PDA

View Full Version : Record headset problems

Jon
April 14th 04, 06:45 AM
Howdy,

My Record headset finally came in (Marinoni is SLOW shipping) and I
replaced the used up POS temporary (a $20 headset only lasts 1000km).
Problem is that the plastic expander wedge is REALLY tight on the
steerer tube of my Lemond Maillot Jaune (Bontrager Race Lite fork) and
won't fit nicely inside the top bearing race. As a result the headset
is either really loose or overly tight and is generally very difficult
to adjust. The bearings are in correctly but I haven't faced the
headtube yet as I leave that as a last resort.

This is the third Record headset I've installed on my bikes and all the
others work beautifully. Can this be anything related to the steerer
being slightly oversized? Must I resort to facing the headtube? Any
other ideas?

I've looked through all the old news postings on Google and haven't
found anything so I'm assuming this is a rare problem.

Thanks again,

Jon

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 14th 04, 01:45 PM
jekkech-<< Problem is that the plastic expander wedge is REALLY tight on the
steerer tube of my Lemond Maillot Jaune >><BR><BR>

Take a bit of sand paaer and smooth out the inside of the plastic thingy. Also
ensure the notched portion is 'up' facing.

I would face the headtube regardless...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Jon
April 15th 04, 10:27 PM
Tried it, no luck. I've never had this kind of problem with a Record
headset before and I'm good and stumped. Bad timing too as I need it
fixed to race on Saturday (not to mention training up to then).

Jon

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jekkech-<< Problem is that the plastic expander wedge is REALLY tight on the
> steerer tube of my Lemond Maillot Jaune >><BR><BR>
>
> Take a bit of sand paaer and smooth out the inside of the plastic thingy. Also
> ensure the notched portion is 'up' facing.
>
> I would face the headtube regardless...
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home