoothy face.

Setup. Right?

Kurt ;):cool::D:rolleyes:

--
zogola

disgruntleddave
November 8th 08, 04:13 AM
3dnf;1127276 wrote:
> I was wondering if I should start unicycling or not. Is there risk of
> injury of anything when unicycling? If you could get back to me that
> would be great. :cool::D

No. You definitely should not start. We here at the unicyclist
community believe firmly that unicycling is extremely dangerous and we
strongly discourage anyone, including our own members, from
participating in any activity that involves more than 0 and less than 2
wheels.

You will likely die within minutes of initial contact with one of these
one wheeled death machines. Please heed my warnings and stay away.

--
disgruntleddave

zogola
November 8th 08, 04:17 AM
Thanks for saying it Dave, I just didn't want to be the one to break the
news.:o

Kurt

--
zogola

disgruntleddave
November 8th 08, 04:25 AM
I know we usually keep the truth about unicycling secret to the outside
community, but I fear for the life of this innocent soul so I decided to
divulge our secret.

--
disgruntleddave

zogola
November 8th 08, 04:28 AM
I must admit, "likely death" was my first thought, but unlike you, Dave,
I chose to candy-coat the reality of the situation. I didn't want to
scare away a new member!

Kurt

Honesty is the best policy, I sometimes say.

--
zogola

unicycledood
November 8th 08, 06:13 AM
3dnf;1127276 wrote:
> Is there risk of injury of anything when unicycling?

Oh dam I never thought of this. I reccomend we all stop unicycling.

Edit: lol?

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
> haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.

SamGoodburn
November 8th 08, 10:57 AM
unicycledood;1127387 wrote:

> Edit: lol?

Lol!

Once apon a time unicycling was as popular as walking (the thing you do
with your legs), people would do everything on their unicycles, until
one day we realised there was a risk of injury.. and everybody died..
fin.

--
SamGoodburn

very creative sig.

1-wheeled-grape
November 8th 08, 11:02 AM
yes, I know... I am dead!
It was yet another fatal clown joke incident, ending in a pedal bite
war of which we both lost.

i'm a poltergeist who knows how to use computers.

--
1-wheeled-grape

*this signature is pointless... do not **even bother reading it, it
would be a waste of time

you wasted your time didn't you? :rolleyes:
*
*"You must have shot an awefull lot of tigers sir"
"Yes... I used a machine gun!"
* *
**
*

AK_unipsycho
November 8th 08, 12:49 PM
not to be hostile, but wow... you come on a _unicyclist_ forum and ask
if you should start unicycling... what kind of response do you honestly
think you are gonna get? Of course there's a risk of injury, that should
be a given. As for serious injuries, it's possible but highly unlikely
at a beginner's stage. You're looking at some road rash and pedal bites
at the worst. If you're really interested in riding then I say go for
it, don't let what other people think hold you back. If you need help
with anything check out the search feature here, there's a lot of
knowledgeable and experienced riders who would be mroe than happy to
share what they know

--
AK_unipsycho

OneWheelLess
November 8th 08, 03:36 PM
Anyone can unicycle, you just need to decide if it's something you would
like to do. Seriously, I believe biking, skating and most of the other
extreme sports I've done have a much higher risk of injury. It's much
easier to bail, and you're not traveling as fast (most of the time).

--
OneWheelLess

Seriously, the other wheel just fell off one day.

unicyclerperson
November 8th 08, 03:57 PM
Unicycling is as dangerous as you want it to be (I think I read that off
a UDC FAQ). If you just want to learn then you might fall hard sometimes
and maybe a few pedal bites but nothing significant. If you want to
learn how to go off 5 foot drops then some form of injury is probable. I
learned on carpet inside my house and I had pretty much no injurys
except for saddle soreness from the torker cx's seat (don't get a torker
cx).

--
unicyclerperson

:rolleyes::)Andrew:):rolleyes:

:)"The only thing worse than no T.V., is golf on T.V."-Malcolm
in the Middle:)
Anyone near Tottenham or Schomberg, Ontario?
:)"What is it about a girl in a dumpster?"-The
Simpsons:)

Sanne.Kj
November 8th 08, 06:58 PM
> I was wondering if I should start unicycling ...

The answer is quite simple: YES. Do it. :)
It is never too late to start. I begun 2 years ago because my two sons
were really good. Some stuff I'll never be able to do, but never mind.
What I can do is fun.

Best reagrds
Sanne

--
Sanne.Kj

BurnerDave
November 8th 08, 07:54 PM
I double checked the data sheet that came with my uni. There is nothing
about unicycling being dangerous. I also checked Youtube for unicycle
accidents… nuthin’. So, no it’s not dangerous. Go for it.

--
BurnerDave

Dave :D

This is me, this is my video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cz62gzgdGos

RRRRudy
November 8th 08, 07:58 PM
YouTube - - TomPec - 12
Stair Fall -

just stay away from big stairs :D

--
RRRRudy

Wheel Rider
November 8th 08, 09:39 PM
3dnf;1127276 wrote:
> I was wondering if I should start unicycling or not. Is there risk of
> injury of anything when unicycling? If you could get back to me that
> would be great. :cool::D

Learning to ride a unicycle requires determination. It is hard at
first. It requires practice.

I learned to ride at age 50 without ever falling down. As somone said,
"Unicycling is as dangerous as you want it to be". I have fallen a few
times while riding, usually while riding off-road over bumps or at high
speed.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
heals the disease. - Voltaire

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home