PDA

View Full Version : My glasses are slowing me down.

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
March 2nd 09, 10:04 AM
Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This new,
low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an era when I
could go without spectacles.
Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when
I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
Roger Thorpe

pk
March 2nd 09, 11:18 AM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
> Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
> levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This new,
> low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an era when I
> could go without spectacles.
> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when I
> drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
> glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
> recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for middle
> aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and comfortably? I'm
> hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
> Roger Thorpe

Do you NEED your specs to cycle?

pk

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
March 2nd 09, 11:23 AM
pk wrote:
> "Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
>> Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
>> levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This
>> new, low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an era
>> when I could go without spectacles.
>> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are,
>> when I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the
>> "sport" glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone
>> have a recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses
>> for middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
>> comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
>> Roger Thorpe
>

> Do you NEED your specs to cycle?
>
> pk
regrettably, yes to go fast on country roads. I can get away without
them to commute, if it's raining hard, but then I have to be careful of
bad road surfaces.
Roger Thorpe

Peter Clinch
March 2nd 09, 11:51 AM
Roger Thorpe wrote:

> Does anyone have a
> recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
> middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
> comfortably?

How about contacts? Don't use them myself as I'm okay doing most things
without my glasses aside from reading signs at a distance, but various
cycling/paddling/skiing/walking friends that need some sort of
prescription for general use have them as their standard "system" and
seem to prefer them to glasses most of the time.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

_[_2_]
March 2nd 09, 01:44 PM
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:04:36 +0000, Roger Thorpe wrote:

> Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
> levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This new,
> low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an era when I
> could go without spectacles.
> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when
> I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
> glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
> recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
> middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
> comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
> Roger Thorpe

Cable temples.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 2nd 09, 02:13 PM
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:04:36 +0000, Roger Thorpe
> said in
>:

>Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when
>I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
>glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
>recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
>middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
>comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
>Roger Thorpe

I used Rudy Project Kerosene cycling goggles with prescription
inserts for a while, I still have them but rarely ride the drop-bar
bike any more. They work just fine and come with optional clear,
tinted and polarised lenses. There is a decent selection of such
goggles in the local bike shop. They are also closer to the eye so
keep airborne grit out rather more effectively, IME.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Peter Clinch
March 2nd 09, 02:28 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I used Rudy Project Kerosene cycling goggles with prescription
> inserts for a while,

I have Bolle Swiftkicks with prescription insert, and I /don't/
recommend them. The design of the lenses puts the fitting notch very
close to the corner and taking them in and out tends to break off the
corners. While Bolle's UK agent has been very good at replacing them
the fact is it appears to be a bad design.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Marz
March 2nd 09, 02:45 PM
On Mar 2, 4:04*am, Roger Thorpe > wrote:
> Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
> levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This new,
> low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an era when I
> could go without spectacles.
> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when
> I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
> glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
> recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
> middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
> comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.
> Roger Thorpe

Contacts, I got them for cycling only and so far they've been great.
Allowing me to get in a really low tuck and still see forward and
also, they allow me to wear any shades I can afford.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 2nd 09, 02:51 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 06:45:54 -0800 (PST), Marz
> said in
>:

>Contacts, I got them for cycling only and so far they've been great.
>Allowing me to get in a really low tuck and still see forward and
>also, they allow me to wear any shades I can afford.

Although contacts may not be an option, especially if one has
astigmatism.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Rob Morley
March 2nd 09, 03:35 PM
Roger Thorpe > wrote:

> Out on the bike this weekend I noticed that my bars extend beyond the
> levers and are bent in a way that could accommodate my hands. This
> new, low position seemed familiar, maybe I've used it before in an
> era when I could go without spectacles.
> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are,
> when I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the
> "sport" glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone
> have a recommendation for something that will hold prescription
> lenses for middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops
> safely and comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player
> solution.

