PDA

View Full Version : It's Winter, Time to Put on your Bike Chains?

rms[_2_]
December 21st 08, 01:00 AM
Neat homebrew project, might be good for deeper snow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11544279@N02/3122812531/in/set-72157611458557896/

rms

Peter Cole[_2_]
December 21st 08, 01:15 AM
rms wrote:
> Neat homebrew project, might be good for deeper snow:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/11544279@N02/3122812531/in/set-72157611458557896/
>
> rms

Bike chains have never been popular, I think there's a reason for it.
Even the guys in Alaska don't use them. Studded tires grip well on ice
and hard pack. Over a certain depth loose snow just isn't much fun, too
much work, but you want really fat low pressure tires, as for sand.

landotter
December 21st 08, 04:31 AM
On Dec 20, 7:15*pm, Peter Cole > wrote:
> rms wrote:
> > Neat homebrew project, might be good for deeper snow:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/11544279@N02/3122812531/in/set-721576114...
>
> > rms
>
> Bike chains have never been popular, I think there's a reason for it.
> Even the guys in Alaska don't use them. Studded tires grip well on ice
> and hard pack. Over a certain depth loose snow just isn't much fun, too
> much work, but you want really fat low pressure tires, as for sand.

Yeah--but I give homebrew chains +5million for style points!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home