PDA

View Full Version : Mirror on a bent

burtthebike
February 21st 09, 09:03 PM
Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that it
was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this kind
of beast?

Nick L Plate
February 21st 09, 09:11 PM
On 21 Feb, 21:03, "burtthebike" > wrote:
> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that it
> was difficult to look behind. *Any advice for fitting mirrors on this kind
> of beast?

Never done it, but you could try fixing one to your wrist, on your
coat.
TJ

Danny Colyer
February 21st 09, 09:36 PM
On 21/02/2009 21:03, burtthebike wrote:
> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that it
> was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this kind
> of beast?

You kept quiet about that. Whatcha got?

I've found glasses mounted mirrors to be better than bike mounted.
Google will find posts that I've made in the past comparing various
mirrors, but I'm now sticking with the Take a Look mostly because its
metal frame is much more durable than the plastic ones.

The Take a Look can be acquired from ICE:
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#Mirror

Others can be acquired from Kinetics:
http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml

I plan to be at the cycle forum on Tuesday, if you want to take a look.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

burtthebike
February 21st 09, 10:09 PM
"Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
et...
> On 21/02/2009 21:03, burtthebike wrote:
>> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that
>> it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this
>> kind of beast?
>
> You kept quiet about that. Whatcha got?

A TW-Bent, from SJS cycles. I've coveted a bent trike for about 45 years,
but I've never quite taken the plunge, due to lack of funds and cost of the
beasts, but SJS had this for less than half the price of a speedy, so I went
for it.

> I've found glasses mounted mirrors to be better than bike mounted. Google
> will find posts that I've made in the past comparing various mirrors, but
> I'm now sticking with the Take a Look mostly because its metal frame is
> much more durable than the plastic ones.
>
> The Take a Look can be acquired from ICE:
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#Mirror
>
> Others can be acquired from Kinetics:
> http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml
>
> I plan to be at the cycle forum on Tuesday, if you want to take a look.

Thanks Danny, and I'll examine in person on Tuesday. At least there will be
some point to a SGlos cycle forum for once!

> --
> Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
> Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
> "The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
February 21st 09, 10:37 PM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:03:10 -0800, "burtthebike"
> said in
>:

>Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that it
>was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this kind
>of beast?

Yes: do it :-)

I use mirrors on the recumbent and the tandem, not on any other
bikes. The Mirrycle is available at the moment I think, I have
tried a number of mirrors and this is consistently the least prone
to vibration in my experience. You can fit a mountain mirrycle on
the handlebars of most recumbents.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

_[_2_]
February 21st 09, 11:04 PM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:03:10 -0800, burtthebike wrote:

> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that it
> was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this kind
> of beast?

Mine is a convex discmounted in the end of one of the handlebars (they
stick up more-or-less vertically). It's quite convex, good enough that
with a bit of body english I can see the rear mudguard all the way to just
behind my peripheral vision.

Rob Morley
February 22nd 09, 05:03 AM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:09:52 -0800
"burtthebike" > wrote:

> "Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
> et...
> > On 21/02/2009 21:03, burtthebike wrote:
> >> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and
> >> noticed that it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for
> >> fitting mirrors on this kind of beast?
> >
> > You kept quiet about that. Whatcha got?
>
> A TW-Bent

Could you fit a regular clamp-on handlebar mirror at the top of the seat
frame?

Peter Clinch
February 22nd 09, 10:39 AM
burtthebike wrote:
> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed
> that it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on
> this kind of beast?

Roos & I both use a BuM Cyclestar on our 'bents (both underseat
steering bikes). It's got a handlebar clamp, 6" stalk and a ball
and socket at each end so you'd have to have a pretty weird machine
(a uni springs to mind...) not to be able to wangle it on somehow.

IME the lower/more reclined a 'bent the harder it is to look over
one's shoulder. While I still look over my shoulder to be sure
using a mirror greatly reduces the number of times you have to: if
you look in the mirror and there's nothing there you still want to
double check, but if you look in the mirror and it shows a truck
there, thgen you can be pretty sure there is a truck there, and no
double check necessary to not get in its way!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Dave Larrington
February 23rd 09, 10:22 AM
In ,
Just zis Guy, you know? > tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:03:10 -0800, "burtthebike"
> > said in
> >:
>
>> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed
>> that it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting
>> mirrors on this kind of beast?
>
> Yes: do it :-)
>
> I use mirrors on the recumbent and the tandem, not on any other
> bikes. The Mirrycle is available at the moment I think, I have
> tried a number of mirrors and this is consistently the least prone
> to vibration in my experience. You can fit a mountain mirrycle on
> the handlebars of most recumbents.