If I press down on the back end of the arms on my reading glasses the
lenses flip up into just the right position for head-down riding.
Obviously pointless, as they're reading glasses so I don't wear them
for cycling, but if I did I imagine a solution involving string and
rubber bands might do the job. :-)

March 2nd 09, 04:44 PM
On 2 Mar, 15:35, Rob Morley > wrote:
> If I press down on the back end of the arms on my reading glasses the
> lenses flip up into just the right position for head-down riding.
> Obviously pointless, as they're reading glasses so I don't wear them
> for cycling, but if I did I imagine a solution involving string and
> rubber bands might do the job. *:-)

They'd need to flip down again when you sit up straight, so maybe the
string needs to connect to your chest so as to pull the back ends of
the arms down when you bend your head backwards. Or maybe a pendulum
counterweight affair that causes the glasses arms to pivot about the
ears and remain horizontal no matter what angle the head is at.

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
March 2nd 09, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.
I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.
The Rudy Project glasses sound good, but I can't help feeling that I'm
spending money for "designer" qualities rather than functional ones.
Do any of the high street opticians sell these sports glasses? I have
found a website that does it, but I think that I need to try them on.
Roger Thorpe

Nobby Anderson
March 2nd 09, 05:00 PM
Roger Thorpe > wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendations.
> I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.

Um check with you Optician if you want to consider contacts, they are
available for astigmatism unless it's very bad, and even then they can
supply them to correct some or most of the astigmatism and any near/far
problems.

I was surprised, I'd never considered contacts for just that reason but
asked on the offchance last time I was in and was told that they are
available (they're weighted to hold them at the right angle so presumably
only work if your head is not on its side). However it's too late for
me to get them for general use - I need varifocals now.

Nobby

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 2nd 09, 05:04 PM
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:00:47 -0600, Nobby Anderson
> said in
>:

>Um check with you Optician if you want to consider contacts, they are
>available for astigmatism unless it's very bad, and even then they can
>supply them to correct some or most of the astigmatism and any near/far
>problems.

Available, yes. But whether they work is another matter. In my
case the corrected vision was consistently worse and the lenses kept
slipping out of alignment. Result: poor vision and a headache.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

lardyninja
March 2nd 09, 05:21 PM
Roger Thorpe wrote, On 02/03/2009 16:45:
> Thanks for the recommendations.
> I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.

Several manufacturers make daily disposable toric lenses which you can
try out from most opticians. Also if you only wear them for cycling then
you don't really need your vision to be 100% cos you can just bin them
at the end of the ride and use glasses.

LN

--

Professor of Madeupology at the
University of Myhouse

Danny Colyer
March 2nd 09, 05:24 PM
On 02/03/2009 16:45, Roger Thorpe wrote:
> Do any of the high street opticians sell these sports glasses? I have
> found a website that does it, but I think that I need to try them on.

If it's Optilabs, I can highly recommend them for quality and service.
As I ride a recumbent I have no experience of using them on the drops,
but I've just tried bending over and looking over the top of my Scorch
glasses and I *wouldn't* recommend them as a solution to your problem.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

No Name
March 2nd 09, 05:32 PM
On 2 Mar,
Nobby Anderson > wrote:

> Um check with you Optician if you want to consider contacts, they are
> available for astigmatism unless it's very bad, and even then they can
> supply them to correct some or most of the astigmatism and any near/far
> problems.

I had hard contact lenses many years ago. I have severe astigmatism. they
worked very well until I became allergic to them.

> I was surprised, I'd never considered contacts for just that reason but
> asked on the offchance last time I was in and was told that they are
> available (they're weighted to hold them at the right angle so presumably
> only work if your head is not on its side).

My son with similar astigmatism says that toriq (weighted) lenses aren't
verygood when your head is tilted.

> However it's too late for me to get them for general use - I need
> varifocals now.

I'm sticking with bifocals after trying varifocals, More area in focus at any
one time. I could do with some better system on the bike to prevent my stiff
neck, the price of prescription shades is too high for me.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

TerryJ
March 2nd 09, 05:59 PM
> but I've just tried bending over and looking over the top of my Scorch
> glasses and I *wouldn't* recommend them as a solution to your problem.

I only use reading glasses , so this is not an option for me, but why
have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser?
Now that it has been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly safe.

pk
March 2nd 09, 06:11 PM
"terryj" > wrote in message

> have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser?
> Now that it has been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly
> safe.

