PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Carry Pepper Spray ?

Steve Sr.
November 29th 08, 02:30 AM
Hello,

I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
ride off some of the excess!

Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.

Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.

Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
getting pepper sprayed.

Thanks,

Steve

Tom Sherman[_3_]
November 29th 08, 03:32 AM
Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
> ride off some of the excess!
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
> to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
> some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
> where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
> and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.
>
> Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
> in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
> immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
> suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.

I use Halt® with the handlebar clip on my handlebars.

> Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
> blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
> still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
> bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
> spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
> dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
> getting pepper sprayed.

Call animal control or local police and report the dog/owner as a public
safety hazard.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Steve Sr.
November 30th 08, 01:53 AM
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:32:13 -0600, Tom Sherman
> wrote:

>Steve Sr. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
>> ride off some of the excess!
>>
>> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
>> to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
>> some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
>> where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
>> and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.
>>
>> Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
>> in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
>> immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
>> suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.
>>
>I use Halt® with the handlebar clip on my handlebars.

Can you elaborate on the "handlebar clip" such as who makes it and
where to get it?

Thanks,

Steve

Tom Sherman[_3_]
November 30th 08, 04:40 AM
Steve Sr. wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:32:13 -0600, Tom Sherman
> > wrote:
>
>> Steve Sr. wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
>>> ride off some of the excess!
>>>
>>> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
>>> to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
>>> some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
>>> where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
>>> and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.
>>>
>>> Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
>>> in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
>>> immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
>>> suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.
>>>
>> I use Halt® with the handlebar clip on my handlebars.
>>

> Can you elaborate on the "handlebar clip" such as who makes it and
> where to get it?

I bought the clip with the Halt™ from my LBS.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the
precipitate. - Anon?

PatTX[_2_]
November 30th 08, 03:27 PM
:: Can you elaborate on the "handlebar clip" such as who makes it and
:: where to get it?
::
:: Thanks,
::
:: Steve

Try one of these:

http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/dogrepellent.htm

http://tinyurl.com/627ynw

PatTX[_2_]
November 30th 08, 03:31 PM
::
:: Can you elaborate on the "handlebar clip" such as who makes it and
:: where to get it?
::
:: Thanks,
::
:: Steve

Here's another source:

http://www.preventsecurity.com/productdetails.asp?c=-1&s=-1&sub=58&p=665

Johnny Borborigmi
November 30th 08, 07:46 PM
On Nov 28, 9:30*pm, Steve Sr. > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
> ride off some of the excess!
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
> to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
> some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
> where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
> and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.
>
> Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
> in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
> immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
> suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.
>
> Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
> blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
> still continues to try to attack the next day?

I carry it more for any possible HUMAN trouble more than anything. My
boot will handle a dog! A swift head kick will do the trick. Wear it
on the belt.

Frank Krygowski[_2_]
December 1st 08, 12:37 AM
On Nov 28, 9:30*pm, Steve Sr. > wrote:

> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
> to be used against vicious canines?

My bikes all have handlebar bags. I clip the Halt onto the outside of
the bag - or on one bag, just inside the back surface. Works great.

- Frank Krygowski

bluezfolk
December 1st 08, 07:15 PM
On Nov 28, 9:30*pm, Steve Sr. > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
> ride off some of the excess!
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
> to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
> some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
> where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
> and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.
>
> Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
> in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
> immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
> suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.
>
> Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
> blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
> still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
> bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
> spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
> dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
> getting pepper sprayed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

When I had to carry it, I placed a piece of masking tape over the
thumb opening. It prevented an an accidental discharge when reaching
for the cannister, and was easy enough to break with the thumb when it
was needed. BTW I carried it in my side pocket, usually.

Eric

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home