PDA

View Full Version : Slooooooooow

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 3rd 09, 05:56 PM
A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
a folding recumbent.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

TerryJ
March 3rd 09, 06:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
> being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
> Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
> a folding recumbent.
>
> Guy

An inflatable full fairing for the brom I think you mean.

Jolly Polly
March 3rd 09, 06:33 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
> being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
> Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
> a folding recumbent.
>
> Guy
I bet it was a breeze in the other direction though ;)
I too battled a headwind this morning, I was actually enjoying it. Until
the rain came that is.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 3rd 09, 06:36 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 18:33:22 +0000, Jolly Polly >
said in >:

>I bet it was a breeze in the other direction though ;)
>I too battled a headwind this morning, I was actually enjoying it. Until
>the rain came that is.

What I don't understand is why the wind pushing you to work is
always much gentler than the wind stopping you from getting home.
And drier. I am a wimp, I will drive to choir practice tonight.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Tim Hall
March 3rd 09, 11:04 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:56:24 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
>being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
>Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
>a folding recumbent.

I have seen a recumbent attachment for a Brompton. It was a few yaers
ago mind, at the house of the A-B Magazine editor.

--
Tim

Danny Colyer
March 3rd 09, 11:31 PM
On 03/03/2009 23:04, Tim Hall wrote:
> I have seen a recumbent attachment for a Brompton. It was a few yaers
> ago mind, at the house of the A-B Magazine editor.

Since then the design of the Brompton has changed, so that those
attachments no longer fit.

What Guy needs is a Bike Friday Sat-R-Day. Don't think they fold quite
so impressively as the Brom, though.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 4th 09, 12:01 AM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:31:08 +0000, Danny Colyer
> said in
>:

>What Guy needs is a Bike Friday Sat-R-Day. Don't think they fold quite
>so impressively as the Brom, though.

Hmmm. Would it get sibling rivalry with my Bike Friday Family
Tandem?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Roos Eisma
March 4th 09, 08:48 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > writes:

>>What Guy needs is a Bike Friday Sat-R-Day. Don't think they fold quite
>>so impressively as the Brom, though.

>Hmmm. Would it get sibling rivalry with my Bike Friday Family
>Tandem?

Probably. The best thing in that case is to send the Tandem to Scotland
for some healthy fresh air recovery time. For a small fee we can be
convinced to provide B&B to it.

Roos

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 4th 09, 08:54 AM
On 04 Mar 2009 08:48:01 GMT, Roos Eisma > said in
>:

>>Hmmm. Would it get sibling rivalry with my Bike Friday Family
>>Tandem?

>Probably. The best thing in that case is to send the Tandem to Scotland
>for some healthy fresh air recovery time. For a small fee we can be
>convinced to provide B&B to it.

But then it would fight with the Me'n'U2 which now lives in
Scottishland.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

bugbear
March 4th 09, 09:57 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
> being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
> Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
> a folding recumbent.

That's easy.

It's the type that unfold afterwards that cost more :-)

BugBear

Peter Clinch
March 4th 09, 12:53 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On 04 Mar 2009 08:48:01 GMT, Roos Eisma > said in
> >:
>
>>> Hmmm. Would it get sibling rivalry with my Bike Friday Family
>>> Tandem?
>
>> Probably. The best thing in that case is to send the Tandem to Scotland
>> for some healthy fresh air recovery time. For a small fee we can be
>> convinced to provide B&B to it.
>
> But then it would fight with the Me'n'U2 which now lives in
> Scottishland.

We took delivery of a Very Big Box Indeed from the BoB yesterday (who
get Points for very good pre-sales information and generally good
service, btw), a splendid second hand example in a colour scheme Simon
will approve of (i.e., it's black). We're still awaiting final delivery
details of the stokers, but we've got the bike! I'm not sure it will
fit in the kitchen easily, but we'll see what we can do...

On this subject, it's currently missing any stokers' pedals: does the
panel have suggestions as to what to get for a 5 (going on 6) and 7 year
old. We're thinking a strapless front cage might make life easier but
having not had experience of that order of foot size for a while we've
no idea about platform size issues or anything practical like that.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
March 4th 09, 01:25 PM
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:53:26 +0000, Peter Clinch
> said in
>:

>On this subject, it's currently missing any stokers' pedals: does the
>panel have suggestions as to what to get for a 5 (going on 6) and 7 year
>old. We're thinking a strapless front cage might make life easier but
>having not had experience of that order of foot size for a while we've
>no idea about platform size issues or anything practical like that.

Are their feet very tiny? Ours have biggish feet so standard
plastic cages with Zefal Kid toecups did the job nicely. And don't
forget the thin bungee cord between the pedals to keep them level,
makes getting a foot back in on the move a great deal easier.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt>

Roos Eisma
March 4th 09, 01:33 PM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > writes:

>>On this subject, it's currently missing any stokers' pedals: does the
>>panel have suggestions as to what to get for a 5 (going on 6) and 7 year
>>old. We're thinking a strapless front cage might make life easier but
>>having not had experience of that order of foot size for a while we've
>>no idea about platform size issues or anything practical like that.

