PDA

View Full Version : bike locater cell phone

ilaboo[_3_]
January 14th 09, 11:06 PM
anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
bike?

if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
locate a bike

what do you thinK?

peter

Dan C
January 14th 09, 11:38 PM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:06:37 -0800, ilaboo wrote:

> anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
> bike?
>
> if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
> minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
> bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
> locate a bike
>
> what do you thinK?

Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame? Do you think
the thief might notice that?

Bill Sornson[_5_]
January 15th 09, 12:09 AM
ilaboo wrote:
> anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
> bike?
>
> if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
> minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
> bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
> locate a bike
>
> what do you thinK?

BRILLIANT!

Leo Lichtman[_2_]
January 15th 09, 03:25 AM
"Dan C" wrote: Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame?
Do you think
> the thief might notice that?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll bet he would. Might very likely steal the phone and leave the bike.

I kind of like having my cell phone with me, just in case I get a call.

January 15th 09, 10:43 AM
Would be great if you could send an SMS message back that cut the
ignition. Or for bikes with electronic interface with the brakes
(BMW's with ABS, for instance), you could just tell the bike to lock
its brakes on.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

bluezfolk
January 15th 09, 06:11 PM
On Jan 14, 6:06*pm, ilaboo > wrote:
> anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
> bike?
>
> if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
> minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
> bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
> locate a bike
>
> what do you thinK?
>
> peter

Seems a bit impractical, you'd lose not only your bike but your GPS
cell phone too.

Eric

Paul O
January 15th 09, 10:07 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote, On 1/14/2009 10:25 PM:
> "Dan C" wrote: Whaddya going to do, zip-tie the phone to the bike frame?
> Do you think
>
>> the thief might notice that?
>>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'll bet he would. Might very likely steal the phone and leave the bike.
>
> I kind of like having my cell phone with me, just in case I get a call.

Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to call someone to come
and pick me up!

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Leo Lichtman[_2_]
January 15th 09, 11:08 PM
"Paul O" wrote: Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to call
someone to come
> and pick me up!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or you could call the thief and ask him whether he has your bike, and would
he please bring it back.

Mike Jacoubowsky
January 15th 09, 11:52 PM
> "Paul O" wrote: Also, if my bike gets stolen, I'm going to want to
> call someone to come
>> and pick me up!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Or you could call the thief and ask him whether he has your bike, and
> would he please bring it back.

Recent variation of that- someone stole a car with someone's cell phone
in it. So the sent a text message to the cell phone, along the lines of
some woman meeting to finalize a drug transaction. The thieves bought it
and showed up, and were arrested.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

January 16th 09, 04:11 AM
bluezfolk > wrote:
> On Jan 14, 6:06*pm, ilaboo > wrote:
> > anyone ever thaught of using a cell phone as a locator for a stolen
> > bike?
> >
> > if the cell phone automatically sent out a email request say every 15
> > minutes and cell phones are gps enabled you probably could locate the
> > bike to say within a circle of 50 feet---sounds like a kool way to
> > locate a bike
> >
> > what do you thinK?
> >
> > peter

> Seems a bit impractical, you'd lose not only your bike but your GPS
> cell phone too.

Some late-model, high-end cars now come with a GPS unit. Many of
them can be spotted by the minature "shark fin" antennas on the roof
near the back window. The feature can be used to locate the car if it's
stolen, or by repo people trying to get a car back from a delinquent
customer.
So I think the technology exists that could do the same for bicycles.
The only questions, could it be concealed so that the thief wouldn't be
aware of it, and would it be cost-effective? Unfortunately, I'm kind of
leaning toward "no" in answer to both questions, at least for now.

Bill "Frumiou

__o | Better is a poor and a wise child than an old
_`\(,_ | and foolish king, who will no more be admonished.
(_)/ (_) | --Ecclesiastes 4: 13

Mike
January 16th 09, 05:14 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 04:11:19 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

> Some late-model, high-end cars now come with a GPS unit. Many of
>them can be spotted by the minature "shark fin" antennas on the roof
>near the back window. The feature can be used to locate the car if it's
>stolen, or by repo people trying to get a car back from a delinquent
>customer.
> So I think the technology exists that could do the same for bicycles.
>The only questions, could it be concealed so that the thief wouldn't be
>aware of it, and would it be cost-effective? Unfortunately, I'm kind of
>leaning toward "no" in answer to both questions, at least for now.

They are doing something similar in the UK in high crime areas. Bait
cars and bait houses are being seeded with high value items like
laptops. They are fitted with GPS tracking which signals its exact
position back to base every few seconds (using mobile phone data
channels) The police can track the items movement from the point at
which it is stolen to the point at which it is fenced.

If the item will fit in a laptop which are notorious for their very
high packaging density then they should be suitable for bikes, but I
expect the price of them to be somewhat astronomical.

Using off the shelf equipment a typical basic hardware cost of
commercial grade "full size" hardware for both functions is around £40
in the UK ($60) - getting the hardware down to a size suitable for
bike mounting could easily double that. The off the shelf equipment
(gps rec, gprs transceiver, aerial, battery) will fit in a 1.5" -
1.75" cube.

