PDA

View Full Version : AUS unicyclist attempts frontflip.

Andrew Mell
November 10th 08, 10:11 AM
on sunday the 9th at newtown festival a bunch of us were doing a trial
demo with some bikers and reece tried a frontflip on his uni, he had 3
unsuccessful attempts but gave it a shot.

cant upload any video but heres a screenshot.

[image: http://i38.tinypic.com/1zqekh3.jpg]

--
Andrew Mell

mikepenton
November 10th 08, 10:20 AM
PLEASE tell us he was wearing a helmet and it just isn't very visible in
the shot...
The ambulance in the background is very appropriate.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)

surfer1024
November 10th 08, 10:28 AM
wow, he decided just "go for it" ? Thats guts! Did he have any practice
before? And yeah, he should of been wearing a helmet.

--
surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,

Latest Vid: 'Man's Best Friend'
#f5f5f5

samsta002
November 10th 08, 10:49 AM
Thats pretty crazy but sick. I wish i was there, it would have been good
to see.

--
samsta002

It's OK; luckily my neck broke my fall.

"Wow! Did you see that one-footer-no-eighty?!"

Ludwig F
November 10th 08, 01:45 PM
woa that guy is sick
why didn't he wear a helmet?

--
Ludwig F

1st place '
)-540unispin-'O,'
(http://www.vimeo.com/2123853)

Team Crankbreakers

'Unsere Videos' (http://www.vimeo.com/user858503)

harper
November 10th 08, 02:54 PM
That is so cool. The limits of what a person can do on a unicycle are
still being pushed hard. I'm looking forward to the first back flip
attempt. I still think it would have to be easier.

My guess is that he's not wearing a helmet for the best reason known.
He didn't want to. Personal choice and personal responsibility...take
them or have them taken away. You go, Reece.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

joemarshall
November 10th 08, 03:04 PM
I would guess a helmet would be no good in a frontflip injury, if you
pile down onto the ground head first, having a helmet isn't going to do
anything to help your neck / back. You don't often see tumblers /
acrobats wearing helmets after all.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/joemarshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)

ntappin
November 10th 08, 03:13 PM
That is pretty awesome, and I guess Harper is right, it is his own fault
if something goes wrong and he isn't wearing a helmet.

Who was wearing the KUA shirt?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

kidmuni
November 10th 08, 03:14 PM
Woo!

respect

I was there:D

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

Seager
November 10th 08, 03:27 PM
The helmet is less neccisary since he has two spotters.

I'm amazed.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)

Yangkee613
November 10th 08, 05:30 PM
bump up ..  Reuben respectfully touched his worn cap and
walked out into the sunlight with the bay rippling in a freshening wind.
There was purpose in his loping stride5. He would raise the five dollars
and not tell anybody.  Hearing the sound of hammering from
a side street, Reuben had an idea.  He ran towards the
sound and stopped at a construction site. People built their own homes
in Bay Roberts, using nails purchased in Hessian sacks from a local
factory. Sometimes the sacks were discarded in the flurry of building,
and Reuben knew he could sell them back to the factory for five cents a
piece.  That day he found two sacks, which he took to the
rambling wooden factory and sold to the man in charge of packing
nails.  The boy's hand tightly clutched the five-cent
pieces as he ran the two kilometers home.  Near his house
stood the ancient barn that housed the family's goats and chickens.
Reuben found a rusty soda tin and dropped his coins inside. Then he
climbed into the loft of the barn and hid the tin beneath a pile of
sweet smelling hay.  It was dinnertime when Reuben got
home. His father sat at the big kitchen table, working on a fishing net.
Dora was at the kitchen stove, ready to serve dinner as Reuben took his
place at the table.  He looked at his mother and smiled.
Sunlight from the window gilded her shoulder-length blonde hair. Slim
and beautiful, she was the center of the home, the glue that held it
together.Come and buy 'WoW Gold' (http://www.gogoer.com), 'Cheap WoW
Gold' (http://www.gogoer.com) wow Accounts here, 'Cheap WoW Gold'
(http://www.srogold.com),'Cheap WoW Gold' (http://www.gamelee.com), our
'WoW Gold' (http://www.gamelee.com) web .

