PDA

View Full Version : How Is Brake Reach Measured?

Question Man
April 14th 04, 04:45 AM
All -

How is brake reach measured?

I have an old steel frame, a Raliegh Olympian, I believe. It takes
27" wheels. I took it to a frambuilder to have the stamped rear
dropouts removed & adjustable ones with an intergrated rear derailleur
hanger installed. Now, however, the rear brakes that used to reach
the rim on the 27" wheel work only with a 700C wheel! If I use a 27"
wheel the brakes are too long.

The brakes I am using here are Mafac Racer centerpulls.

Part of this project was to use some 27" wheels I have on hand. I
really don't want to have to buy new 700C wheels -- in fact, if it
comes to that, I may scrap the whole project.

I see that Tektro (courtesy of biketoolsetc: )

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=648039167700&d=single&c=Components&sc=Brakes&tc=Road-Brakes&item_id=TK-420AR

(be careful, as the URL might wrap)

has some short reach brakes. Will these work with my 27" wheels?

(Keep in mind that I will have to use longer reach barkes on the
front, as those dropouts have not been modified.)

I'm sure I have left some crucial thing out...

Thanks!

Phil

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 14th 04, 01:46 PM
Center of mounting hole to center of the rim.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Jeff Wills
April 14th 04, 09:31 PM
Question Man > wrote in message >...
> All -
>
> How is brake reach measured?

<snip>
> The brakes I am using here are Mafac Racer centerpulls.
>
> Part of this project was to use some 27" wheels I have on hand. I
> really don't want to have to buy new 700C wheels -- in fact, if it
> comes to that, I may scrap the whole project.
<snip>

As Pete said, measure from the center of the brake hole to the center
of the rim's braking surface. In millimeters, that's the brake
caliper's reach.

Be somewhat careful- your old Mafac centerpulls are very long reach
compared to current brakes. Those Tektros may come out too *short*.
You may have to consider "long reach" calipers:
http://tinyurl.com/2md4x

Jeff

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home