PDA

View Full Version : UPS delivers packages by bicycle

Mike A Schwab
November 21st 08, 03:25 PM
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/2920388-45/story.csp

UPS delivers packages by bicycle
By Whitney Malkin
The Register-Guard
Published: Nov 21, 2008 05:00AM

Dodging car doors and ignoring the persistent complaints of his quads,
Jesse Wendel pedals, the 200-trailered pounds behind him a painfully
obvious shadow.

Most days, the UPS driver is behind the wheel of a mammoth truck.

But this holiday season, he’s downgrading from four wheels to two.

Slammed with extra packages for the holidays, the company is
dispatching its own fleet of bicycles on the West Coast to save on gas
and increase the speed of deliveries.

“With today’s economy we’re trying to find ways to conserve fuel and
lessen our carbon footprint,” explained UPS business manager Jim Hagle
of Eugene. “Anything we can do to get people in shape and reduce miles
— that’s what we want to do.”

In Eugene, the regional UPS center plans to use three bicycles, which
will save trucks in the region an estimated 17 gallons of fuel per
day.

By the end of the season that savings will add up: Hagle estimates
that he’ll save more than $38,000 in vehicle operation and upkeep
costs this winter.

Read more in Friday’s Register-Guard.

landotter
November 21st 08, 05:37 PM
On Nov 21, 9:25*am, Mike A Schwab > wrote:
> http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/2920388-45/story.csp
>
> UPS delivers packages by bicycle
> By Whitney Malkin
> The Register-Guard
> Published: Nov 21, 2008 05:00AM

I like the way he wears his helmet like a wee wee little yarmulke!
Very seasonal!

November 23rd 08, 06:55 AM
On Nov 21, 10:25*am, Mike A Schwab > wrote:
> http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/2920388-45/story.csp
>
> UPS delivers packages by bicycle
> By Whitney Malkin
> The Register-Guard
> Published: Nov 21, 2008 05:00AM
>
> Dodging car doors and ignoring the persistent complaints of his quads,
> Jesse Wendel pedals, the 200-trailered pounds behind him a painfully
> obvious shadow.
>
> Most days, the UPS driver is behind the wheel of a mammoth truck.
>
> But this holiday season, he’s downgrading from four wheels to two.
>
> Slammed with extra packages for the holidays, the company is
> dispatching its own fleet of bicycles on the West Coast to save on gas
> and increase the speed of deliveries.
>
> “With today’s economy we’re trying to find ways to conserve fuel and
> lessen our carbon footprint,” explained UPS business manager Jim Hagle
> of Eugene. “Anything we can do to get people in shape and reduce miles
> — that’s what we want to do.”
>
> In Eugene, the regional UPS center plans to use three bicycles, which
> will save trucks in the region an estimated 17 gallons of fuel per
> day.
>
> By the end of the season that savings will add up: Hagle estimates
> that he’ll save more than $38,000 in vehicle operation and upkeep
> costs this winter.
>
> Read more in Friday’s Register-Guard.

it would be nice if instead of ups the business went to small local
biker courier companies; bikers add a lot of character to urban
mediocrity

Dennis P. Harris
November 23rd 08, 07:55 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:55:41 -0800 (PST) in rec.bicycles.misc,
wrote:

> it would be nice if instead of ups the business went to small local
> biker courier companies; bikers add a lot of character to urban
> mediocrity

UPS drivers are Teamsters. I haven't ever met a bike courier
that would think of joining a union...

Luigi de Guzman
November 23rd 08, 02:54 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:55:06 -0900, Dennis P. Harris wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:55:41 -0800 (PST) in rec.bicycles.misc,
> wrote:
>
>> it would be nice if instead of ups the business went to small local
>> biker courier companies; bikers add a lot of character to urban
>> mediocrity
>
> UPS drivers are Teamsters. I haven't ever met a bike courier that would
> think of joining a union...

All the more reason for UPS to subcontract out to non-union shops.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

PatTX[_2_]
November 23rd 08, 05:00 PM
:::
:::: it would be nice if instead of ups the business went to small local
:::: biker courier companies; bikers add a lot of character to urban
:::: mediocrity
:::
::: UPS drivers are Teamsters. I haven't ever met a bike courier that
::: would think of joining a union...
::
:: All the more reason for UPS to subcontract out to non-union shops.
::
:: --
:: Luigi de Guzman

For all we know, UPS workers of this sort might have to be bonded. How many
of the local bike couriers are bonded?

Pat in TX

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home