PDA

View Full Version : Are there any high volume bike wheel builders left in the USA?

Jim Marriott
April 13th 04, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Thanks,

Jim Marriott

Calvin Jones
April 13th 04, 12:58 PM
Jim Marriott > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Marriott

It is my understanding that J&B Imports handbuilds almost of all their wheels.

daveornee
April 13th 04, 02:23 PM
Jim Marriott wrote:
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
> Thanks,
> Jim Marriott

MTN & Road = Wheelsmith. Don't know any USA builder of kids an
wheelchair? What do you want

-

mark
April 13th 04, 03:51 PM
"Jim Marriott" wrote
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Marriott

Colorado Cyclist (www.coloradocyclist.com) builds wheels- buy the complete
wheel or send in your hub and they will send back a complete wheel built
around your hub, after relubing the hub. I've never bought a complete wheel
from them, but when I've ordered components to build wheels they've seemed
knowledgable enough. They sponsor a road team and a MTB team, which should
give them plenty of practice building wheels...
--
mark

Jeff Wills
April 13th 04, 03:55 PM
Jim Marriott > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

I'm not sure what you're asking- almost every bike parts wholesaler
sells built wheels on some scale. Quality Bike Parts sells wheels
under the their "Wheel House" brand:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=846 . J&B
Importers has several hundred lines of built wheels in their catalog:
http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer/view-category.phtml?cat=Wheel&start_at=25

Jeff

bfd
April 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Jim Marriott > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
cheaper?

Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.

If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
known for building excellent wheels.

Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
build wheels yourself.

SMMB
April 13th 04, 07:20 PM
Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)

Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
things as simple questions.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

"bfd" > a écrit dans le message de :
om...
> Jim Marriott > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> > mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
> >

> Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
> these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
> cheaper?
>
> Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
> shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.
>
> If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
> wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
> Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
> known for building excellent wheels.
>
> Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
> Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
> build wheels yourself.

Tim McNamara
April 13th 04, 09:26 PM
Jim Marriott > writes:

> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA?
> Road, mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair
> wheels?

Define "high volume." There are custom builders in the US who build
hundreds if not thousands of wheels a year, but these are usually high
end wheels and you don't seem to be asking about that.

Do you want to be able to order 10,000 wheels a month? You'll
probably have to look to Asia for a supplier.

bfd
April 13th 04, 10:23 PM
"SMMB" > wrote in message >...
> Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)
>
> Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
> things as simple questions.
> --
> Bonne route,
>
> Sandy
> Paris FR
>
> "bfd" > a écrit dans le message de :
> om...
> > Jim Marriott > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> > > mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
> > >

> > Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
> > these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
> > cheaper?
> >
> > Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
> > shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.
> >
> > If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
> > wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
> > Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
> > known for building excellent wheels.
> >
> > Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
> > Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
> > build wheels yourself.

This is interesting. Sandy, a top poster, accuses me of making a
"rant" and not answering the question. Au contraire, but I believed I
*answered* the question.

First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.

Second, I then provided names of several builders who arguably could
be consider *high volume*, which is undefined; yet had reputations for
building excellent wheels (which I presume is what the OP wants).

Finally, I stated that if the OP was mechanically-inclined, there was
an excellent book available that could be purchased. Where's the rant?

Cipher
April 13th 04, 11:43 PM
Jim Marriott wrote:
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels?
> Thanks,
> Jim Marriott

How about Bontrager

http://www.bontrager.com/wheelworks.as

-

BaCardi
April 14th 04, 01:03 AM
Smmb wrote:
> Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)
> Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
> things as simple questions.
> --
> Bonne route,
> Sandy Paris FR
> "bfd" > a écrit dans le message de : news:9411a749.040-
> 404130849.121aafc7@po-
> sting.google.com...
> > Jim Marriott > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA?
> > > Road, mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair
> > > wheels?
> > >

> > Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
> > these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
> > cheaper?
> >
> > Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
> > shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.
> >
> > If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
> > wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
> > Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.htmlhttp://w-
> > ww.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all known for building
> > excellent wheels.
> >
> > Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
> > Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
> > build wheels yourself.

I'm with Sandy on this one. The obvious gushing and pushiness of
steering the original poster to do business with those socially
acceptable (anyone not high-volume) is really not warranted and not
aimed at helping the guy at all.

--

Jeff Wills
April 14th 04, 05:22 AM

> First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
> because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
> thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.

The OP asked about several types of wheels- road, mountain, kids,
wheelchair. He (she) did not specify *why* or *what quality*. Thus,
*I* pointed out that pre-assembled wheels are available from most any
distributor, and, by extension, any shop. I simply answered the
question, without questioning his (her) motives.

Jeff

Chris
April 14th 04, 05:51 AM
"Jim Marriott" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Marriott

What about Cane Creek and WTB? Aren't they USA based?

I assume by "high volume" you mean "lots of product," not "hold lots of air"
or "make lots of noise."

Chris

BaCardi
April 14th 04, 07:03 AM
Jeff Wills wrote:
> > First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
> > because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
> > thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.
> >
> The OP asked about several types of wheels- road, mountain, kids,
> wheelchair. He (she) did not specify *why* or *what quality*. Thus, *I*
> pointed out that pre-assembled wheels are available from most any
> distributor, and, by extension, any shop. I simply answered the
> question, without questioning his (her) motives.
> Jeff

Jeff, you answered his questions without questioning his motives o
promoting options other than what he asked for. Bravo! But I don't thin
Sandy or me, for that matter, were talking about you. Its was BFD an
the manner in which he tried to help others, not the OP

-

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 14th 04, 02:00 PM
info-<< It is my understanding that J&B Imports handbuilds almost of all their
wheels. >><BR><BR>

Don think so...The ones I have gotten from them, very low end, were machine
built and not very well..But we redo all these, then they are OK.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

TheYvid
April 14th 04, 09:06 PM
Jim Marriott wrote:
> Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
> mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

If it may help - as far as I am aware, some time ago
(rather long, though) Sunrims (Warsaw, IL) placed an ad
on their website http://www.sun-ringle.com/ about hiring
people to build wheels for wheel chairs. And they are
a "high volume" bike company, for sure.

Greetz

--
TheYvid
I seek You at 49894592

Paul Kopit
April 14th 04, 11:02 PM
On 13 Apr 2004 09:49:34 -0700, (bfd) wrote:

>Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
>these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
>cheaper?

I saw a local bike shop owner that was low bidder on bicycle for
police dept building up the wheels. He got an unskilled worker to
lace the hubs into the rims and turn the nipples down to 1 thread
showing. Then the guy did the truing, tensioning and relieving. I
was impressed at how fast he could build a wheel. BUT, he was not a
machine.

Tom Sherman
April 15th 04, 12:18 AM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> info-<< It is my understanding that J&B Imports handbuilds almost of all their
> wheels. >><BR><BR>
>
> Don think so...The ones I have gotten from them, very low end, were machine
> built and not very well..But we redo all these, then they are OK.

Who is Don?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 15th 04, 01:59 PM
<< Who is Don? >><BR><BR>

Don thin so.....