PDA

View Full Version : SUV bikes?

January 10th 09, 01:40 AM
Hello,

I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
bd_comp.html].

It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
bicycles?

Peter Rathmann
January 10th 09, 04:00 AM
On Jan 9, 5:40*pm, " > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> bd_comp.html].
>
> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> bicycles?

A few (incl. the Surly) are at the XtraCycle site:
http://www.xtracycle.com/home/hitchless-trailer/xtracycle-complete-longtails/

Tom Keats
January 10th 09, 04:34 AM
In article >,
" > writes:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> bd_comp.html].
>
> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> bicycles?

I like the idea of the Yuba Mondo utility bike,
and here's why:
http://www.yubaride.com/sustainable-mobility.html

But I hesitate to compare it and its brethren with SUVs.
Maybe buckboard wagons, since their engines are removable,
and they're so versatile.

Google on keywords:
"longtail bicycle"
and you'll find all kinds of fascinating stuff.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

terryc
January 10th 09, 06:30 AM
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:40:04 -0800, wrote:

> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes.

Does that mean it is crap and totally useless except for posers??

Mike A Schwab
January 10th 09, 02:12 PM
On Jan 9, 7:40*pm, " > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> bd_comp.html].
>
> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> bicycles?

The Big Dummy was designed to incorporate the xtracycle extension into
the frame, so any bicycle with the xtracycle extension (or similar
noncompatable longtail bicycle (about 1 or 2 other designs) are that
same class.

Ryan Cousineau
January 10th 09, 02:52 PM
In article
Peter Rathmann > wrote:

> On Jan 9, 5:40*pm, " > wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> > looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> > bd_comp.html].
> >
> > It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> > bicycles?
>
> A few (incl. the Surly) are at the XtraCycle site:
> http://www.xtracycle.com/home/hitchless-trailer/xtracycle-complete-longtails/

There's also the Kona Ute, not shown at the XtraCycle site:

http://konaworld.com/09_ute_c.cfm

XtraCycle will sell you a kit to convert a bicycle into a long-tailed
utility bike, which is how this whole subgenre got started. They're
reportedly very practical.

They can also be kitted up with this, a most practical electric assist:

http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

I am gratified to see that after a long hiatus, it has returned to
production.

Rob Lindauer
January 10th 09, 03:00 PM
terryc wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:40:04 -0800, wrote:
>

>> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes.
>
> Does that mean it is crap and totally useless except for posers??

I'd say just the opposite. As a bike capable of carrying cargo, it's
not crap. A poseur wouldn't be caught dead with one.

--
Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 10th 09, 03:36 PM
aka Cullen Carter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> bd_comp.html].
>
> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> bicycles?

This is THE pedal powered SUV:
<http://organicengines.com/products/the-sensible-utility-vehicle-aka-the-suv/>.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

DougC
January 10th 09, 05:19 PM
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
> bd_comp.html].
>
> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
> bicycles?

The general name is "longtails" in Europe, where they're fairly common.

The traditional use in Europe was to attach child seats to the
extra-long rear rack, or to have older human passengers sit on the rear.
For this the idea works well because a person's legs naturally hang
down to the sides.
http://clevercycles.com/blog/clever_in_europe/clever_in_europe-Pages/Image108.html

I maintain that the Xtracycle design is rather poor for cargo, however.

Much better would be a Bakfiets-style bike, with a large, open, forward
cargo area.
http://clevercycles.com/blog/clever_in_europe/clever_in_europe-Pages/Image23.html

Alternately a good trailer would work better too, I'd think.
~

terryc
January 11th 09, 01:03 AM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:00:31 -0500, Rob Lindauer wrote:

> terryc wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:40:04 -0800, wrote:
>>

>>> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes.
>>
>> Does that mean it is crap and totally useless except for posers??
>
> I'd say just the opposite. As a bike capable of carrying cargo, it's
> not crap.

Then why call it an SUV?

In this country, we had good old fashioned utes(you call them pickups)
with a good cargo tray. The current offering can not carry a good hay
bale and some twits has built a cage to enable you to carry half a decent
load overhanging the back gate. go figure. That to me is an SUV.

> A poseur wouldn't be caught dead with one.

That is all that buys them here. The tradies have moved away from the
goold old ute/pickup to table tops.

terryc
January 11th 09, 01:06 AM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

> This is THE pedal powered SUV:

Is there a decent picture anywhere?

not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 11th 09, 01:13 AM
terryc wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>

>> This is THE pedal powered SUV:
>
> Is there a decent picture anywhere?
>
> not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

Here is one set up as an rickshaw:
<http://www.organicengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BeachCab.jpg>.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Rob Lindauer
January 11th 09, 01:32 AM
terryc wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:00:31 -0500, Rob Lindauer wrote:
>
>> terryc wrote:

>>> Does that mean it is crap and totally useless except for posers??
>> I'd say just the opposite. As a bike capable of carrying cargo, it's
>> not crap.
>
> Then why call it an SUV?

I didn't

--
Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

terryc
January 11th 09, 04:15 AM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:13:48 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

> http://www.organicengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/BeachCab.jpg>

Thank, useful
Yes, seen the design before.

