PDA

View Full Version : NON bulky WATERPROOF winter gloves

chrisc[_3_]
January 4th 09, 01:23 AM
Anyone have any luck with sealskins, pearl gavia or any other
manufacturer? I don't usually ride in the rain. But, if I get caught,
i want to be prepared down into the 30's. I want protection against
wet gloves, not a sprinkle. Of course nothing bulky. I know it's a lot
to ask for. Thanks

January 5th 09, 01:57 PM
On Jan 3, 7:23*pm, chrisc > wrote:
> Anyone have any luck with sealskins, pearl gavia or any other
> manufacturer? I don't usually ride in the rain. But, if I get caught,
> i want to be prepared down into the 30's. I want protection against
> wet gloves, not a sprinkle. Of course nothing bulky. I know it's a lot
> to ask for. Thanks

This will make me sound like the frugal (aka CHEAPY) guy that I am but
you could carry the plastic wrapper from a loaf of bread, to slide
over your existing gloves, for an emergency.

Lewis.

*****

Jay[_2_]
January 5th 09, 06:37 PM
"chrisc" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any luck with sealskins, pearl gavia or any other
> manufacturer? I don't usually ride in the rain. But, if I get caught,
> i want to be prepared down into the 30's. I want protection against
> wet gloves, not a sprinkle. Of course nothing bulky. I know it's a lot
> to ask for. Thanks

For those conditions, I generally wear Outdoor Research WindStopper Gripper
gloves. Around $45, from REI and other places. Not waterproof, but
comfortable. OK for light rain. They will dry quickly.

For a real cold downpour (near freezing), I have neoprene Glacier Gloves. I
think my model is 821BK from this link:

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_fishing.php

These are waterproof, but they do not breathe at all, so your hands will get
clammy.

J.

Ryan Cousineau
January 5th 09, 09:02 PM
In article >,
"Jay" > wrote:

> "chrisc" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have any luck with sealskins, pearl gavia or any other
> > manufacturer? I don't usually ride in the rain. But, if I get caught,
> > i want to be prepared down into the 30's. I want protection against
> > wet gloves, not a sprinkle. Of course nothing bulky. I know it's a lot
> > to ask for. Thanks
> >

> For those conditions, I generally wear Outdoor Research WindStopper Gripper
> gloves. Around $45, from REI and other places. Not waterproof, but
> comfortable. OK for light rain. They will dry quickly.
>
> For a real cold downpour (near freezing), I have neoprene Glacier Gloves. I
> think my model is 821BK from this link:
>
> http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_fishing.php
>
> These are waterproof, but they do not breathe at all, so your hands will get
> clammy.
>
> J.

I don't know if they're non-bulky, but neoprene cycling/paddling gloves
work great in the rain. They're so so below freezing.

If your hands are small enough that an XL will fit over your current
gloves, then dishwashing gloves are fine and compact overglove for rainy
conditions.

Chalo
January 5th 09, 11:41 PM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> If your hands are small enough that an XL will fit over your current
> gloves, then dishwashing gloves are fine and compact overglove for rainy
> conditions.

I was just going to suggest that! Alternately, industrial chemical-
resistant gloves are often available in larger sizes than dishwashing
gloves:

http://www.tasco-safety.com/workgloves/workgloves09.html

Industrial gloves will be harder to find in pink, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssgOW_K8vM

Chalo

Peter Cole[_2_]
January 6th 09, 12:54 PM
chrisc wrote:
> Anyone have any luck with sealskins, pearl gavia or any other
> manufacturer? I don't usually ride in the rain. But, if I get caught,
> i want to be prepared down into the 30's. I want protection against
> wet gloves, not a sprinkle. Of course nothing bulky. I know it's a lot
> to ask for. Thanks

I have tried both neoprene paddling gloves and industrial neoprene "ice
packer" gloves. I found them to be not so great in low temps (30's),
neoprene just isn't that great an insulator. Waterproof (fabric) gloves
usually aren't, at least in the price range I've tried. My solution is
to use waterproof mitten shells.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home