PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Real Wheel - Am I Missing Something?

Great Eastern
March 12th 09, 02:49 PM
I have a bike with disc brakes and quick releases on both wheels.

I've not had any problems with the front wheel - the wheel sits in the
correct place and spins perfectly.

However the back is a different story, I can line up the disc so that it
spins ok and the wheel is sufficiently tight, however after a few mins
of riding you can feel the back brake pulling - the disc is then rubbing
on the block on the inside (i.e the one that doesn't move) Plus once
this has happened the gears at the rear don't change efficiently either.

I've tried tightening the quick release spindle from the cassette side,
but that results in the frame pulling in on the disc and the wheel.

Is there a trick I'm missing to get this thing working, or should i cut
my losses and have the spindle etc replaced with a non-quick release one?

Rob Morley
March 12th 09, 03:48 PM
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:49:14 +0000
Great Eastern > wrote:

> I have a bike with disc brakes and quick releases on both wheels.
>
> I've not had any problems with the front wheel - the wheel sits in
> the correct place and spins perfectly.
>
> However the back is a different story, I can line up the disc so that
> it spins ok and the wheel is sufficiently tight, however after a few
> mins of riding you can feel the back brake pulling - the disc is then
> rubbing on the block on the inside (i.e the one that doesn't move)
> Plus once this has happened the gears at the rear don't change
> efficiently either.
>
> I've tried tightening the quick release spindle from the cassette
> side, but that results in the frame pulling in on the disc and the
> wheel.

Eh?

> Is there a trick I'm missing to get this thing working, or should i
> cut my losses and have the spindle etc replaced with a non-quick
> release one?

The problem won't be caused by it being QR[1], because plenty of people
use QR with discs without a problem, but I can't diagnose anything from
your description - more details and some photos may help.

[1] That's not to say the problem isn't with the axle or skewer.

_[_2_]
March 12th 09, 04:26 PM
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:49:14 +0000, Great Eastern wrote:

> I have a bike with disc brakes and quick releases on both wheels.
>
> I've not had any problems with the front wheel - the wheel sits in the
> correct place and spins perfectly.
>
> However the back is a different story, I can line up the disc so that it
> spins ok and the wheel is sufficiently tight, however after a few mins
> of riding you can feel the back brake pulling - the disc is then rubbing
> on the block on the inside (i.e the one that doesn't move) Plus once
> this has happened the gears at the rear don't change efficiently either.
>
> I've tried tightening the quick release spindle from the cassette side,
> but that results in the frame pulling in on the disc and the wheel.
>
> Is there a trick I'm missing to get this thing working, or should i cut
> my losses and have the spindle etc replaced with a non-quick release one?

First off, a quick release skewer is *supposed* to be floating axially, so
if you believe that by tightening the skewer on one side it changes by how
much one side gets tight

a) you are in error; or
b) the skewer is not working correctly.

Secondly, real hub movement in the dropouts is a common problem. For
horizontal (or near-horizontal) dropouts it is a matter of innsuficient
clamping, which typically results from one of three things:

a) the skewer is not tight enough. When you tighten it it should be almost
too hard to get "over the cam" - and the lever ought to leave a mark on
your palm

b) the axle is too long, and it projects far enough through the dropout
that it interferes with the correct clamping on that side. This can be
easily be fixed with a file.

c) the washer which faces the inside faces of the dropout has litle or no
clamping ridges; commonly either a raised circle on the periphery or radila
groves. If your axle does not have one of these they are avaiable from a
good bicycle shop.

a) above may be a result of poor quality skewers, or so it is reported;
more frequently for those with aluminium levers and cams.

Nuts which fit on hollow axles are available, as are solid axles and their
nust/cones/washers.

Martin[_2_]
March 12th 09, 11:11 PM
_ wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:49:14 +0000, Great Eastern wrote:
>
>> I have a bike with disc brakes and quick releases on both wheels.
>>
>> I've not had any problems with the front wheel - the wheel sits in the
>> correct place and spins perfectly.
>>
>> However the back is a different story, I can line up the disc so that it
>> spins ok and the wheel is sufficiently tight, however after a few mins
>> of riding you can feel the back brake pulling - the disc is then rubbing
>> on the block on the inside (i.e the one that doesn't move) Plus once
>> this has happened the gears at the rear don't change efficiently either.
>>
>> I've tried tightening the quick release spindle from the cassette side,
>> but that results in the frame pulling in on the disc and the wheel.
>>
>> Is there a trick I'm missing to get this thing working, or should i cut
>> my losses and have the spindle etc replaced with a non-quick release one?
>
> First off, a quick release skewer is *supposed* to be floating axially, so
> if you believe that by tightening the skewer on one side it changes by how
> much one side gets tight
>
> a) you are in error; or
> b) the skewer is not working correctly.
>
> Secondly, real hub movement in the dropouts is a common problem. For
> horizontal (or near-horizontal) dropouts it is a matter of innsuficient
> clamping, which typically results from one of three things:
>
> a) the skewer is not tight enough. When you tighten it it should be almost
> too hard to get "over the cam" - and the lever ought to leave a mark on
> your palm
>
> b) the axle is too long, and it projects far enough through the dropout
> that it interferes with the correct clamping on that side. This can be
> easily be fixed with a file.
>
> c) the washer which faces the inside faces of the dropout has litle or no
> clamping ridges; commonly either a raised circle on the periphery or radila
> groves. If your axle does not have one of these they are avaiable from a
> good bicycle shop.
>
> a) above may be a result of poor quality skewers, or so it is reported;
> more frequently for those with aluminium levers and cams.
>
> Nuts which fit on hollow axles are available, as are solid axles and their
> nust/cones/washers.

From the OPs description, the OLD may be to small for the frame, or the
brake and gears have been set when the skewer was not done up properly.

I would suggest trying a couple of extra washers between the outer lock
nuts and the dropouts. If this solves the problem then the extra washers
would have to be put inside the outer lock nuts, or the brake and gears
adjusted.

Martin.

POHB
March 13th 09, 08:05 AM
"Martin" wrote
> > brake and gears have been set when the skewer was not done up properly.

That sounds like the cause to me. Take the brake off and get the wheel
seated properly. Then re-fit the brake and adjust it and the gears around
where the wheel wants to be. Unless it is obviously wonky with repect to
the frame.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home