January 11th 09, 06:57 PM
On Jan 10, 8:06*pm, terryc > wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
> > This is THE pedal powered SUV:
>
> Is there a decent picture anywhere?
>
> not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.

I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.
But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I
often have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:

http://drumbent.com/trike.html (includes full build details)

What would I change? I'd thought of going to a fixed-boom flex-chain
FWD set-up, but that'd be a lot of effort, and the beast has worked
well over the past five years. I'll think about changing it if the
thing ever needs to be rebuilt.

Mark

terryc
January 11th 09, 09:30 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:57:27 -0800, mark wrote:

> On Jan 10, 8:06Â*pm, terryc > wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:36:40 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>> > This is THE pedal powered SUV:
>>
>> Is there a decent picture anywhere?
>>
>> not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.
>

> I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
> steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
> bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.

Does it stay on centre/ahead once you have it there, or tend to turn to
one or the other side? Is that response load affected?

> But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I often
> have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:
>
> http://drumbent.com/trike.html (includes full build details)

thanks. Very helpful.

January 12th 09, 09:18 PM
On Jan 11, 4:30*pm, terryc > wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:57:27 -0800, mark wrote:
>
> >> Is there a decent picture anywhere?
>
> >> not sure that lean-only steering is that useful.
>
> > I built a copy of one of these, and use it quite a bit. Yes, the lean
> > steer makes for a wide turning radius, and I needed to add inner-tube
> > bungee cords to help pull the front end back on centre after turning.
>
> Does it stay on centre/ahead once you have it there, or tend to turn to
> one or the other side? Is that response load affected?

Yes, it does stay centred, but that does depend on the amount of road
crown (some of our roads here in Ottawa have a fair bit of that). The
bungees more or less eliminate the crown issue. The response does not
seem to be load affected.

> > But the biggest improvement was adding electric assist, because I often
> > have to carry 200 lbs. of gear:
>
> >http://drumbent.com/trike.html(includes full build details)
>
> thanks. Very helpful.

You're welcome. There's more at my blog (though not a lot of posts on
it in 2008): http://drumbent.blogspot.com/search/label/trike

Mark

Dane Buson
January 12th 09, 11:58 PM
DougC > wrote:
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was looking around on the Surly website, and found a terrific
>> looking bike called the "Big Dummy" [http://www.surlybikes.com/
>> bd_comp.html].
>>
>> It appears to be the SUV of velocipedes. Does anybody know of similar
>> bicycles?
>
> The general name is "longtails" in Europe, where they're fairly common.
>
> The traditional use in Europe was to attach child seats to the
> extra-long rear rack, or to have older human passengers sit on the rear.
> For this the idea works well because a person's legs naturally hang
> down to the sides.
> http://clevercycles.com/blog/clever_in_europe/clever_in_europe-Pages/Image108.html
>
> I maintain that the Xtracycle design is rather poor for cargo, however.

Arguable. I've carried an awful lot on mine though.

> Much better would be a Bakfiets-style bike, with a large, open, forward
> cargo area.
> http://clevercycles.com/blog/clever_in_europe/clever_in_europe-Pages/Image23.html

With sucky handling and much more limited gearing. Hell, I like the
idea of the Bakfiet, but all designs have compromises.

> Alternately a good trailer would work better too, I'd think.

Nyet. Trailers suck in general. Though I will admit there are times
nothing beats a flatbed trailer.

http://flickr.com/photos/lgrst4/3181820569/in/set-72157612360573190/
http://flickr.com/photos/lgrst4/3181827053/in/set-72157612360573190/

--
Dane Buson -
"What's that thing?"

Dane Buson
January 12th 09, 11:59 PM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> They can also be kitted up with this, a most practical electric assist:
>
> http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/
>
> I am gratified to see that after a long hiatus, it has returned to
> production.

I'm trying to decide now where it fits in the hierarchy of needs. My
children nor my groceries are getting any lighter.

--
Dane Buson -
Live never to be ashamed if anything you do or say is

Ryan Cousineau
January 13th 09, 07:00 PM
In article >,
Dane Buson > wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> >
> > They can also be kitted up with this, a most practical electric assist:
> >
> > http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/
> >
> > I am gratified to see that after a long hiatus, it has returned to
> > production.
>
> I'm trying to decide now where it fits in the hierarchy of needs. My
> children nor my groceries are getting any lighter.

Yes, but your children are getting stronger. Time to make them pull
their own weight:

http://konstantin.shemyak.com/cycling/Tandem/

Dane Buson
January 14th 09, 07:58 PM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> In article >,
> Dane Buson > wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>> >
>> > They can also be kitted up with this, a most practical electric assist:
>> >
>> > http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/
>> >
>> > I am gratified to see that after a long hiatus, it has returned to
>> > production.
>>
>> I'm trying to decide now where it fits in the hierarchy of needs. My
>> children nor my groceries are getting any lighter.
>
> Yes, but your children are getting stronger. Time to make them pull
> their own weight:
>
> http://konstantin.shemyak.com/cycling/Tandem/

Yeah, I'm working on it and have most of the parts. It's matter of
having the time and energy to finish it.

My solution: Kidback Tandem Xtracycle.

--
Dane Buson -
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home