PDA

View Full Version : End of year numbers

Bill Sornson[_3_]
January 1st 09, 01:34 AM
5809 road miles.

Too few mtb miles to mention. (None since {road} crash in May that broke my
right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) Couple hundred or so, at least, so
that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way more than on my cars.

Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.

Little Meow
January 1st 09, 02:47 AM
"Bill Sornson" > wrote in
:

> 5809 road miles.
>
> Too few mtb miles to mention. (None since {road} crash in May that
> broke my right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) Couple hundred or
> so, at least, so that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way
> more than on my cars.
>
> Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.

2700 :bicycle
1000 :truck
600 :motorcycle

January 1st 09, 06:55 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> 5809 road miles.
>
> Too few mtb miles to mention. (None since {road} crash in May that broke my
> right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) Couple hundred or so, at least, so
> that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way more than on my cars.
>
> Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.

Bike 1: 80's Cannnodale Touring : 1283
Bike 2: 80's Specialized Rock Combo: 1257
Total: 2540

Including one great trip down the Salinas Valley, over Naciemento-
Ferguson Road to Highway 1 and Home again (Aptos, CA).

Most all miles are commuting miles, though.

Pureheart

Stephen Harding
January 1st 09, 07:35 PM
Total of 4206.3 miles.

All but 420 miles from commuting.

New year resolution (as in past years): do more
joy riding on weekends.

However, with a turbo-supercharged Irish Setter
in the family, weekend spare time goes for walks
and hikes!

SMH

Ron Wallenfang
January 7th 09, 02:22 AM
On Dec 31 2008, 7:34*pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> 5809 road miles.
>
> Too few mtb miles to mention. *(None since {road} crash in May that broke my
> right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) *Couple hundred or so, at least, so
> that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way more than on my cars.
>
> Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.

15,822 miles, fewest since 1995, due mainly to an horrendous winter,
but admit it or not, advancing age is also a factor.

Bill Sornson[_5_]
January 7th 09, 02:54 AM
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> On Dec 31 2008, 7:34 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> 5809 road miles.
>>
>> Too few mtb miles to mention. (None since {road} crash in May that
>> broke my right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) Couple hundred or
>> so, at least, so that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way
>> more than on my cars.
>>
>> Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.
>
> 15,822 miles, fewest since 1995, due mainly to an horrendous winter,
> but admit it or not, advancing age is also a factor.

Damn, Sam! Them's some big ol' miles.

Bill "old tired weak lame sick lazy" S.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 7th 09, 04:20 AM
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> On Dec 31 2008, 7:34 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>> 5809 road miles.
>>
>> Too few mtb miles to mention. (None since {road} crash in May that broke my
>> right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.) Couple hundred or so, at least, so
>> that puts it over 6,000 miles for the year -- way more than on my cars.
>>
>> Bill "6000 miles and never went anywhere...hmmm" S.
>
> 15,822 miles, fewest since 1995, due mainly to an horrendous winter,
> but admit it or not, advancing age is also a factor.

Oh come on, we only had ten (10) feet of snow last winter. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Tom Keats
January 11th 09, 09:41 AM
In article >,
Stephen Harding > writes:
> Total of 4206.3 miles.
>
> All but 420 miles from commuting.

I don't know what my end of year accumulated distance is,
but it's not very impressive. I've probably accumulated
more forklift miles than bicycle miles. My job + the
lengthy commutes it demands have severely curtailed my
riding time.

> New year resolution (as in past years): do more
> joy riding on weekends.
>
> However, with a turbo-supercharged Irish Setter
> in the family, weekend spare time goes for walks
> and hikes!

Irish Setters are wonderful family members. They,
and certain other canine sporting breeds (golden
retrievers, Gordon setters, American pointers, &c)
are practically psychologically human, so we can
readily relate to, and understand each other.
Note how this is the stock from which seeing-eye
dogs come. And if you enjoy hunting pheasants, a
Setter can't be beat for a partner. Especially when
the two of you have established a personal system
for locating the birds, flushing them, dispatching
them, and retrieving them.

In my observations, most city folks will opt for
anything /but/ sporting breeds -- they want working
breeds like border collies, or fearsome guard/attack
dogs, or those annoying, little, noisy, ankle-biter
things like Pomeranians. It's as though city dwellers
don't even know that sporting breeds exist. And they're
the most adaptable to either urban or rural life.
Of course, urban hunting dogs still need activities
that at least replicate or simulate the hunting tasks
for which they were bred.

And neither Irish Setters nor Afghan hounds are
inherently stupid. I think that myth comes from
some horribly inbred & messed-up dog show examples.

That said, one of the best people I've ever met was
a three-legged fox terrier named Jiggs. He taught
me all I know about the social graces. I probably
would've learned more if I'd listened to him more.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

It's Chris
January 12th 09, 01:55 AM
From: (Bill*Sornson)

>5809 road miles.

>Too few mtb miles to mention. (None
>since {road} crash in May that broke my
>right scapula and tore up rotator cuff.)
>Couple hundred or so, at least, so that
>puts it over 6,000 miles for the year --
>way more than on my cars.

>Bill "6000 miles and never went
>anywhere...hmmm" S.

Sigh. I remember doing numbers like that every year. Bu that was when
work was close enough to ride to and theree was an active, recreational
club nearby.

I pulled off about 1041 combined last year

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

It's Chris
January 12th 09, 02:00 AM
From: (Stephen*Harding)
<snip>
>However, with a turbo-supercharged
>Irish Setter in the family, weekend spare
>time goes for walks and hikes!

>SMH

I think I have the answer for you; bike joring. Get a harness for the
dog, a long (about 16-20 foot) leash, a retractible one is great, and an
extra large harness for yourself to wear.

String them all together, get on your mountain bike and hit those
trails, the dog running, you riding.

Do a google on "bike joring" for more info

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

terryc
January 12th 09, 04:11 AM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:00:31 -0500, It's Chris wrote:

> String them all together, get on your mountain bike and hit those
> trails, the dog running, you riding.

I am curious if you have ever actually done this yourself?

January 16th 09, 04:02 AM
On Jan 6, 6:22 pm, Ron Wallenfang > wrote:
> On Dec 31 2008, 7:34 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
>
><snip>
>
> 15,822 miles, fewest since 1995, due mainly to an horrendous winter,
> but admit it or not, advancing age is also a factor.

Wow, Ron, thems a *lot* of miles!

It's about 254,000 miles to the moon, I think....any chance you've
"ridden to the moon?

And, if I may be so bold, how old--roughly--is advancing age?
I, for example have been introduced to my 50's a few years ago.

Pureheart

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home