--
Yangkee613

rem48
November 10th 08, 07:15 PM
notice the ambulance in the background? Ha! How appropriate.

--
rem48

nexty
November 10th 08, 07:42 PM
Shame, wish I could have been there to see it.

Was out doing the Highland Fling (write up later)

Photos by Julian O.
[image:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723464_3620.jpg]
Miles.

[image:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723465_3832.jpg]
Rhys

[image:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723466_4039.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723467_4243.jpg]
Isaac and Kevin

[image:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723468_4425.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723469_4632.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723470_4826.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723472_5250.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723473_5439.jpg]

--
nexty

nexty
November 10th 08, 07:42 PM
[image:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723475_5647.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723476_5903.jpg]
Welcome to Australia mr rollo, cya soon!

[image:
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723477_6147.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723478_6367.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723479_6588.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723480_6800.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723601_3345.jpg]

[image:
http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723602_3638.jpg]

--
nexty

mikepenton
November 10th 08, 07:52 PM
harper;1128660 wrote:
> That is so cool. The limits of what a person can do on a unicycle are
> still being pushed hard. I'm looking forward to the first back flip
> attempt. I still think it would have to be easier.
>
> My guess is that he's not wearing a helmet for the best reason known.
> He didn't want to. Personal choice and personal responsibility...take
> them or have them taken away. You go, Reece.

I do agree with Greg. I think I'm getting old... I cringe at most of
the bail-reels in videos. It's the potential...

I want to talk about the helmet thing and I don't. I know it's a huge
can of worms just waiting to explode (very messy and very sticky).

I'm surprised the event organisers didn't insist on them, maybe I'm
spending too much time around organised events and Americans ;)

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)

corbin
November 10th 08, 08:26 PM
Whoa, I can't believe that *no one* was wearing a helmet. That is just
plain crazy! I guess we'll let Darwin take care of things.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com

Probailer2
November 10th 08, 09:08 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723477_6147.jpg][/url]

Anyone rode that rail on the background?
Oh, and the frontflip attempt looks insane.

--
Probailer2

JJuggle wrote: [i]

manon1wheel wrote:
> no offense but deads look plain old gross...

anso
November 10th 08, 09:10 PM

corbin;1128846 wrote:
> Whoa, I can't believe that *no one* was wearing a helmet.

I just think that's interesting how people can influence others...

I've never seen Tynan (mr rollo) without a helmet in Vancouver but now
in Australia...

--
anso

pedrotejada
November 10th 08, 09:19 PM
nexty;1128811 wrote:

> [image:
> http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723465_3832.jpg]

This guy have nice shoes :D

Crasy attempt! I want to watch it on video!

--
pedrotejada

'*Kris Holm Unicycles*' (http://www.krisholm.com)

*Brazilian Unicycling Team*

mill_mobile
November 10th 08, 09:29 PM
pedrotejada;1128886 wrote:
> This guy have nice shoes :D
>
> Crasy attempt! I want to watch it on video!

Yes, i like his shoes too :)

--
mill_mobile

kidmuni
November 10th 08, 10:01 PM
corbin;1128846 wrote:
> Whoa, I can't believe that *no one* was wearing a helmet. That is just
> plain crazy! I guess we'll let Darwin take care of things.
>
> corbin

The bike trial riders had helmets :)

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

semach.the.monkey
November 10th 08, 10:12 PM
corbin;1128846 wrote:
> Whoa, I can't believe that *no one* was wearing a helmet. That is just
> plain crazy! I guess we'll let Darwin take care of things.

Darwin is on the other side of Australia. He wouldn't have been able
to see from there ;)

Just for my two penneth on the helmet debate, I agree that it should be
personal preference when you're out and about doing what you want to do.
But, for an organised display, however, where your actions influence
those watching you, I think there's a responsibility to set a good
example.

I can't believe that everyone believes that the first photo is a front
flip being done off of the stack of pallets. Can't you see that the two
guys on either side had actually just thrown him up towards the pallets
behind them? :D Now that would be *cool* !