My best buddy is an optician - he strongly advises against. the key risk is
light scattering from scar tissue destroying vision at nigh

pk

Andrew Price
March 2nd 09, 07:20 PM
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 16:45:35 +0000, Roger Thorpe
> wrote:

>I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.

Have you tried? I am also astigmatic in one eye, but although this is
not corrected by my contact lenses, for cycling this is not a problem
for me.

No Name
March 2nd 09, 07:35 PM
On 2 Mar,
"pk" > wrote:

> "terryj" > wrote in message
> >

> > have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser?
> > Now that it has been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly
> > safe.
>

> My best buddy is an optician - he strongly advises against. the key risk is
> light scattering from scar tissue destroying vision at nigh

That happened to a friend. Fortunately he managed to get it re-done elswhere,
but at great expense.

--
BD

Andrew Price
March 2nd 09, 07:48 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:11:13 -0000, "pk" > wrote:

>> have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser?
>> Now that it has been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly
>> safe.
>
>My best buddy is an optician - he strongly advises against. the key risk is
>light scattering from scar tissue destroying vision at nigh

I've heard that, too.

Tom Anderson
March 2nd 09, 08:02 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Roger Thorpe wrote:

> Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when
> I drop my head I'm looking over the lenses. I've looked at the "sport"
> glasses that are available (at shocking prices). Does anyone have a
> recommendation for something that will hold prescription lenses for
> middle aged bloke who wants to get down on the drops safely and
> comfortably? I'm hoping to avoid the snooker player solution.

Bit of string tied round the back, holding the specs tight (but not too
tight) onto your face. Old mariner's trick, used to stop the sea stealing
your specs!

You can get fancy versions which are fabric tubes with elastic inserts at
the end (or of various other designs), which are easier to apply and
remove, and less dorky looking. See:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=glasses+retainer

Although i don't know that all of those are capable of exerting enough
force to keep your glasses where you want them, as opposed to to just
stopping them leaving the building.

tom

--
What's the secret to our success? Shouting Robots! People love it when
robots yell at them!

Tom Anderson
March 2nd 09, 08:05 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Nobby Anderson wrote:

> Roger Thorpe > wrote:
>> Thanks for the recommendations.
>> I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.
>
> Um check with you Optician if you want to consider contacts, they are
> available for astigmatism unless it's very bad, and even then they can
> supply them to correct some or most of the astigmatism and any near/far
> problems.

Yup, i'm astigmatic, and i have contacts. They're called 'toric' lenses.

> I was surprised, I'd never considered contacts for just that reason but
> asked on the offchance last time I was in and was told that they are
> available (they're weighted to hold them at the right angle so presumably
> only work if your head is not on its side).

True!

tom

--
What's the secret to our success? Shouting Robots! People love it when
robots yell at them!

Tom Anderson
March 2nd 09, 08:11 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, terryj wrote:

>> but I've just tried bending over and looking over the top of my Scorch
>> glasses and I *wouldn't* recommend them as a solution to your problem.
>
> I only use reading glasses , so this is not an option for me, but why
> have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser? Now that it has been
> done for quite a long time it is probably fairly safe.

As reassurances go, "a man on usenet said it was probably fairly safe" is
not really up there with the best!

tom

--
What's the secret to our success? Shouting Robots! People love it when
robots yell at them!

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 2nd 09, 09:20 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:11:13 -0000, "pk" > said in
>:

>My best buddy is an optician - he strongly advises against. the key risk is
>light scattering from scar tissue destroying vision at nigh

That and the chance of losing your sight during the op.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Peter Clinch
March 3rd 09, 08:15 AM
Roger Thorpe wrote:

> I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.
> The Rudy Project glasses sound good, but I can't help feeling that I'm
> spending money for "designer" qualities rather than functional ones.

A sad fact of life, I'm afraid. A bit like if I just want sunglasses I
get a pair of Bolle safeties from RS for £6 and if I want prescription
inserts I need glasses of similar overall construction and tecnology but
costing an order of magnitude more.

