PDA

View Full Version : Time of year to ride?

December 22nd 08, 07:35 PM
I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect? I
am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?

PatTX[_2_]
December 23rd 08, 12:20 AM
wrote:
:: I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
:: leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
:: swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
:: Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect?
:: I am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
:: later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?

Just wondering, but why are you riding into the prevailing winds instead of
using that knowledge to have the winds at your back? As far as the heat, I
have heard it takes about 3 months to do it, perhaps more. If you leave in
March, you will be in Arizona, etc., in June.

Pat in TX

cmcanulty
December 23rd 08, 02:39 PM
I agree go W to E get coooler weather in desert and warmer in east and
better winds

December 23rd 08, 06:20 PM
On Dec 23, 9:39*am, cmcanulty > wrote:
> I agree go W to E get coooler weather in desert and warmer in east and
> better winds

I want to go E to W because I want to be able to say I rode to my
son's home. But you have definitely given me something to think about.
Would the time frame March to June still be okay? Back to E to W - as
I stated in my OP, I am not a strong rider, so would 30-40 miles a day
in the cool of the morning or late afternoon be alright? Days are long
so I could take my time each day to cover the distance. The wind is
another factor.

PatTX[_2_]
December 24th 08, 01:08 AM
: I want to go E to W because I want to be able to say I rode to my
: son's home. But you have definitely given me something to think about.
: Would the time frame March to June still be okay? Back to E to W - as
: I stated in my OP, I am not a strong rider, so would 30-40 miles a day
: in the cool of the morning or late afternoon be alright? Days are long
: so I could take my time each day to cover the distance. The wind is
: another factor.

Yes. Wind. Here in Texas, the prevailing winds are out of the SSW or just SW
(and in the winter, from the Rocky Mountains). Some come from Mexico, others
from Arizona way. They can just roar over the plains because there is
nothing to stop it. West Texas is pretty flat and without a lot of buildings
or trees to block the wind's progress. One day I was riding about 18-19 mph,
turned a corner and was suddenly going 9 mph. It can be THAT windy,
especially in the Spring. It is like having a huge hand on your chest,
preventing you from going anywhere. Winds start picking up as the day goes
on, but they don't stop just at late afternoon. These last few days the
trees at my house have been just whipping around....and that doesn't even
give the effect of being out in the open countryside. I can get out and ride
in the Spring for 3-4 hours, but I wouldn't want to do it all day long. I
just have to gear down about 4 gears and grit my teeth.

Jeez, now I am depressing myself! Okay, go back and try to estimate the
weather in each area you'll be passing through at the time you want to ride
the trip. Would you have a late snow in March somewhere in the East?

Pat

Ron Wallenfang
December 24th 08, 03:40 AM
On Dec 22, 1:35*pm, wrote:
> I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
> leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
> swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
> Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect? I
> am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
> later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?

I think you're pushing your luck starting in March, though much
depends on you cold weather tolerance. You can expect some frost;
that has to be a concern in the south almost all the way to the gulf.
Snow is a lesser likelihood, but can't be excluded. Riding in the mid-
south in March is about like my riding in the north in late April and
early May. I've done that on some of my long trips, but there has
been frost, plus some days that never get much past 40F. In fact, I
remember one June day in southwestern KS that never got out of the 40s.

December 24th 08, 09:05 AM
On Dec 22, 12:35 pm, wrote:
> I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
> leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
> swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
> Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect? I
> am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
> later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?

If you have the gear and the huevos to handle cold rain, possibly the
most unpleasant of all common bicycling conditions, you will be fine.

That sounds like fun overall.

December 25th 08, 01:55 AM
On Dec 24, 4:05*am, wrote:
> On Dec 22, 12:35 pm, wrote:
>
> > I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
> > leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
> > swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
> > Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect? I
> > am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
> > later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?
>
> If you have the gear and the huevos to handle cold rain, possibly the
> most unpleasant of all common bicycling conditions, you will be fine.
>
> That sounds like fun overall.

December 25th 08, 01:42 PM
On Dec 24, 8:55*pm, wrote:
> On Dec 24, 4:05*am, wrote:
>
> > On Dec 22, 12:35 pm, wrote:
>
> > > I am planning a cross country trip (ease to west). I am planning to
> > > leave in the middle of March and go through Tenn, Mo, Kan, .. Co, and
> > > swing south (us 160) to Northern Az, and into Ca, and up coast to
> > > Santa Barbara. My question is: what kind of weather should I expect? I
> > > am not a fast rider (30-40 miles at beginning of ride and 40-50
> > > later). Can I avoid the cold in the east and the heat in the west?
>
> > If you have the gear and the huevos to handle cold rain, possibly the
> > most unpleasant of all common bicycling conditions, you will be fine.
>
> > That sounds like fun overall.

