PDA

View Full Version : A question about group etiquette

December 23rd 08, 06:37 PM
I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
ordinary interest?

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.

retro

December 23rd 08, 07:02 PM
On Dec 23, 1:37*pm, wrote:
> I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
> attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
> message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
> the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
> ordinary interest?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>
> retro

what do you think ? someone's going to hunt you down and shoot you if
you do ? usually I don't bother with ebay links; I suspect most here
are of the same mind in that respect; however, there will be one or
two who might take a look and report back if it is worth noticing.

Bill Sornson[_3_]
December 23rd 08, 11:10 PM
wrote:
> I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
> attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
> message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
> the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
> ordinary interest?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>
> retro

A special item offered one time only? Most would welcome it as interesting
if nothing more. (Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
under his latest political hit piece.)

Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
rec.marketplace, spammer."

Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.

catzz66[_2_]
December 23rd 08, 11:43 PM
wrote:
> I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
> attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
> message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
> the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
> ordinary interest?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>
> retro

Etiquette has kind of gone by the wayside considering all of the
political posts that some people cannot resist making, but I still would
not promote my own eBay sale here, if I had one. Supposedly, that is
what rec.bicycles.marketplace is for.

PatTX[_2_]
December 24th 08, 01:10 AM
wrote:
:: I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
:: attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting
:: a message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
:: the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater
:: than ordinary interest?
::
:: Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
::
:: retro

You might want to consider that doing so is against the contract you signed
with Ebay. You can get thrown out of there from spamming a newsgroup.

Pat

December 24th 08, 02:57 PM
I'm glad I asked!

OK, rec.bicycles.marketplace it is, then.

Leo Lichtman[_2_]
December 24th 08, 10:04 PM
"PatTX" wrote: You might want to consider that doing so is against the
contract you signed
> with Ebay. You can get thrown out of there from spamming a newsgroup.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your contract is not to sell it outside of e-bay while it is listed there.
Why would they object to your publicizing an e-bay listing.? If it helps the
item sell, it helps the buyer, the seller, and e-bay.

And you're saying that e-bay cares whether you spam a newsgroup? Why would
this interest them?

The OP was asking whether this would be considered spamming (that's what he
meant by "etiquette.") Most of us didn't seem to object to an interesting,
one-time reference.

PatTX[_2_]
December 25th 08, 02:28 AM
:: "PatTX" wrote: You might want to consider that doing so is against
:: the contract you signed
::: with Ebay. You can get thrown out of there from spamming a
::: newsgroup.
:: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:: Your contract is not to sell it outside of e-bay while it is listed
:: there. Why would they object to your publicizing an e-bay listing.?
:: If it helps the item sell, it helps the buyer, the seller, and e-bay.

I don't know why they object; you might ask them. I just know they DO
object.

::
:: And you're saying that e-bay cares whether you spam a newsgroup?
:: Why would this interest them?

You might ask them. Maybe they don't want to be associated with rampant
spam.

::
:: The OP was asking whether this would be considered spamming (that's
:: what he meant by "etiquette.") Most of us didn't seem to object to
:: an interesting, one-time reference.

Yes, selling on a newsgroup is considered spamming, whether one time or not.
It's not up for a vote: it's spam, plain and simple.

Neil and Diana
December 25th 08, 05:18 PM
On Dec 23, 4:10*pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
> > attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
> > message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
> > the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
> > ordinary interest?
>
> > Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>
> > retro
>
> A special item offered one time only? *Most would welcome it as interesting
> if nothing more. *(Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
> under his latest political hit piece.)
>
> Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
> rec.marketplace, spammer."
>
> Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.

Let it GOOOOOOOooooooo, Bill.

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 05:20 PM
On Dec 23, 4:10*pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
> > attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
> > message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
> > the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
> > ordinary interest?
>
> > Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>
> > retro
>
> A special item offered one time only? *Most would welcome it as interesting
> if nothing more. *(Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
> under his latest political hit piece.)
>
> Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
> rec.marketplace, spammer."
>
> Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.

Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.