> Do any of the high street opticians sell these sports glasses? I have
> found a website that does it, but I think that I need to try them on.
> Roger Thorpe

Depending on your particular high street, and the opticians that sit on
it, quite possibly. I doubt the big chains like Specsavers can help you
but IME the small independents may stock this sort of thing (Eric Govan
of Dundee, for example, if you happen to be in Dundee...)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Nigel Cliffe[_3_]
March 3rd 09, 09:30 AM
Roger Thorpe wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendations.
> I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some
> astigmatism. The Rudy Project glasses sound good, but I can't help
> feeling that I'm spending money for "designer" qualities rather than
> functional ones.

One of my skiing friends recommended some Adidas branded specs; wrap around
arrangement which takes prescription lenses. They came in at a sane prices
unlike some other sports brands.

I use the same specs for skiing and cycling.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

bod43
March 3rd 09, 09:36 AM
On 2 Mar, 20:02, Tom Anderson > wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Roger Thorpe wrote:
> > Here's the problem though, modern glasses being the shape they are, when

You don't mention how much astigmatism you have
but it may well be possible to get away with not correcting it
for the purposes of cycling. One day disposable
contacts are cheap enough to try anyway.

If you can do with rimless glasses you can perhaps
persuade you optician to make a set that have lenses that
go up a bit higher than normal. I happen to know of an optitian
in Hampshire that will have a go at 'challanging' requests. As
mentioned getting them held securely in place might be
enough. My day glasses fall down my nose if I tilt my
head down but my skiing/cycling (not droops tho) Oaklies do
not since they attach differently. They are retained by
clamping across the head and have no ear loops. The
sides are straight. They did cost an arm and a leg
even with pirate lenses.

They are Oakley Jackel I think which do not seem to
be available now but I did find half-jackels on the net.
http://www.skisharp.com/SS_OakleyEyewear.htm
They are similar but with an open lower half to the frame.
I guess mine are like the Oakley Splice but without
the even stupider knobbly bits.
http://rubensmenswear.com/pages/photographs/oakley/eol/oakley_splice_rootbeer_gold.htm

They fit very closley round the eye socket and perhaps with
a retaining strap might do quite nicely. I would guess
that road-vibrations would quickly move then down
the nose without a strap.

If you choose "sun-glasses" make sure you consider night
use. Since you are getting prescription lenses you
will be likely be able to specify clear lenses. Even quite
a light tint is terrible at night for me. I know 'cos I have tried:)

No idea if this is any use to you but I just hope it might assist.

Jim
March 3rd 09, 09:39 AM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
> pk wrote:
>> Do you NEED your specs to cycle?
>>
>> pk
> regrettably, yes to go fast on country roads. I can get away without them
> to commute, if it's raining hard, but then I have to be careful of bad
> road surfaces.
> Roger Thorpe

My solution was to pick up a cheapo pair of specs from the local chemist's,
with the biggest lenses I could find and a lens power which was suitable for
mid-distance vision. At £4.99 they're less than half the price of the
cheapest cycling specs and keep the wind out of my eyes almost as well. I no
longer have to ask people to read cafe prices to me on club runs but I do
get laughed at for looking like Steve Wright.

JIm J

Dave Larrington
March 3rd 09, 10:18 AM
In th.li,
Tom Anderson > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, terryj wrote:
>
>>> but I've just tried bending over and looking over the top of my
>>> Scorch glasses and I *wouldn't* recommend them as a solution to
>>> your problem.
>>
>> I only use reading glasses , so this is not an option for me, but why
>> have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser? Now that it has
>> been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly safe.
>
> As reassurances go, "a man on usenet said it was probably fairly
> safe" is not really up there with the best!

Speaking as a man on usenet who had his eyes zapped about four years ago,
I'd happily recommend it. The only off-putting thing is the burning smell.

--
Dave Larrington
Electricity comes from other planets.

Roos Eisma
March 3rd 09, 10:32 AM
Roger Thorpe > writes:

>Thanks for the recommendations.
>I'm afraid the contact lens option is out since I have some astigmatism.

Not necessarily. I have contact lenses that correct astigmatism. Mine are
soft, don't know about other options, the field changes really fast.
The lens is weighted so it positions itself the right way up.

Roos

TerryJ
March 3rd 09, 01:54 PM
>> As reassurances go, "a man on usenet said it was probably fairly
>> safe" is not really up there with the best!
>
> Speaking as a man on usenet who had his eyes zapped about four years ago,
> I'd happily recommend it. The only off-putting thing is the burning smell.