I won't be riding through Texas. Right now I plan to take the transam
to Colorado, then swing down into Northern Az via rt 160 to Williams,
west on I-40, and take old 66, where possible, into northern LA to
Santa Monica, and then up coast to Santa Barbara. If not March, what
month would be better? I was thinking March to avoid the heat later in
the summer in southwest. I plan to ride early morning and late
afternoon in southwest to avoid heat. Has anyone else done a trip
similar to this one? What was your time table? Yes, the wind does
concern me as does tornados that time of year. But I'll be 67 in
February and I'm thinking if I don't do the ride this coming year, I
may never have the chance again. My health is good right now, but who
knows about the future. I've ridden over the Appalachian mountains
from NC to southern Ohio a few years ago, so I've had a little touring
experience.

PatTX[_2_]
December 25th 08, 02:17 PM
:
[...]

One point: Texas isn't the only state with wind. Eastern Colorado is windy,
too, along with Arizona.... I am curious as to what you would be doing with
your time between say, noon and late evening. Are you camping?

Pat in TX

December 25th 08, 04:31 PM
On Dec 25, 9:17*am, "PatTX" > wrote:
> :
> : I won't be riding through Texas. Right now I plan to take the transam
> : to Colorado, then swing down into Northern Az via rt 160 to Williams,
> : west on I-40, and take old 66, where possible, into northern LA to
> : Santa Monica, and then up coast to Santa Barbara. If not March, what
> : month would be better? I was thinking March to avoid the heat later in
> : the summer in southwest. I plan to ride early morning and late
> : afternoon in southwest to avoid heat. Has anyone else done a trip
> : similar to this one? What was your time table? Yes, the wind does
> : concern me as does tornados that time of year. But I'll be 67 in
> : February and I'm thinking if I don't do the ride this coming year, I
> : may never have the chance again. My health is good right now, but who
> : knows about the future. I've ridden over the Appalachian mountains
> : from NC to southern Ohio a few years ago, so I've had a little touring
> : experience.
>
> One point: Texas isn't the only state with wind. Eastern Colorado is windy,
> too, along with Arizona.... I am curious as to what you would be doing with
> your time between say, noon and late evening. *Are you camping?
>
> Pat in TX

I do plan to camp some on the trip. But, I'll probably just find a
shady place in the late morning/early afternoon (if there is such a
thing) and just rest, do laundry, eat, ... In the east, I'll probably
start late each day and stop early each day during the warmest part of
the day.

PatTX[_2_]
December 27th 08, 02:14 AM
: I do plan to camp some on the trip. But, I'll probably just find a
: shady place in the late morning/early afternoon (if there is such a
: thing) and just rest, do laundry, eat, ... In the east, I'll probably
: start late each day and stop early each day during the warmest part of
: the day.

Reading this response makes me wonder if you have done your homework enough.
For example, if you are riding in Arizona midday and it gets too hot, what
makes you think there will be a shading place available? Have you looked
into the average temperatures of each state during the times you will most
likely be passing through? I have driven from Dallas to L.A. Have you? Do
you know what the scenery looks like on the way, how far apart the towns
are, etc.?

Pat in TX

Bruce Gilbert[_4_]
December 27th 08, 08:05 PM
"PatTX" > wrote in message
>: I do plan to camp some on the trip. But, I'll probably just find a
> : shady place in the late morning/early afternoon (if there is such a
> : thing) and just rest, do laundry, eat, ... In the east, I'll probably
> : start late each day and stop early each day during the warmest part of
> : the day.
>
> Reading this response makes me wonder if you have done your homework
> enough. For example, if you are riding in Arizona midday and it gets too
> hot, what makes you think there will be a shading place available? Have
> you looked into the average temperatures of each state during the times
> you will most likely be passing through? I have driven from Dallas to L.A.
> Have you? Do you know what the scenery looks like on the way, how far
> apart the towns are, etc.?
>
> Pat in TX

From what I understand, there are a lot of groups in Arizona that ride at
night.

Each year we drive from Houston to Las Vegas for Interbike and I try to
imagine people riding across some of those vistas. Riding locally on a group
ride is one thing, but cross-country, unsupported, through the desert,
mountains and open stretches does not seem like a terrific idea.

Bruce

terryc
December 27th 08, 10:46 PM
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:05:28 -0600, Bruce Gilbert wrote:

> Each year we drive from Houston to Las Vegas for Interbike and I try to
> imagine people riding across some of those vistas. Riding locally on a group
> ride is one thing, but cross-country, unsupported, through the desert,
> mountains and open stretches does not seem like a terrific idea.

Why? do the monsters come out then?

cooler,
depending on route there can be less/nil traffic,
moonlit views are different

Being usupported is just having plastic in the pocket. Most tourers have
tool kits, water, food, shelter, etc. and, if you can just do what you
want, hen there is nothing better.