I've lost count of the number of Mountain Mirrycles that have
self-destructed from vibration and leapt into the undergrowth from the 'bars
of my Trice. It currently sports Blackburns attached to these[1]:

http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#Mirror

though they ain't cheap. When riding anything else I use a Take-A-Look
attached to my shades. I've only lost one of them so far, and that was a
freebie.

1 - it's got bar-end shifters...

--
Dave Larrington
Got a horn like a unicorn, man, except it's a whale!

burtthebike
February 23rd 09, 11:28 AM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Just zis Guy, you know? > tweaked the
> Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:03:10 -0800, "burtthebike"
>> > said in
>> >:
>>
>>> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed
>>> that it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting
>>> mirrors on this kind of beast?
>>
>> Yes: do it :-)
>>
>> I use mirrors on the recumbent and the tandem, not on any other
>> bikes. The Mirrycle is available at the moment I think, I have
>> tried a number of mirrors and this is consistently the least prone
>> to vibration in my experience. You can fit a mountain mirrycle on
>> the handlebars of most recumbents.
>
> I've lost count of the number of Mountain Mirrycles that have
> self-destructed from vibration and leapt into the undergrowth from the
> 'bars of my Trice. It currently sports Blackburns attached to these[1]:
>
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#Mirror
>
> though they ain't cheap. When riding anything else I use a Take-A-Look
> attached to my shades. I've only lost one of them so far, and that was a
> freebie.
>
> 1 - it's got bar-end shifters...

Useful site, thanks Dave.

burtthebike
February 23rd 09, 05:41 PM
"Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
et...
> On 21/02/2009 21:03, burtthebike wrote:
>> Just been out for the second time on the new bent trike, and noticed that
>> it was difficult to look behind. Any advice for fitting mirrors on this
>> kind of beast?
>
> You kept quiet about that. Whatcha got?
>
> I've found glasses mounted mirrors to be better than bike mounted. Google
> will find posts that I've made in the past comparing various mirrors, but
> I'm now sticking with the Take a Look mostly because its metal frame is
> much more durable than the plastic ones.
>
> The Take a Look can be acquired from ICE:
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#Mirror
>
> Others can be acquired from Kinetics:
> http://kinetics.org.uk/html/mirrors.shtml
>
> I plan to be at the cycle forum on Tuesday, if you want to take a look.

Cancelled at 24 hours notice, because of a clash of dates, which must have
been obvious weeks ago, and the next isn't for two months. SGlos rides
again! Or not.

Danny Colyer
February 23rd 09, 06:48 PM
On 23/02/2009 17:41, burtthebike wrote:
> Cancelled at 24 hours notice, because of a clash of dates, which must have
> been obvious weeks ago, and the next isn't for two months. SGlos rides
> again! Or not.

To be completely fair it was more like 27 hours, which was a good 20
hours better than Bristol City Council when they cancelled a Cycling
City meeting a couple of months ago!

Anyway, my offer seems less helpful now.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

burtthebike
February 23rd 09, 09:51 PM
"Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
> On 23/02/2009 17:41, burtthebike wrote:
>> Cancelled at 24 hours notice, because of a clash of dates, which must
>> have been obvious weeks ago, and the next isn't for two months. SGlos
>> rides again! Or not.
>
> To be completely fair it was more like 27 hours, which was a good 20 hours
> better than Bristol City Council when they cancelled a Cycling City
> meeting a couple of months ago!

Wow! what was the excuse? Snow?

> Anyway, my offer seems less helpful now.

Sadly so, pity, I'm quite taken with the glasses mounted mirror, and if you
recommend the type shown on the trice website, I'll probably invest.

Danny Colyer
February 23rd 09, 11:48 PM
On 23/02/2009 21:51, burtthebike wrote:
> "Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
>> To be completely fair it was more like 27 hours, which was a good 20 hours
>> better than Bristol City Council when they cancelled a Cycling City
>> meeting a couple of months ago!
>
> Wow! what was the excuse? Snow?

I think it was illness.

ISTR, in an example of joined up local government, the meeting had been
scheduled to clash with the S Glos cycle forum anyway.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home