I'm sure it won't be long though before front flips are landed by half
a dozen different people though. I guess that the bragging will then be
on how *few* pallets it is done from, until it becomes a flatland
trick!

STM

--
semach.the.monkey

Michaelgoround
November 10th 08, 10:12 PM
nexty;1128811 wrote:

> [image:
> http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723478_6367.jpg]

That kid kinda looks like me except he's blonde.:p

--
Michaelgoround

kidmuni
November 10th 08, 10:33 PM
Probailer2;1128876 wrote:
> [image:
> http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723477_6147.jpg]
>
> Anyone rode that rail on the background?
> Oh, and the frontflip attempt looks insane.

It's a ramp

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

Rowan
November 10th 08, 10:43 PM
joemarshall;1128664 wrote:
> I would guess a helmet would be no good in a frontflip injury, if you
> pile down onto the ground head first, having a helmet isn't going to do
> anything to help your neck / back. You don't often see tumblers /
> acrobats wearing helmets after all.

I totally agree. The human skull is designed to take a bit of a knock if
need be. People seem to get really anal about helmets without good
reason. Has anyone noticed the lack of wrist protection the riders are
wearing in the photos? Shock horror they might sprain a wrist. They
could be cripples for life! Has anyone noticed the lack of eye
protection? The audience should all be wearing welding masks in case one
of the unicyclists spontaneously combust really brightly.

--
Rowan

rollot
November 11th 08, 01:10 AM
anso;1128877 wrote:
> I just think that's interesting how people can influence others...
>
> I've never seen Tynan (mr rollo) without a helmet in Vancouver but now
> in Australia...

Just to defend myself on the whole helmet fiasco, my helmet didn't make
it through my flight from Canada ... I only arrived on November 5th and
usually ride with gloves, leg armour, and a helmet ... lacking all three
I decided to only do some very basic stuff while I was there.

Back on topic, it seems I left the festival a little too early!! I
wish I had stuck around a little bit longer to see the three
attempts!!!

Tynan

--
rollot

peleschramm
November 11th 08, 01:15 AM
rollot;1128994 wrote:
> Just to defend myself on the whole helmet fiasco, my helmet didn't make
> it through my flight from Canada ... I only arrived on November 5th and
> usually ride with gloves, leg armour, and a helmet ... lacking all three
> I decided to only do some very basic stuff while I was there.
>
> Back on topic, it seems I left the festival a little too early!! I
> wish I had stuck around a little bit longer to see the three
> attempts!!!
>
> Tynan

Hey! My sister has a boyfriend called Tynan! I've never heard that name
prior to that and all of a sudden here's another person called Tynan.

Sorry for being off topic guys...

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

BillyTheMountain for President.

zogola
November 11th 08, 01:26 AM
joemarshall;1128664 wrote:
> I would guess a helmet would be no good in a frontflip injury, if you
> pile down onto the ground head first, having a helmet isn't going to do
> anything to help your neck / back. You don't often see tumblers /
> acrobats wearing helmets after all.
>
> Joe

I'm sorry but that has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've
ever read. Wearing a helmet won't protect your neck or back, but it
will protect your BRAIN! Tumblers and acrobats are doing controlled
rolls onto padded surfaces, you can't compare the two.

Kurt

--
zogola

zogola
November 11th 08, 01:27 AM
Rowan;1128939 wrote:
> I totally agree. The human skull is designed to take a bit of a knock if
> need be. People seem to get really anal about helmets without good
> reason. Has anyone noticed the lack of wrist protection the riders are
> wearing in the photos? Shock horror they might sprain a wrist. They
> could be cripples for life! Has anyone noticed the lack of eye
> protection? The audience should all be wearing welding masks in case one
> of the unicyclists spontaneously combust really brightly.

This is the second most idiotic statement I've ever read.

Kurt

--
zogola

harper
November 11th 08, 01:37 AM

zogola;1129007 wrote:
> This is the second most idiotic statement I've ever read.