January 5th 09, 08:33 PM
On Dec 27 2008, 5:46*pm, terryc > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:05:28 -0600, Bruce Gilbert wrote:
> > Each year we drive from Houston to Las Vegas for Interbike and I try to
> > imagine people riding across some of those vistas. Riding locally on a group
> > ride is one thing, but cross-country, unsupported, through the desert,
> > mountains and open stretches does not seem like a terrific idea.
>
> Why? do the monsters come out then?
>
> cooler,
> depending on route there can be less/nil traffic,
> moonlit views are different
>
> Being usupported is just having plastic in the pocket. Most tourers have
> tool kits, water, food, shelter, etc. and, if you can just do what you
> want, hen there is nothing better.

I've done weather.com for monthy highs and lows in most of states I'll
be going through. In the east, lows in each in 30's and 40's at night
and 40's and 50's during day. Later on (Mo,Kan), lows in 40'sand 50's
at night and a little warmer in day. In Co, Az, Ca, lows in 40's and
highs in 80's and 90's during day. I know there is not much shade in
desert. The main area of concern is from Co to Az from Cortez down to
Flagstaff. I really think I'll find some shade. Other people have done
this route - I've read numerous accounts so it is doable. I still have
not heard from anybody who has done the trip. Anybody out there?

terryc
January 5th 09, 08:59 PM
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:33:11 -0800, z2johnson wrote:

>I know there is not much shade in desert.

Umbrella? Shade tarp and one pole?

On stinking hot days, I tend to rise very early (before the sun), ride for
a while, break for breakfast then stop about tenish at shade/feature. Then
siesta for a few hours and move on after two/three. Light evening meal
at a rest. Then ride on into the evening as it cools.

NEVER accept a beer from a passing, kind stranger. YMMV, but in the heat
its effect is immediate.

Brian Huntley
January 5th 09, 10:17 PM
On Dec 27 2008, 5:46*pm, terryc > wrote:
> Being usupported is just having plastic in the pocket. Most tourers have
> tool kits, water, food, shelter, etc. and, if you can just do what you
> want, hen there is nothing better.

That's an unusual definition. To me, being unsupported while on a bike
tour means I don't have a SAG wagon or a truck carrying my gear, but
that I'm out there moving myself around - bike, kit, and kaboodle.

There *are* issues in places where water is hard to come by.

January 6th 09, 02:50 AM
On Jan 5, 5:17*pm, Brian Huntley > wrote:
> On Dec 27 2008, 5:46*pm, terryc > wrote:
>
> > Being usupported is just having plastic in the pocket. Most tourers have
> > tool kits, water, food, shelter, etc. and, if you can just do what you
> > want, hen there is nothing better.
>
> That's an unusual definition. To me, being unsupported while on a bike
> tour means I don't have a SAG wagon or a truck carrying my gear, but
> that I'm out there moving myself around - bike, kit, and kaboodle.
>
> There *are* issues in places where water is hard to come by.

This is kinda what I had in mind. Ride early and late. And, of course,
lots of water! Will probably be in Az and Ca middle of May through
June. What is weather like then? Umbrella/tarp is a great idea!

Brian Huntley
January 6th 09, 04:13 AM
On Jan 5, 9:50*pm, wrote:
> On Jan 5, 5:17*pm, Brian Huntley > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 27 2008, 5:46*pm, terryc > wrote:
>
> > > Being usupported is just having plastic in the pocket. Most tourers have
> > > tool kits, water, food, shelter, etc. and, if you can just do what you
> > > want, hen there is nothing better.
>
> > That's an unusual definition. To me, being unsupported while on a bike
> > tour means I don't have a SAG wagon or a truck carrying my gear, but
> > that I'm out there moving myself around - bike, kit, and kaboodle.
>
> > There *are* issues in places where water is hard to come by.
>
> This is kinda what I had in mind. Ride early and late. And, of course,
> lots of water! Will probably be in Az and Ca middle of May through
> June. What is weather like then? Umbrella/tarp is a great idea!

I haven't been in Az or California's deserts for decades, so I'm the
wrong person to ask. But do you know about Crazyguyonabike.com ? Many,
MANY journals there including people who've crossed the Mojave, the
Great Sandy, Death Valley, etc. Good search tool, too, to help you
look.

Oh, and the shade-tarp idea has been mention by at least one trans-
Australian rider there, if I recall correctly. Seems like a brilliant
idea. But you still need water.

(Then again, there was that French odd-ball who went west from Dakar
with only 2 bottles - mentioned in passing in another journal last
year. He just waited for cars when he ran low and waved his bottles
around. As far as I know, he made it.)

PatTX[_2_]
January 6th 09, 02:40 PM
: This is kinda what I had in mind. Ride early and late. And, of course,
: lots of water! Will probably be in Az and Ca middle of May through
: June. What is weather like then? Umbrella/tarp is a great idea!

Have you decided to carry lights on your bike?

Pat

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home