PDA

View Full Version : New tire with hole

GABIKE
July 24th 03, 01:18 AM
I just installed new Hutchison carbon comps on my bike. They only had 200 miles
on them when yesterday a small rock penetrated one of them and i flatted. I now
have a brand new $45 tire with a small hole right in the middle.
What could have caused this besides bad luck and is there anything that can be
done to it to make is safely servicable?
BTW, the tube had 1200 miles on it.

Ken
July 24th 03, 01:22 AM
(GABIKE) wrote in
:
> I just installed new Hutchison carbon comps on my bike. They only had
> 200 miles on them when yesterday a small rock penetrated one of them and
> i flatted. I now have a brand new $45 tire with a small hole right in
> the middle. What could have caused this besides bad luck and is there
> anything that can be done to it to make is safely servicable?

You know what happened, a rock poked a hole in your tire. Nothing you can do
about that, other than watch out for rocks.

How big is the hole? Are the cords of the tire damaged, or only the rubber?
If there is only a small slice in the rubber and the cords are intact, the
tire is still OK to use. You might put a small bit of glue on the cut to
seal it.

If the cords are cut, however, using the tire is risky. Some people will try
patching the inside of the tire. Others will not want to risk the cords
failing.

Pat
July 24th 03, 02:11 AM
x-no-archive:yes

"GABIKE" <> I just installed new Hutchison carbon comps on my bike. They
only had 200 miles
> on them when yesterday a small rock penetrated one of them and i flatted.
I now
> have a brand new $45 tire with a small hole right in the middle.
> What could have caused this besides bad luck and is there anything that
can be
> done to it to make is safely servicable?
> BTW, the tube had 1200 miles on it.

Maybe "shoe goo" would patch it. I use it for anything that I don't use JB
Weld for...and with duct tape and WD-40, your toolbox is almost complete!

Pat in TX

Jkpoulos7
July 24th 03, 11:46 PM
>I now
>> have a brand new $45 tire with a small hole right in the middle.
>> What could have caused this besides bad luck and is there

Should've bought $10 tires and youre less likely to have this problem. IMO $45
tires are fore racing not for training, sport type riding. You want lightness
and suppleness you lose durability.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home