Those idiots. Can we ban them from the forum? Let's call them more
names. Bozos. Boneheads. I'm glad I'm better and smarter than those
clowns.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith

Jerrick
November 11th 08, 01:41 AM
zogola;1129007 wrote:
> I'm sorry but that has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've
> ever read. Wearing a helmet won't protect your neck or back, but it will
> protect your BRAIN! Tumblers and acrobats are doing controlled rolls
> onto padded surfaces, you can't compare the two.
>

> Kurt

Yeah, cause we need our brain protected when our necks snap and we die.

Dont start calling statements idiotic because you do not agree with
them. Specially when you dont give a good reason to do such a thing

The posts you quoted were fine anyways, the first one made a valid
point that even while wearing a helmet, that doesnt mean your just safe
and perfect. While doing flips, that last thing I think of hurting is my
head, usually its the neck, and spine I need to worry about. And that
goes a long with the 2nd post you quoted. So if you land on your spine,
and now are paralyzed for the rest of your life, thats ok? Its idiotic
to mention protection for other parts of your body yeah? Its just the
great and all powerful brain that needs to be protected? Who cares if
other bones and limbs break, its just idiotic to even mention that
stuff.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

zogola
November 11th 08, 01:41 AM
Harper,

I don't care if someone wears a helmet or not. Their choice. They
deal with the consequences, if there are any. The two posts I referred
to imply that wearing a helmet is a useless notion. That is idiotic.
Do you want to argue that point?

Kurt

--
zogola

Seager
November 11th 08, 02:46 AM
Can the helmet people just put it in their sig so they can quit ruining
threads? That way we always know it's their opinion and they can keep
posting it.

I agree with them that helmets area good thing, but disagree that is
must be posted everytime time a picture of someone without a helmet is
posted. Throw it in your sig and then forever hold your peace. We'll
know your opinion. Same with anti-helmet people.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)

lunicycle
November 11th 08, 02:54 AM
seager;1129052 wrote:
> can the helmet people just put it in their sig so they can quit ruining
> threads? That way we always know it's their opinion and they can keep
> posting it.
>
> I agree with them that helmets area good thing, but disagree that is
> must be posted everytime time a picture of someone without a helmet is
> posted. Throw it in your sig and then forever hold your peace. We'll
> know your opinion. Same with anti-helmet people.

Amen to that!

Cool shots guys, looks like it was a great day!

--
lunicycle

zogola
November 11th 08, 03:01 AM
Seager,

Interesting idea. As you can see, I've added the suggested statement.
Jerrick and Harper jumped me for stating the obvious. It is better to
protect your brain than to not protect your brain. If everyone would go
back and read my posts carefully they would see that I never called a
poster an idiot, nor would I ever do so. I called their *posts*
"idiotic", and I stand by that. I've made many idiotic posts in my day,
and I'm sure I'll make many more. I choose my words carefully,
sometimes not as carefully as I should, but carefully just the same.

For the record, I never made ANY statement about the guy who did the
front flip. I'm impressed with his guts, and I'd never make a comment
about whether he should or should not have worn a helmet (his choice, as
I stated in my post).

If my stance isn't clear, lets argue in a PM. I love a good argument!

Kurt

--
zogola

Jerrick
November 11th 08, 03:27 AM
zogola;1129059 wrote:
> Seager,
>
> Interesting idea. As you can see, I've added the suggested statement.
> Jerrick and Harper jumped me for stating the obvious.
>
> Kurt

I "Jumped" you for calling the obvious idiotic.

There is nothing to argue here though, unless you want to argue that
even with a helmet you can still be heavily injured. Or if you want to
continue and say that protecting other parts of your body is idiotic.
But if you do, bring it on, and be prepared to lose, cause youll be
trying to argue against facts that are just as obvious as "Wearing a
helmet protects your head/brain."

Anyways, great attempt and great pictures.
Seems like the frontflip is something that will take a lot more
guts then actually skill(A lot of skill though. See, now you cant quote

that and be like "What?! Are you saying it takes no skill to do a flip?

Cause blah blah...). I however, am a chicken when it comes to it,
and since my big thick foam mat has been taken away,
wont be practicing it.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

johnfoss
November 11th 08, 03:44 AM
harper;1128660 wrote:
> I'm looking forward to the first back flip attempt. I still think it
> would have to be easier.