I cannot recommend it or give any assurances, I just wondered.

I am always reticent about unnecessary surgery. Even when the dentist
has wanted to put caps on my teeth I have managed so far to persuade him
to the minimum damage and small repair.

A few years ago I met a man who had both knees replaced with metal. Both
ops failed and he had the metal removed. When I saw him he had upper
legs and lower legs but no knee bones.
Still, he did sell me his bike, and at a very reasonable cost. So every
cloud has a silver lining .

I tell this (true)story to people who are trying to get a hip or knee
done because it aches a bit after an hour walking in the peaks.

TerryJ

Phil Cook
March 3rd 09, 05:58 PM
Phil W Lee <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:

>"pk" > considered Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:11:13 -0000
>the perfect time to write:
>
>>"terryj" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> have none of you had your eyes fried with a laser?
>>> Now that it has been done for quite a long time it is probably fairly
>>> safe.
>>

>>My best buddy is an optician - he strongly advises against. the key risk is
>>light scattering from scar tissue destroying vision at nigh
>>
>Without casting any aspersions at your buddy, how much income have
>opticians lost as a result of all the people who no longer neeed
>glasses after having laser surgery?
>
>I'd be more interested in a recommendation from someone with the
>relevant expertise, but who doesn't stand to lose or gain either way,
>although I'm not sure who that would be.

Since you only ever get one pair of eyes you've got to ask yourself,
do you feel lucky? Yes it's a pain wearing glasses and having to get
new ones as your eyes change but what happens if the surgery goes
wrong or you need to repeat the procedure? Get your glasses wrong and
you can take them back and have another eyetest elsewhere. If your
eyes don't respond how you want to laser surgery you are stuffed.

Andrew Price
March 3rd 09, 08:22 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:58:56 +0000, Phil Cook
> wrote:

[---]

>Since you only ever get one pair of eyes you've got to ask yourself,
>do you feel lucky? Yes it's a pain wearing glasses and having to get
>new ones as your eyes change but what happens if the surgery goes
>wrong or you need to repeat the procedure? Get your glasses wrong and
>you can take them back and have another eyetest elsewhere. If your
>eyes don't respond how you want to laser surgery you are stuffed.

How often has this actually happened? I'd heard about the night
vision problems, but nothing more than that.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 3rd 09, 10:41 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:58:56 +0000, Phil Cook
> said in
>:

>Since you only ever get one pair of eyes you've got to ask yourself,
>do you feel lucky? Yes it's a pain wearing glasses and having to get
>new ones as your eyes change but what happens if the surgery goes
>wrong or you need to repeat the procedure?

There is at least one occasion in the past when I was profoundly
glad I was wearing glasses. And as the nurses in A&E flushed the
fragments of polycarbonate out of my eye they told me I was lucky
they were not just plain old optical plastic, too.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
March 4th 09, 10:19 AM
Well that was interesting (for me at least). Plenty of advice there and
a lot of stuff that I didn't know.
When I get a spare weekend I'll go to my optician and get the
prescription at least, maybe check out what they have there in the way
of unfashionably large frames. In another place there's some discussion
(a few months old) about bargain prescription sports glasses at the
bigger Tescos. I might try that as a next stop.
I'm still reluctant to get them mail order though without checking that
they fit and stay in position on my (big) head.
Thanks again for all your advice.
Roger Thorpe

Dave
March 4th 09, 10:43 AM
"Roger Thorpe" > wrote in message
> Well that was interesting (for me at least). Plenty of advice there and a
> lot of stuff that I didn't know.
> When I get a spare weekend I'll go to my optician and get the prescription
> at least, maybe check out what they have there in the way of unfashionably
> large frames. In another place there's some discussion (a few months old)
> about bargain prescription sports glasses at the bigger Tescos. I might
> try that as a next stop.
> I'm still reluctant to get them mail order though without checking that
> they fit and stay in position on my (big) head.
> Thanks again for all your advice.
> Roger Thorpe

I can't see all of this thread so my suggestion may have been made already.

However, if your wear cycling glasses for the crap you can get them with
inserts for some brands that clip to the inside of the nose bridge piece.

You can get them online and possibly in some bike shops.

