PDA

View Full Version : Road Hazard! (this one was a first for me)

Rex Kerr
November 19th 08, 02:03 AM
I was riding to the store the other day during lunchtime and was looking
over my left shoulder to prepare to move over to the left turn lane.
When I looked back the car that'd just passed me had just run over a
rather large piece of plastic, about 5cm x 30cm x 1cm, which was then
launched it into the air by the tires -- I felt the breeze of this piece
of plastic fly mere centimeters away from my face!!

Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.

Dane Buson
November 19th 08, 02:10 AM

Freeeowww.

> Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)

Well, most days going to and fro work I do see one guy wearing a full
face helmet. It looks like a motocross helmet or something. It looks
hot, temperature-wise, not skimpy-bikinis-on-the-beach kind of hot.

I will admit I was tempted to wear one after I faceplanted.

--
Dane Buson -
"2) Users don't know what they really want, but they know for

November 19th 08, 02:18 AM
On Nov 18, 9:10*pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
> Rex Kerr > wrote:
> > I was riding to the store the other day during lunchtime and was looking
> > over my left shoulder to prepare to move over to the left turn lane.
> > When I looked back the car that'd just passed me had just run over a
> > rather large piece of plastic, about 5cm x 30cm x 1cm, which was then
> > launched it into the air by the tires -- I felt the breeze of this piece
> > of plastic fly mere centimeters away from my face!!
>
> Freeeowww.
>
> > Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)
>
> Well, most days going to and fro work I do see one guy wearing a full
> face helmet. *It looks like a motocross helmet or something. *It looks
> hot, temperature-wise, not skimpy-bikinis-on-the-beach kind of hot.
>
> I will admit I was tempted to wear one after I faceplanted.
>
> --
> Dane Buson -
> "2) Users don't know what they really want, but they know for
> * * certain what they don't want."
> * * - Manubay's Laws for Programmers

My only helmet is a full face. IME if I'm going to fall and mash my
head, my face is as likely a candidate as anything else on my head to
hit the ground. After shattering a couple front teeth I went full-
face. I don't wear it for normal commuting or most road riding, but
if I wear anything it's that. I know I get some odd looks from
people, but I got odd looks with no front teeth as well. The helmet
is cheaper and less painful. It's not hot though, very well
ventilated. My motocross helmet, on the other hand, can be hot on the
dirt bike. I'm sure it'd be sweltering on the pedal bike.

DennisTheBald
November 19th 08, 04:56 PM
On Nov 18, 8:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:

>... Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)
> - Dr. Edgar H. Earl, Rochester. (~1892)

Hey, only you can decide where to draw the line between prudent and
ridiculous. I mean, don't take my advice - I eat raw tomatoes and
stuff.

Dane Buson
November 20th 08, 08:15 PM
> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 9:10*pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
>> Rex Kerr > wrote:
>> > Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)
>>
>> Well, most days going to and fro work I do see one guy wearing a full
>> face helmet. *It looks like a motocross helmet or something. *It looks
>> hot, temperature-wise, not skimpy-bikinis-on-the-beach kind of hot.
>>
>> I will admit I was tempted to wear one after I faceplanted.
>
> My only helmet is a full face. IME if I'm going to fall and mash my
> head, my face is as likely a candidate as anything else on my head to
> hit the ground. After shattering a couple front teeth I went full-
> face. I don't wear it for normal commuting or most road riding, but
> if I wear anything it's that. I know I get some odd looks from
> people, but I got odd looks with no front teeth as well. The helmet
> is cheaper and less painful. It's not hot though, very well
> ventilated. My motocross helmet, on the other hand, can be hot on the
> dirt bike. I'm sure it'd be sweltering on the pedal bike.

I now know how cheese feels (well the grated kind anyways).

On a section of MUP on the way to work. Two ladies up ahead were
straddling the whole path. So I start shouting 'On your left' and good
while back, and again, and again. With of course no acknowledgement of
my existence.

So I started braking (well back from them), but didn't take it account
the scattered fallen leaves. So I slid out into the grass on the
side...and the chainlink fence there. Fun. Bruised knee, bruised
shoulder, some redness on face, light scratch on glasses.

I vented some profanity (not at the ladies) at the world in general. I
did suggest (politely) to the ladies that they might consider walking
more to one side or listening more attentively to their surroundings.
In their defense, it is noisy from traffic where this was. And of
course the onus is entirely on me to brake safely without hitting
stationary objects or people.

But admittedly a full-face helmet would have spared me a scratch on my
glasses. I was loking to replace them, now I'll probably pick up two
pairs.