I don't think so, based on two bits of information, neither of which are
me trying it. First, I haven't seen anyone trying it yet, and the guy
gutsy enough to do this stuff probably have some idea what they're
doing. Second has to do with the mechanics of the body. If you've seen a
video clip of one of these flips, you can see the tremendous amount of
force the rider has to use, basically in a downward direction, with his
upper body to carry the weight of the unicycle up and around to get it
under him.

In a backflip, I think you get a lot more mechanical action from
compressing and exploding your legs while you (basically) start to go
over backwards. Then you can tuck, if possible, and straighten out at
the end to slow you down a bit. The mechanics are different with the
unicycle under you, which is not just extra weight, but weight that's
further from your center of mass so it takes even more work to flip it
around you.

As for helmets, if people want to debate that again please revive one
of the existing threads, which will save everyone a lot of typing.
Obviously Austraila has a different cultural approach to helmets than
many "western" countries. Or that competition was just organized by a
bunch of kids with no care for liability, but I think the former.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper

kidmuni
November 11th 08, 03:55 AM
johnfoss;1129078 wrote:

> As for helmets, if people want to debate that again please revive one
> of the existing threads, which will save everyone a lot of typing.
> Obviously Austraila has a different cultural approach to helmets than
> many "western" countries. Or that competition was just organized by a
> bunch of kids with no care for liability, but I think the former.

I don't think we have a different approach,
All the bike trial riders were wearing helmets.

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

padst3r
November 11th 08, 04:03 AM
kidmuni;1128905 wrote:
> The bike trial riders had helmets :)

Bike trials riders are sensible :p.Didnt you say you were going to get
some of the demo on film ?

--
padst3r

'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/padst3r)
Proud member of the Team Nelson Unicyclists
*)---':D, 6ft Static Gap

john_childs
November 11th 08, 04:06 AM
Has anybody noticed that they're all wearing Summer clothes and it's
almost Winter?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

johnfoss
November 11th 08, 04:34 AM
john_childs;1129089 wrote:
> Has anybody noticed that they're all wearing Summer clothes and it's
> almost Winter?

Yeah. Time to migrate! :)

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper

padst3r
November 11th 08, 04:38 AM
john_childs;1129089 wrote:
> Has anybody noticed that they're all wearing Summer clothes and it's
> almost Winter?

Its almost summer in NZ and AUS.Spring at the moment.Seasons are
different across the world.We are also a day ahead of you all

--
padst3r

'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/padst3r)
Proud member of the Team Nelson Unicyclists
*)---':D, 6ft Static Gap

zogola
November 11th 08, 04:40 AM
So... the fact that you are posting now means that the world is not
going to end tomorrow(for the rest of us)!

Kurt

--
zogola

kidmuni
November 11th 08, 05:00 AM
Yea I did film,

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

Unisykolist
November 11th 08, 06:09 AM
Who was the rider?

--
Unisykolist

Perfecting... 360 Unispins - Hop up 3 pallets
Going to UniNats 2009 :D
www.unisykolist.piczo.com
-Style of riding:- Street, Trials and a little bit of flatland

The.Mars.Volta
November 11th 08, 06:26 AM
oi kevin how did you get there?
and how did you go?

Can't wait for the video....

--
The.Mars.Volta

Coming Very Soon-*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the
first time in Australia! -> www.unicycle.com.au*
'Kidmuni.com' (http://www.kidmuni.com/Home) 'YouTube Account'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UNICYCLEORDIE)

samsta002
November 11th 08, 06:31 AM
I heard about that on facebook but had no idea it would be so big. I
thought it was just uni hockey. I definately would have found a way to
get there if i knew all those riders woul dbe going. Is there any other
big uni events simmilar in Aus?

--
samsta002

It's OK; luckily my neck broke my fall.

"Wow! Did you see that one-footer-no-eighty?!"

Hazmat
November 11th 08, 06:50 AM
samsta002;1129143 wrote:
> I heard about that on facebook but had no idea it would be so big. I
> thought it was just uni hockey. I definately would have found a way to
> get there if i knew all those riders woul dbe going. Is there any other
> big uni events simmilar in Aus?