Bill Sornson[_3_]
December 25th 08, 05:26 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 23, 4:10 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
>>> attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by
>>> posting a message about it in this group. But would it be proper to
>>> do so if the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of
>>> greater than ordinary interest?
>>
>>> Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>>
>>> retro
>>
>> A special item offered one time only? Most would welcome it as
>> interesting if nothing more. (Jobst might tell you it's posted to
>> the wrong ng, right under his latest political hit piece.)
>>
>> Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it
>> to rec.marketplace, spammer."
>>
>> Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's
>> around!" S.

(The OP asked about proper newsgroup postings. IOW, it was on topic.)

> Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.

How's that Magic Flying Prus (sic), Neil?

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 25th 08, 05:31 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 23, 4:10 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
>>> attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
>>> message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
>>> the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
>>> ordinary interest?
>>> Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.
>>> retro
>> A special item offered one time only? Most would welcome it as interesting
>> if nothing more. (Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
>> under his latest political hit piece.)
>>
>> Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
>> rec.marketplace, spammer."
>>
>> Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.
>
> Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.

I preferred the vertical version.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 05:40 PM
On Dec 25, 10:26*am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:

> >> A special item offered one time only? Most would welcome it as
> >> interesting if nothing more. (Jobst might tell you it's posted to
> >> the wrong ng, right under his latest political hit piece.)
>
> >> Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it
> >> to rec.marketplace, spammer."
>
> >> Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's
> >> around!" S.
>
> (The OP asked about proper newsgroup postings. *IOW, it was on topic.)
>
> > Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.
>
> How's that Magic Flying Prus (sic), Neil?

Totaled. Rear-ended on the freeway. Me = stopped, her = 50mph.

But ... in re: that ...

Let it GOOOOOOOOooooooooo, Bill.

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 05:44 PM
On Dec 25, 10:31*am, Tom Sherman
> > Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.
>
> I preferred the vertical version.

,

..

[better? ;-)]

Bill Sornson[_3_]
December 25th 08, 06:04 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 25, 10:26 am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> Neil Brooks wrote:

>>> Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.

>> How's that Magic Flying Prus (sic), Neil?

> Totaled. Rear-ended on the freeway. Me = stopped, her = 50mph.

Wow. Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. (Like you needed THAT.)

> But ... in re: that ...
>
> Let it GOOOOOOOOooooooooo, Bill.

Still waiting for your citation/source showing that pot improves driving
skills! LOL

Bill "feel free to put me back in your plonk file, Neil" S.

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 09:16 PM
On Dec 25, 11:04*am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:
> >> How's that Magic Flying Prus (sic), Neil?
> > Totaled. *Rear-ended on the freeway. *Me = stopped, her = 50mph..
>
> Wow. *Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. *(Like you needed THAT.)
>
> > But ... in re: that ...
>
> > Let it GOOOOOOOOooooooooo, Bill.
>
> Still waiting for your citation/source showing that pot improves driving
> skills! *LOL

a) http://nintharticle.com/cdjune80.html

b) Let THAT ONE GOOOOOOOooooooo, too, BIll

> Bill "feel free to put me back in your plonk file, Neil" S.

c) I use Google Groups. No such thing as a plonk file.

Never DID tackle the true underlying issues, did you, Bill?

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 09:25 PM
On Dec 25, 2:16*pm, Neil Brooks > wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:04*am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>
> > Neil Brooks wrote:
> > > Totaled. *Rear-ended on the freeway. *Me = stopped, her = 50mph.
>
> > Wow. *Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. *(Like you needed THAT.)
>
> > > But ... in re: that ...
>
> > > Let it GOOOOOOOOooooooooo, Bill.
>
> > Still waiting for your citation/source showing that pot improves driving
> > skills! *LOL
>
> a)http://nintharticle.com/cdjune80.html
>
> b) Let THAT ONE GOOOOOOOooooooo, too, BIll
>
> > Bill "feel free to put me back in your plonk file, Neil" S.
>
> c) I use Google Groups. *No such thing as a plonk file.
>
> Never DID tackle the true underlying issues, did you, Bill?

In probably isn't too late, though....

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/literature/drydrunk.htm

Seriously.