Take the insert to your optician and have them put your prescription lens in
it.

Dave

Tom Anderson
March 4th 09, 09:03 PM
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Roger Thorpe wrote:

> Well that was interesting (for me at least). Plenty of advice there and a lot
> of stuff that I didn't know.
> When I get a spare weekend I'll go to my optician and get the prescription at
> least, maybe check out what they have there in the way of unfashionably large
> frames. In another place there's some discussion (a few months old) about
> bargain prescription sports glasses at the bigger Tescos. I might try that as
> a next stop.
> I'm still reluctant to get them mail order though without checking that they
> fit and stay in position on my (big) head.

The string, man! Try the string!

tom

--
I really don't know what any of this **** means, but it looks
impressive. -- zerolives, on YVFC

Roger Thorpe[_6_]
March 5th 09, 10:53 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:

> The string, man! Try the string!
>
> tom

Ok, I will. I promise. I don't want to cause any trouble.....

Roger

TerryJ
March 5th 09, 01:15 PM
Roger Thorpe wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> The string, man! Try the string!
>>
>> tom
>>
> Ok, I will. I promise. I don't want to cause any trouble.....
>
> Roger

I find elastic works better, or a rubber band of the right length and
strength.

Tom Anderson
March 5th 09, 03:33 PM
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, terryj wrote:

> Roger Thorpe wrote:
>> Tom Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> The string, man! Try the string!
>>
>> Ok, I will. I promise. I don't want to cause any trouble.....
>
> I find elastic works better, or a rubber band of the right length and
> strength.

Good point. How do you fix it to the glasses?

tom

--
20 Minutes into the Future

Rob Morley
March 5th 09, 05:03 PM
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:44:01 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

> On 2 Mar, 15:35, Rob Morley > wrote:
> > If I press down on the back end of the arms on my reading glasses
> > the lenses flip up into just the right position for head-down
> > riding. Obviously pointless, as they're reading glasses so I don't
> > wear them for cycling, but if I did I imagine a solution involving
> > string and rubber bands might do the job. Â*:-)
>
> They'd need to flip down again when you sit up straight, so maybe the
> string needs to connect to your chest so as to pull the back ends of
> the arms down when you bend your head backwards. Or maybe a pendulum
> counterweight affair that causes the glasses arms to pivot about the
> ears and remain horizontal no matter what angle the head is at.

I was thinking more of running the string down your back, with the
rubber band attached to your waistband, so when you lean forward the
band tensions the string and when you sit upright it relaxes, but
you'd have to find by experiment whether leaning forward produces more
movement than lifting your head back and thus produces the required
increase in tension and in the right direction to tip the glasses.
Better to use nylon monofilament rather than string, so it slides
better, and choosing the right weight would give the required
elasticity too.

TerryJ
March 6th 09, 02:13 PM
Tom Anderson wrote:

> Good point. How do you fix it to the glasses?

Tie a knot or insulating tape.
A bit of elastoplast wrapped round somewhere completes the look.

TerryJ
March 6th 09, 02:34 PM
Rob Morley wrote:> band tensions the string and when you sit upright it
relaxes, but
> you'd have to find by experiment whether leaning forward produces more
> movement than lifting your head back and thus produces the required
> increase in tension and in the right direction to tip the glasses.
> Better to use nylon monofilament rather than string, so it slides
> better, and choosing the right weight would give the required
> elasticity too.

There is no need for such a complex system if you simply attach with
elastoplast a string to your chin and to the handlebars.Your head is now
in the correct position permanently: the glasses can now be fixed into
the correct position, KISS. To facilitate easy dismounting the string
could be attached by a safety pin to a nose-ring.

Rob Morley
March 6th 09, 02:42 PM
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:33:09 +0000
Tom Anderson > wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, terryj wrote:
>
> > Roger Thorpe wrote:

> >> Ok, I will. I promise. I don't want to cause any trouble.....
> >
> > I find elastic works better, or a rubber band of the right length
> > and strength.
>
> Good point. How do you fix it to the glasses?

A small rubber band wound around many times provides a pretty solid
fixing (although the bands tend to have a limited life, so carry
spares). Those snagless ponytail bands might work, although they're
not as elastic.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home