Well there is UniNats and Unicon 2010 *was* going to be in Darwin.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

:D *'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)* :D

Andrew Mell
November 11th 08, 06:51 AM
samsta002;1129143 wrote:
> I heard about that on facebook but had no idea it would be so big. I
> thought it was just uni hockey. I definately would have found a way to
> get there if i knew all those riders woul dbe going. Is there any other
> big uni events simmilar in Aus?

yeah in April next year uninats (internationals) is on in Wollongong,
so if you can make it down for that, more riders the better I guess.

nexty;1128810 wrote:
> [image:
> http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v375/240/88/837175124/n837175124_4723464_3620.jpg]
> Miles.

my name is Andrew,
hehehe

--
Andrew Mell

Seager
November 11th 08, 07:18 AM
Wasn't there some talk about people trying front and back flips on
trampolines (on uni's) a while back? Not the same since you can't roll
out of it, but still interesting.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)

mikepenton
November 11th 08, 09:34 AM
Adrien Delecroix found frontflips easier than backflips in the months he
spent learning - he started by trying for a backflip.

Trampoline was one of the main stages of learning the trick. It's all
in issue 6 of Uni - The Unicycle Magazine.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)

Emile.m
November 12th 08, 12:02 AM
ntappin;1128668 wrote:
> That is pretty awesome, and I guess Harper is right, it is his own fault
> if something goes wrong and he isn't wearing a helmet.
>
> Who was wearing the KUA shirt?

You head is what passes first in a front, so you wont land on your
neck.

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

> I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
> luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y

kidmuni
November 12th 08, 12:11 AM
Emile.m;1129589 wrote:
> You head is what passes first in a front, so you wont land on your neck.

Unless you only make a half rotation, then your screwed.

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! -> * www.unicycle.com.au

isaactrialsuni
November 12th 08, 05:47 AM
WOOO! i was there! i'm the younger looking kid with the k1 shirt and red
n black uni just if u were wondering.

as for helmets... none of us aus riders even know wat a helmet is.

and rhys (the guy doin the flip) told me that he has the world record
for the first eva unicycle backflip. if u hav any info on it please show
us cause i can't find anything bout it.

--
isaactrialsuni

critter
November 12th 08, 07:30 AM
Nice, but use a helmet for new tricks. It's great to have spotters.
For spotting the landing, the back flip is easier:D

Can't wait until it's a everyday occurrence.

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!

sigve
November 12th 08, 08:18 AM
john_childs;1129089 wrote:
> Has anybody noticed that they're all wearing Summer clothes and it's
> almost Winter?

Fail..

You're from: USA
They're from: Australia

It's sad :(

--
sigve

_*Sorry_for_my_english_it's_not_great,_but_I_work_ hard_to_get_it_better_:D
*_

john_childs
November 12th 08, 09:05 AM
sigve;1129818 wrote:
> Fail..

The lack of an emoticon was obviously too subtle. :rolleyes:

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

lil rockmelon
November 12th 08, 09:22 AM
isaactrialsuni;1129783 wrote:
> and rhys (the guy doin the flip) told me that he has the world record
> for the first eva unicycle backflip. if u hav any info on it please show
> us cause i can't find anything bout it.

yeah i'm pretty sure he's landed it like last year or the year before,
but im not sure if any guiness book of world record people were there
when he did land it. which is probably why there isnt any info on it.
anyways yeah he used to teach me how to unicycle... thats how i know
him

--
lil rockmelon

-*šoO*~ LIZZYNESS~*Ooš*-

The.Mars.Volta
November 12th 08, 09:43 AM
i remember hearing about someone who reckons he landed a backflip, no
one believed him and i think still no one believes him until we have
video evidence....

--
The.Mars.Volta

Coming Very Soon-*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the
first time in Australia! -> www.unicycle.com.au*
'Kidmuni.com' (http://www.kidmuni.com/Home) 'YouTube Account'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UNICYCLEORDIE)

Hazmat
November 12th 08, 10:14 AM
The.Mars.Volta;1129828 wrote:
> i remember hearing about someone who reckons he landed a backflip, no
> one believed him and i think still no one believes him until we have
> video evidence....