>Are their feet very tiny? Ours have biggish feet so standard
>plastic cages with Zefal Kid toecups did the job nicely. And don't
>forget the thin bungee cord between the pedals to keep them level,
>makes getting a foot back in on the move a great deal easier.

Our information has been quite detailed on their mental health but quite
sparse on practical facts like shoesize and favorite colours...
The only info we have on heigth is that the elder is an average sized 7 yo
boy, and that the girl is tall for her age and almost the same height.

That's why we think we may not get very long use out of the bike, and why
your Bike friday would be useful to have in reserve :)

Roos

PoB
March 4th 09, 04:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
> being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
> Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
> a folding recumbent.

HPVelotechnik do the Scorpion, but it's not quite a brompton when it comes
to folding

pOB

Peter Clinch
March 5th 09, 08:32 AM
PoB wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> > A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
> > being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
> > Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
> > a folding recumbent.
>
> HPVelotechnik do the Scorpion, but it's not quite a brompton when it comes
> to folding

HPVel also make a folding Grasshopper (the FX), which only being a bike
will have an advantage for portability.
M5 do the CMPCT and Bike Firday make the SatRDay but again neither are
anywhere close to the Brom on practicality of fold.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Roos Eisma
March 5th 09, 10:44 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > writes:

>On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:53:26 +0000, Peter Clinch

>>On this subject, it's currently missing any stokers' pedals: does the
>>panel have suggestions as to what to get for a 5 (going on 6) and 7 year
>>old. We're thinking a strapless front cage might make life easier but
>>having not had experience of that order of foot size for a while we've
>>no idea about platform size issues or anything practical like that.

>Are their feet very tiny? Ours have biggish feet so standard
>plastic cages with Zefal Kid toecups did the job nicely. And don't
>forget the thin bungee cord between the pedals to keep them level,
>makes getting a foot back in on the move a great deal easier.

They have both kids' shoe size 13, no idea what that means in terms
of tiny or not!

Roos

Peter Clinch
March 5th 09, 11:23 AM
Roos Eisma wrote:

> They have both kids' shoe size 13, no idea what that means in terms
> of tiny or not!

Some googling just suggested that's Euro 32, last thing before adult sizes.

<learn class="something new every day"> I also just found out that UK
sizes work according to measures in Barleycorns, or thirds of an inch!
</learn>

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

PoB
March 5th 09, 12:29 PM
"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
| PoB wrote:
| > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
| > > A combination of fierce headwinds and every single traffic light
| > > being red meant that it took me over 50 minutes from the wharf to
| > > Paddingtown today instead of a best time of around 30. Bah! I want
| > > a folding recumbent.
| >
| > HPVelotechnik do the Scorpion, but it's not quite a brompton when it
comes
| > to folding
|
| HPVel also make a folding Grasshopper (the FX), which only being a bike
| will have an advantage for portability.
| M5 do the CMPCT and Bike Firday make the SatRDay but again neither are
| anywhere close to the Brom on practicality of fold.

Oooh - didn't know about the Grasshopper FX, tasty...

I wonder if we can persuade them to make a GTE FX?

All the best,

pOB

Peter Clinch
March 5th 09, 02:28 PM
Phil W Lee wrote:

> If shoes are indeed sized by the outside measurement, it would explain
> why there is so much variation in fit.

The measurement is of the last rather than the shoe, AI(vaguely)UI.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Tim Hall
March 5th 09, 05:36 PM
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:23:34 +0000, Peter Clinch
> wrote:

><learn class="something new every day"> I also just found out that UK
>sizes work according to measures in Barleycorns, or thirds of an inch!
></learn>

<smug>
I knew that already.

(It was on The Home Service the other day)

</smug>

--
Tim

Rob Morley
March 5th 09, 05:53 PM
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:23:09 +0000
Phil W Lee <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:

> Peter Clinch > considered Thu, 05 Mar 2009
> 14:28:31 +0000 the perfect time to write:
>
> >Phil W Lee wrote:
> >
> >> If shoes are indeed sized by the outside measurement, it would
> >> explain why there is so much variation in fit.
> >
> >The measurement is of the last rather than the shoe, AI(vaguely)UI.
> >
> Then something has become broken in the relationship between the
> original measurement and modern sizes.
>
> As I mentioned, my size 7s are exactly the right _external_ size for a
> 7, (10.6667") based on the barleycorn system.
> My feet (and presumably the lasts that make shoes that fit them) are
> almost exactly 1" (or 3 sizes/barleycorns) smaller.

The insoles in my size 12 boots are about 12 5/16" which is near enough
12 1/3" so presumably the MOD thinks the formula is about right, at
least near the top end of the size range. I think a lot of shoes are
made with continental-sized lasts and the conversion to UK sizes often
seems inaccurate to me.

Nuxx Bar
March 6th 09, 12:00 AM
On Mar 3, 5:56*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?" >
wrote:
> every single traffic light being red

So will this be enough for you to start supporting Boris' intention to
undo the years of malicious anti-motorist meddling with traffic lights
under Livingstone? Thought not. Once again it's a case of "I support
completely unnecessary anti-motorist measures even if they
inconvenience me as a cyclist". You are spite personified.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home