--
Dane Buson -
<RadAghazt> I bought rice vinegar to make sushi. Now to figure out how.

Dane Buson
November 20th 08, 08:30 PM
DennisTheBald > wrote:
> On Nov 18, 8:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:
>>
>>... Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)
>> - Dr. Edgar H. Earl, Rochester. (~1892)
>
> Hey, only you can decide where to draw the line between prudent and
> ridiculous. I mean, don't take my advice - I eat raw tomatoes and
> stuff.

From some people's reactions, you would think cycling to work was like
living in some warzone. Where really it's pretty tame for the most
part (though I have given up descending Eastgate way).

People tend to over-estimate the risk of activities other people do
(especially ones they are not interested in), and under-estimate the
ones they are involved in.

Which of course means that personal data is kind of worthless (as we
should know).

--
Dane Buson -
"I had an IQ test. The results came back negative."

Frank Krygowski[_2_]
November 20th 08, 11:56 PM
On Nov 20, 3:30*pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
> DennisTheBald > wrote:
> > On Nov 18, 8:03 pm, Rex Kerr > wrote:
>
> >>... Perhaps we should start a facemask vs. no facemask thread? :-)
> >> * * * *- Dr. Edgar H. Earl, Rochester. *(~1892)
>
> > Hey, only you can decide where to draw the line between prudent and
> > ridiculous. *I mean, don't take my advice - I eat raw tomatoes and
> > stuff.
>
> From some people's reactions, you would think cycling to work was like
> living in some warzone. *Where really it's pretty tame for the most
> part (though I have given up descending Eastgate way).

It's certainly tame for me. Yet, because I ride into the inner city,
and ride on actual <gasp!> roads, I've had many people express or
imply fear for my life. They seem to feel it's just a matter of time
until I'm mugged, shot, or run over. Thirty years with no such
problems doesn't seem to matter to some of them.

I think it's sad that so many Americans are so afraid of the world
around them. In their minds, their cars aren't just transportation;
they're armor.

What a sad way to live.

- Frank Krygowski

Tom Sherman[_2_]
November 21st 08, 01:57 PM
Rex Kerr wrote:
> I was riding to the store the other day during lunchtime and was looking
> over my left shoulder to prepare to move over to the left turn lane.
> When I looked back the car that'd just passed me had just run over a
> rather large piece of plastic, about 5cm x 30cm x 1cm, which was then
> launched it into the air by the tires -- I felt the breeze of this piece
> of plastic fly mere centimeters away from my face!![...]

I have small "half-moon" dents on a Zzipper Road fairing from pieces of
chip seal kicked up by an oncoming car that was going rather too fast on
a rural road. I ducked behind the fairing to keep from getting shot peened.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

November 21st 08, 02:13 PM
On Nov 20, 3:15*pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >> Well, most days going to and fro work I do see one guy wearing a full
> >> face helmet. *It looks like a motocross helmet or something. *It looks
> >> hot, temperature-wise, not skimpy-bikinis-on-the-beach kind of hot.
>
> >> I will admit I was tempted to wear one after I faceplanted.
>
> > My only helmet is a full face. *IME if I'm going to fall and mash my
> > head, my face is as likely a candidate as anything else on my head to
> > hit the ground. *After shattering a couple front teeth I went full-
> > face. *I don't wear it for normal commuting or most road riding, but
> > if I wear anything it's that. *I know I get some odd looks from
> > people, but I got odd looks with no front teeth as well. *The helmet
> > is cheaper and less painful. It's not hot though, very well
> > ventilated. *My motocross helmet, on the other hand, can be hot on the
> > dirt bike. *I'm sure it'd be sweltering on the pedal bike.
>
> I now know how cheese feels (well the grated kind anyways).
>
> On a section of MUP on the way to work. *Two ladies up ahead were
> straddling the whole path. *So I start shouting 'On your left' and good
> while back, and again, and again. *With of course no acknowledgement of
> my existence.
>
> So I started braking (well back from them), but didn't take it account
> the scattered fallen leaves. *So I slid out into the grass on the
> side...and the chainlink fence there. *Fun. *Bruised knee, bruised
> shoulder, some redness on face, light scratch on glasses.
>
> I vented some profanity (not at the ladies) at the world in general. *I
> did suggest (politely) to the ladies that they might consider walking
> more to one side or listening more attentively to their surroundings.
> In their defense, it is noisy from traffic where this was. *And of
> course the onus is entirely on me to brake safely without hitting
> stationary objects or people.
>
> But admittedly a full-face helmet would have spared me a scratch on my
> glasses. *I was loking to replace them, now I'll probably pick up two
> pairs.
>
> --
> Dane Buson -
> <RadAghazt> I bought rice vinegar to make sushi. Now to figure out how.
> <RadAghazt> Ok. There are instructions on the bottle, but...
> <RadAghazt> they're in Japanese. At least I think they're instructions.
> <RadAghazt> This might say "death to all gaijin with this poisoned export rice vinegar" for all I know.- Hide quoted text -