That's true, but remember that most unique tricks performed go
unnoticed/unfilmed as well.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

:D *'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)* :D

Hazmat
November 12th 08, 10:17 AM
sigve;1129818 wrote:
> Fail..
>
> You're from: USA
> They're from: Australia
>
> It's sad :(

Maybe John has moved to Australia (in disguise) and has adapted to our
weather conditions. :D

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

:D *'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)* :D

Emile.m
November 12th 08, 05:06 PM
kidmuni;1129596 wrote:
> Unless you only make a half rotation, then your screwed.

You have to be really bad to leck on your neck on a frontflip.

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

> I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
> luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y

skilewis74
November 12th 08, 11:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^
I often see pro skiers and snowboarders under/over rotate and land on
their heads.

Impressive attempt, but more of a likelyhood of landing on his head
than most other tricks, so a helmet would have been good.

A front flip is easier to do and can be done w/ a smaller drop. In a
back flip you can see your landing and it's a lot harder to under/over
rotate, and if you do it's easier to bail.

One issue w/ wearing helmets and other protection is who pays the
medical bills? If you don't have insurance everyone else pays. If you
do, mostly you pay in higher future premiums, but also everyone else
(insured by that company, others, and for uni events).

I wear a helmet while doing just about anything challenging or on the
road (there are a lot of stupid drivers out there).

W/ brain damage, it just takes one bad hit, and is easier to protect
from than other injuries.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'

napalm
November 13th 08, 05:31 AM
i agree with skilewis74- on the front vs back flip idea. I was a
national spring board diver so i have spent lots of time on trampolines
and at the pool. With a back sault you can spot your landing after only
1/2 a rotation. With a forwad one you loose sight after 1/2 a rotation.

From what i have seen of the front saults attempted on uni's, it looks
as though they choose to go forwads because it is easier to set up with
the massive pre hop. I think it would be harder to get used to doing a
big backwards prehop-Especially for the street/trials riders who are
comfortable with the forwads pre hop from all their other riding
experince.

cant wait to see the first back sault, back sault 1/2 twist to roll out
etc on uni's.

mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff

Jerrick
November 13th 08, 08:01 AM
napalm;1130246 wrote:
> i agree with skilewis74- on the front vs back flip idea. I was a
> national spring board diver so i have spent lots of time on trampolines
> and at the pool. With a back sault you can spot your landing after only
> 1/2 a rotation. With a forwad one you loose sight after 1/2 a rotation.
>
> From what i have seen of the front saults attempted on uni's, it looks
> as though they choose to go forwads because it is easier to set up with
> the massive pre hop. I think it would be harder to get used to doing a
> big backwards prehop-Especially for the street/trials riders who are
> comfortable with the forwads pre hop from all their other riding
> experince.
>
> cant wait to see the first back sault, back sault 1/2 twist to roll out
> etc on uni's.
>

> mark

Goodgod would those look amazing! Specially when we can do it without
a tuck and be fully extended. It would be like watching the divers do
their spins and flips. =p

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

GILD
November 13th 08, 01:00 PM
corbin;1128846 wrote:
> Whoa, I can't believe that *no one* was wearing a helmet. That is just
> plain crazy! I guess we'll let Darwin take care of things.
>
> corbin

Preach it.
And no, I don't think I'm going to put my helmet-thoughts in my sig.
Every time I see someone setting a bad/dangerous example/precedent for
other, younger unicyclists to follow, I'm going to speak up.
Just the way I was raised I guess.

john_childs;1129825 wrote:
> The lack of an emoticon was obviously too subtle.

As subtle as a Schoppenhauer tank plowing thru a field of daisies.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'unihoki'
(http://www.sinco.hu/data/pic/size_1/session_061007_26.jpg)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx) 'mikefule'
(http://tinyurl.com/yh6vna) 'Seager'
(http://tinyurl.com/62anrw) 'bluntrm' (http://tinyurl.com/2bq8ol)