--

January 17th 09, 07:07 PM
Phil W Lee <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:
> Mike > considered Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:14:57 +0000
> the perfect time to write:

> >On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 04:11:19 +0000 (UTC),
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Some late-model, high-end cars now come with a GPS unit. Many of
> >>them can be spotted by the minature "shark fin" antennas on the roof
> >>near the back window. The feature can be used to locate the car if it's
> >>stolen, or by repo people trying to get a car back from a delinquent
> >>customer.
> >> So I think the technology exists that could do the same for bicycles.
> >>The only questions, could it be concealed so that the thief wouldn't be
> >>aware of it, and would it be cost-effective? Unfortunately, I'm kind of
> >>leaning toward "no" in answer to both questions, at least for now.
> >
> >They are doing something similar in the UK in high crime areas. Bait
> >cars and bait houses are being seeded with high value items like
> >laptops. They are fitted with GPS tracking which signals its exact
> >position back to base every few seconds (using mobile phone data
> >channels) The police can track the items movement from the point at
> >which it is stolen to the point at which it is fenced.
> >
> >If the item will fit in a laptop which are notorious for their very
> >high packaging density then they should be suitable for bikes, but I
> >expect the price of them to be somewhat astronomical.
> >
> >Using off the shelf equipment a typical basic hardware cost of
> >commercial grade "full size" hardware for both functions is around £40
> >in the UK ($60) - getting the hardware down to a size suitable for
> >bike mounting could easily double that. The off the shelf equipment
> >(gps rec, gprs transceiver, aerial, battery) will fit in a 1.5" -
> >1.75" cube.

> Easy enough to disguise it as a cycle computer then.

Little question that such a thing can be done from a technical
standpoint. The next step would be to make it economically feasible.
There are dinguses available that you can carry in your shirt pocket,
that will send a distress call and GPS coordinates to a central
location. Just the thing if you're going out to sea, or into the Brooks
Range, or something, all alone. Trouble is, they're still up there a
bit. I think I've seen them priced at $200-400.
So now some intrepid entrepreneur needs to market one for bikes.
And/or, some zealous police department needs to start planting "bait"
bikes with such locators in high-theft areas like college campuses.
The next question would be how long it would take the thieves to
catch on and start disabling the gadgets...

Bill

__o | Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain
_`\(,_ | or freed a human soul in this world--and never will.
(_)/ (_) | --Mark Twain

Tom Sherman[_2_]
January 19th 09, 04:35 AM
wrote:
> Phil W Lee <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:
>> Mike > considered Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:14:57 +0000
>> the perfect time to write:

>>> They are doing something similar in the UK in high crime areas. Bait
>>> cars and bait houses are being seeded with high value items like
>>> laptops. They are fitted with GPS tracking which signals its exact
>>> position back to base every few seconds (using mobile phone data
>>> channels) The police can track the items movement from the point at
>>> which it is stolen to the point at which it is fenced.
>>>
>>> If the item will fit in a laptop which are notorious for their very
>>> high packaging density then they should be suitable for bikes, but I
>>> expect the price of them to be somewhat astronomical.
>>>
>>> Using off the shelf equipment a typical basic hardware cost of
>>> commercial grade "full size" hardware for both functions is around £40
>>> in the UK ($60) - getting the hardware down to a size suitable for
>>> bike mounting could easily double that. The off the shelf equipment
>>> (gps rec, gprs transceiver, aerial, battery) will fit in a 1.5" -
>>> 1.75" cube.
>
>> Easy enough to disguise it as a cycle computer then.
>
> Little question that such a thing can be done from a technical
> standpoint. The next step would be to make it economically feasible.
> There are dinguses available that you can carry in your shirt pocket,
> that will send a distress call and GPS coordinates to a central
> location. Just the thing if you're going out to sea, or into the Brooks
> Range, or something, all alone. Trouble is, they're still up there a
> bit. I think I've seen them priced at $200-400.
> So now some intrepid entrepreneur needs to market one for bikes.
> And/or, some zealous police department needs to start planting "bait"
> bikes with such locators in high-theft areas like college campuses.
> The next question would be how long it would take the thieves to
> catch on and start disabling the gadgets...

A couple of blasting caps and a trip wire could discourage disassembly
once word got around. Sorry, that would be illegal.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

January 19th 09, 02:41 PM
On Jan 17, 2:07*pm, wrote:
> Phil W Lee <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:
>

> > Mike > considered Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:14:57 +0000
> > the perfect time to write:

> > >They are doing something similar in the UK in high crime areas. *Bait
> > >cars and bait houses are being seeded with high value items like
> > >laptops. They are fitted with GPS tracking which signals its exact
> > >position back to base every few seconds (using mobile phone data
> > >channels) *The police can track the items movement from the point at
> > >which it is stolen to the point at which it is fenced.
>
> > >If the item will fit in a laptop which are notorious for their very
> > >high packaging density then they should be suitable for bikes, but I
> > >expect the price of them to be somewhat astronomical.
>
> > >Using off the shelf equipment a typical basic hardware cost of
> > >commercial grade "full size" hardware for both functions is around £40
> > >in the UK ($60) - getting the hardware down to a size suitable for
> > >bike mounting could easily double that. *The off the shelf equipment
> > >(gps rec, gprs transceiver, aerial, battery) will fit in a 1.5" -
> > >1.75" cube.
> > Easy enough to disguise it as a cycle computer then.
>
> * *Little question that such a thing can be done from a technical
> standpoint. *The next step would be to make it economically feasible. *
> There are dinguses available that you can carry in your shirt pocket,
> that will send a distress call and GPS coordinates to a central
> location. *Just the thing if you're going out to sea, or into the Brooks
> Range, or something, all alone. *Trouble is, they're still up there a
> bit. *I think I've seen them priced at $200-400.
> * *So now some intrepid entrepreneur needs to market one for bikes. *
> And/or, some zealous police department needs to start planting "bait"
> bikes with such locators in high-theft areas like college campuses.
> * *The next question would be how long it would take the thieves to
> catch on and start disabling the gadgets...
>
> Bill
>
> * *__o * | Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain
> *_`\(,_ *| or freed a human soul in this world--and never will.
> (_)/ (_) | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Mark Twain- Hide quoted text -

a zelous pd ? really ? where in the world will you find one ? just
one....

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home