I have a full-face, but it wouldn't get worn on a MUP. Actually, it
has, but only because that MUP led to some gnarly singtletrack, the
MUP was the route to the riding, not the riding. I don't wear it
unless I figure there's a good chance of my crashing. That means
technical MTB, anything trials-ish, most urban assault and skate
parks. I wish I could say I learned my lesson and wear it every time
i hit a skate park, but sometimes I'm not planning to and one just
calls out to me. That happened to me last night on my 29er. Man,
great bike for cruising around, riding over curbs, trees, small
children, mud, etc. but it's a beast and a half to try to manipulate.
I couldn't get a damn thing done in that skate park. I left in a few
minutes before I embarrassed myself further and/or hurt myself. I
learned shortly thereafter (in a parking lot with no witnesses) that I
couldn't even hop the thing on it's back wheel, or spin 180 on the
front. Practice is certainly required, but I think the bike is just
too big for that kind of stuff.

Dane Buson
November 24th 08, 10:56 PM
Frank Krygowski > wrote:
> On Nov 20, 3:30*pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
>>
>> From some people's reactions, you would think cycling to work was like
>> living in some warzone. *Where really it's pretty tame for the most
>> part (though I have given up descending Eastgate way).
>
> It's certainly tame for me. Yet, because I ride into the inner city,
> and ride on actual <gasp!> roads, I've had many people express or
> imply fear for my life. They seem to feel it's just a matter of time
> until I'm mugged, shot, or run over. Thirty years with no such
> problems doesn't seem to matter to some of them.
>
> I think it's sad that so many Americans are so afraid of the world
> around them. In their minds, their cars aren't just transportation;
> they're armor.

It's one of the things that I *like* about the bike. It forces me to
interact with the world around me instead of being closed off. I spend
enough time in a cube interacting with people only as email and IM
messages. [1] I do like seeing and saying hello to people I recognize
on my commute. Even if I only know them as "Older couple who takes a
morning walk the same time every morning".

> What a sad way to live.

Argue enough for your limitations, and sure enough they are.

[1] He says as he releases message to disembodied spirits in the void
via the NNTP protocol.

--
Dane Buson -
"If its sinful, it's more fun."

November 24th 08, 11:41 PM
Dane Buson wrote:

>>> From some people's reactions, you would think cycling to work was
>>> like living in some war zone. Â*Where really it's pretty tame for
>>> the most part (though I have given up descending Eastgate way).

>> It's certainly tame for me. Yet, because I ride into the inner
>> city, and ride on actual <gasp!> roads, I've had many people
>> express or imply fear for my life. They seem to feel it's just a
>> matter of time until I'm mugged, shot, or run over. Thirty years
>> with no such problems doesn't seem to matter to some of them.

>> I think it's sad that so many Americans are so afraid of the world
>> around them. In their minds, their cars aren't just
>> transportation; they're armor.

> It's one of the things that I *like* about the bike. It forces me
> to interact with the world around me instead of being closed off. I
> spend enough time in a cube interacting with people only as email
> and IM messages. [1] I do like seeing and saying hello to people I
> recognize on my commute. Even if I only know them as "Older couple
> who takes a morning walk the same time every morning".

>> What a sad way to live.

> Argue enough for your limitations, and sure enough they are.

We have a whole generation of children growing up with parents that
believe the world is too dangerous for their sacred offspring so they
protect them with every expense on can imagine. Not recognizing that
this is an enormous disservice to the children who grow up to be
accident prone and insecure when on their own.

We deal with enough insecure people right now on wreck.bike and we are
surrounded by them in their massive jacked up huge wheeled, multiple
roaring exhaust pipes and blackened windows. In the old west most
commercial buildings had huge false fronts. Those times have returned
for many citizens.

> [1] He says as he releases message to disembodied spirits in the void
> via the NNTP protocol.

Jobst Brandt

It's Chris
November 29th 08, 01:36 AM
Well, I wear an AeroShield when I ride, and althouh I haven't been hit
be flying plastic yet, it did prove it's worthfullness when a pigeon
dropping landed on it instead of in my mouth where it would have landed
had I not been wearing the Shield....

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"