PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? (pointless rambling)

It's Chris
December 11th 08, 03:31 AM
Or does "Schwalbe" sound like something one would find on a department
store "English Racer" (casual upright) type bicycle?

(I'm taling about the NAME, you understand. I've heard the tires are
actually a very good quality)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 11th 08, 05:47 AM
"It's Chris" wrote:
> Or does "Schwalbe" sound like something one would find on a department
> store "English Racer" (casual upright) type bicycle?
>
> (I'm taling about the NAME, you understand. I've heard the tires are
> actually a very good quality)

No. Schwalbe is a Germanic name.

Continental is a much more English sounding (but the company is based in
Hanover).

What country does this tire bring to mind?
<http://www.danscomp.com/444120.php>

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

mark
December 12th 08, 05:34 AM
"Schwalbe" is German for "swallow" (the bird, not the verb). No, not a
name that belongs with cheap bikes. I must say, though, their best
touring tires are awful damn heavy for a product that's named after a bird.

mark

It's Chris wrote:
> Or does "Schwalbe" sound like something one would find on a department
> store "English Racer" (casual upright) type bicycle?
>
> (I'm taling about the NAME, you understand. I've heard the tires are
> actually a very good quality)
>
> - -
> Compliments of:
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> If you want to E-mail me use:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

Chalo
December 12th 08, 07:29 AM
mark wrote:

> "Schwalbe" is German for "swallow" (the bird, not the verb). No, not a
> name that belongs with cheap bikes. I must say, though, their best
> touring tires are awful damn heavy for a product that's named after a bird.

Perhaps didn't think "Büffel" had a nice ring to it.

Chalo

Jorg Lueke
December 12th 08, 04:26 PM
On Dec 12, 1:29*am, Chalo > wrote:
> mark wrote:
>
> > "Schwalbe" is German for "swallow" (the bird, not the verb). No, not a
> > name that belongs with cheap bikes. I must say, though, their best
> > touring tires are awful damn heavy for a product that's named after a bird.
>
> Perhaps didn't think "Büffel" had a nice ring to it.
>
> Chalo

Albatross is the same in English and German.

December 16th 08, 12:39 PM
On Dec 12, 2:34*pm, mark > wrote:
> "Schwalbe" is German for "swallow" (the bird, not the verb). No, not a
> name that belongs with cheap bikes. I must say, though, their best
> touring tires are awful damn heavy for a product that's named after a bird.
>
> mark
>
> It's Chris wrote:
> > Or does "Schwalbe" sound like something one would find on a department
> > store "English Racer" (casual upright) type bicycle?
>
> > (I'm taling about the NAME, you understand. I've heard the tires are
> > actually a very good quality)
>
> > *- -
> > Compliments of:
> > "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"