Neil Brooks
December 25th 08, 09:26 PM
On Dec 25, 11:04*am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> Neil Brooks wrote:
> >> How's that Magic Flying Prus (sic), Neil?
> > Totaled. *Rear-ended on the freeway. *Me = stopped, her = 50mph..
>
> Wow. *Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. *(Like you needed THAT.)

Were you a better person when you were on the bottle, Bill ... because
you're really quite an asshole, now.

Just curious.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 25th 08, 09:43 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:04 am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Let it GOOOOOOOOooooooooo, Bill.
>> Still waiting for your citation/source showing that pot improves driving
>> skills! LOL
>
> a) http://nintharticle.com/cdjune80.html
> [...]

Hey, no advocating a natural remedy that might actually make a lot of
people's lives better. The little people are supposed to suffer, after all.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 25th 08, 09:45 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:04 am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> Neil Brooks wrote:
>>> Totaled. Rear-ended on the freeway. Me = stopped, her = 50mph.
>> Wow. Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. (Like you needed THAT.)
>
> Were you a better person when you were on the bottle, Bill ... because
> you're really quite an asshole, now.
>
> Just curious.

This feels like watching a train wreck (based on posts to RBM from the
distance past, Bill and Neil were once friends).

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Bill Sornson[_3_]
December 25th 08, 10:40 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:04 am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> Neil Brooks wrote:
>>> Totaled. Rear-ended on the freeway. Me = stopped, her = 50mph.
>>
>> Wow. Good excuse for more 'scrips, no doubt. (Like you needed THAT.)
>
> Were you a better person when you were on the bottle, Bill ... because
> you're really quite an asshole, now.
>
> Just curious.

At least my insults are based on /truth/, not slander.

Let's review. Whenever I commented /indirectly/ about anything you wrote,
you went ballistic -- including sending me numerous intrusive (some
threatening) e-mails. One was signed, "Respond/don't respond. It's your
choice. I do have you filtered, though, so--at least--I won't see your
e-mails. I'm just taking the high ground (IMO) here..." Classic.

Eventually we made a deal, Neil (poetry) -- you leave me alone; I leave you
alone. Worked fine for many, many months, until today you (and Diana?!?)
suddenly started humping my posts again. Multiple replies to some, even,
asking when *I* will let it go. LOL

I'll chalk it up to unusually high (even for you) intake of Vicadin and
leave it at that. I know you think it doesn't affect you, but trust me it
does.

As someone wrote me privately about you, "Neil has got to try harder to
correlate his galactic scale intelligence
with his subatomic class."

I told him (ooh, a hint) to not hold his breath on that.

Two things I despise are dishonesty and hypocrisy, so I'll take the high
(you know all about THAT LOL ) road and re-plonk you. FOAD, loser.

Bill "wonder why you chose NOW to come out from your hole, but guess I'll
never know" S.

Bill Sornson[_3_]
December 25th 08, 10:44 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:04 am, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:

>> Bill "feel free to put me back in your plonk file, Neil" S.
>
> c) I use Google Groups. No such thing as a plonk file.

Google Groups sucks. Use Motzarella and plonk me. PLEASE!

Buh-bye, Neil. Hope you get help for all YOUR underlying (lying under all)
issues. (Hint: main one is a long-standing drug addiction that's addled
your perception and sense of decency.)

*PLONK*

Neil Brooks
December 26th 08, 12:10 AM
On Dec 25, 3:44*pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:

[snip. It really doesn't matter....]

As always, you're rarely in doubt, but nearly always factually wrong.

Gosh, Bill.

I guess the real answer is: you were an asshole when you were
drinking, and -- presuming you ever really DID stop -- you're no
better when you're not.

I guess that's what's meant by "Dry Drunk."

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/literature/drydrunk.htm

Everything ... I mean EVERYTHING ... about it fits you to a tee.

You really should seek professional help, Bill.

Seriously.

What better way could you start off the New Year?

Neil Brooks
December 26th 08, 12:18 AM
How'd you do with reading that Car & Driver article, incidentally?

Do you EVER get tired of being factually wrong??

Just curious.....

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home