PDA

View Full Version : 1st hard run

MeerKat
February 18th 09, 11:12 PM
Well i'm new to road bikes more of a runner. Went out for a cycle today &
completed a hillyish 53.77 mile course in 3 hours 15 mins. I was absoulutely
knackered at the 49 mile mark & if i'm honest struggled the last 4 miles.
Thats 150ish miles on the bike now & i love it. totally differant discipline
& muscles i never knew existed throb.

Already ran 15 miles Monday< Tuesday this week so legs ain't fresh..

Back hurts like hell but i'm adjusting bike as i go trying to ease it a
bit..

MeerKat

didds
February 19th 09, 12:35 PM
good for you! can you swim? Triathlon beckons :-)

50+ miles as soon as that in your new found bike loife is an excellent
sign.

When you struggled the last 4 miles was this because of muscle fatigue
or becuase you'd bonked? (ie ran out of glycogen?). Were you feeding
en route? Remember that a 3-ish hour bike leg is what a half ironman
competitor would be puttig in and they woud be drinking and "feeding"
constantly throughout.

Good to see you are adjusting the bike to get best fit etc.

Good luck! Next stop... L'etape!

:-)

didds

MeerKat
February 19th 09, 10:55 PM
Took 2 750 bottles with me one with high five energy drink, one with water
couple of high five gels & a couple of bananas. Ran out of everything apart
from the water & took my last gel @ 38 odd miles.
I'm pretty sure it was a lack of glycogen as it hit me so quick & once i was
home & fueled up again i had loads of energy. I run loads as well 30 mile+
base per week so have a good set of legs & lungs on me.

Must take the blame though as my goal that day was only 40 miles & i pushed
that last 15 miles out of stubborness i guess. Lesson learned though. Must
take more fuel with me in future i guess.

Back still aches a bit though but i'm sorting it out adjusting riding
position & trying differant small exercises/movements when riding.

Glad to hear that i'm in the right ball park as far distance & times are
concerned, as for the L'etape goes have a mate who actually got me into the
cycling discipline goes to France with his bike every year so i won't say
no.

Another question when riding hills is it best to stay in the seat as long as
you can or get up and attack, learning is what its all about for me at the
moment.

Daniel Barlow
February 19th 09, 11:54 PM
"MeerKat" > writes:

> Another question when riding hills is it best to stay in the seat as long as
> you can or get up and attack, learning is what its all about for me at the
> moment.

Staying in the seat is more sustainable. Gear down and pedal faster.

Having said that, getting up and attacking is often more fun, and on a
long hill on the "change is as good as a rest" principle you may find
it more comfortable to get out of the saddle from time to time

-dan

Nick L Plate
February 20th 09, 03:28 AM
On 19 Feb, 22:55, "MeerKat" > wrote:
> Took 2 750 bottles with me one with high five energy drink, one with water
> couple of high five gels & a couple of bananas. Ran out of everything apart
> from the water & took my last gel @ 38 odd miles.
> I'm pretty sure it was a lack of glycogen as it hit me so quick & once i was
> home & fueled up again i had loads of energy. I run loads as well 30 mile+
> base per week so have a good set of legs & lungs on me.
>
> Must take the blame though as my goal that day was only 40 miles & i pushed
> that last 15 miles out of stubborness i guess. Lesson learned though. Must
> take more fuel with me in future i guess.
>
> Back still aches a bit though but i'm sorting it out adjusting riding
> position & trying differant small exercises/movements when riding.
>
> Glad to hear that i'm in the right ball park as far distance & times are
> concerned, as for the *L'etape goes have a mate who actually got me into the
> cycling discipline goes to France with his bike every year so i won't say
> no.
>
> Another question when riding hills is it best to stay in the seat as long as
> you can or get up and attack, learning is what its all about for me at the
> moment.

You shouldnt be attacking hills just yet. You need to vascularise
those muscles you've just found, keep the pedal pressures low, spin
for more power, dont gear up for at least six weeks. Only after
you've developed a smooth high cadence, should you think of strength
gains. You have to learn the skill of turning pedals first. I think
if you're doing 3 hour rides, you should give yourself a complete
rest day in between. Carry fruit cake with you. Glucose tab's as
well. If you get stuck because of mechanial failure, you'll be glad
of extra food. Always carry more than you'll need in winter.
TJ

Rob Morley
February 20th 09, 01:19 PM
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:28:23 -0800 (PST)
Nick L Plate > wrote:

> Carry fruit cake with you. Glucose tab's as well.

He's a modern runner, so uses weird high-tech gloopy stuff instead of
proper food. :-)

MeerKat
February 21st 09, 11:24 AM
Yip modern runner indeed i'm 43. Gloopy stuffs lighter & easier to carry
whilst running. All the advice & fuels that have been mentioned are much
appreciated & i will start using.

Thanks

MeerKat

Google