PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Look CX-7 parts and tech info

John Rees
April 16th 04, 06:52 PM
I have a pair of CX-7 pedals that are making some scraping noises.
I took them off, opened them up and cleaned and re-greased the bearings.
I could not figure out how to remove the needle bearings in the end of the
spindle.
Alas, still making the noises, so I'd like to try to replace the bearings.

Where can I get parts for these pedals, and more importantly, where can I
get service information. I have the original paperwork for the pedals, but
they are not detailed enough.

I am looking for the kind of diagrams Shimano makes for their parts.

John

Tom Schmitz
April 16th 04, 08:09 PM
"John Rees" > wrote in message
m...
> I have a pair of CX-7 pedals that are making some scraping noises.
> I took them off, opened them up and cleaned and re-greased the bearings.
> I could not figure out how to remove the needle bearings in the end of the
> spindle.
> Alas, still making the noises, so I'd like to try to replace the bearings.
>
> Where can I get parts for these pedals, and more importantly, where can I
> get service information. I have the original paperwork for the pedals,
but
> they are not detailed enough.
>
> I am looking for the kind of diagrams Shimano makes for their parts.
>
> John

Hi John -

I'm currently "down" on Look pedals. I have three pair of them.

The oldest are the first pair of clipless pedals I ever had and are some 10
or 12 years old; and the newest are A3.1 Looks. I really like riding them,
but servicing them seems an excersize in futility.

First off, how did you get them apart? I cannot find a tool to fit the
retainer that holds the spindle in. I was able to get one A3.1 pedal
disassembled using a PVC connector that fit snugly over the retainer. The
retainer was not in so tight that it would not come out by hand. The other
pedal just wouldn't budge. My complaint was that the pedal was making a
scraping/clicking noise as yours was. Wouldn't you know it? The pedal I
could get apart was not the one making noise.

Once I got the spindle out I found that I could neither get the needle
bearings out, nor could I get the sealed bearing off of the spindle. It is
pressed in place. There is a soft clip that prevents that bearing from
coming off should it work loose, but it does not retain the bearing per se.

This led me to try and dissasemble my other pedals. My oldest pair have a
cap at the opposite end which, when removed, shows a nylock nut on the end
of the spindle. Fine, just remove that and service the pedal. Wrong, it's
heavily staked in place. Something would surely get wrecked trying to remove
it.

On the newer pedals it looked to me like you would need to have a specific
bearing puller to grab the far side of the needle bearing cage and pull it
out. I did not try modestly heating the pedal body and attempting to draw it
out with any of the tools that I have that might have been pressed into such
service. I merely filled the pedal body with grease and put it back
together.

My impression, looking at the three pedal sets that I have, is that Look has
a "not user serviceable" approach to their products. Seems a pity for pedals
that sell for as much as Looks do. Shimano gives you a tool with your pedals
so that you can take them appart and service them. At least they used to -
haven't bought any Shimano pedals in a few years. Next time I'm in need of
road pedals I'll likely be looking at Shimanos....

Regards,

Tom

A Muzi
April 17th 04, 02:44 AM

Tom Schmitz wrote:
> I'm currently "down" on Look pedals. I have three pair of them.
>
> The oldest are the first pair of clipless pedals I ever had and are some 10
> or 12 years old; and the newest are A3.1 Looks. I really like riding them,
> but servicing them seems an excersize in futility.
>
> First off, how did you get them apart? I cannot find a tool to fit the
> retainer that holds the spindle in. I was able to get one A3.1 pedal
> disassembled using a PVC connector that fit snugly over the retainer. The
> retainer was not in so tight that it would not come out by hand. The other
> pedal just wouldn't budge. My complaint was that the pedal was making a
> scraping/clicking noise as yours was. Wouldn't you know it? The pedal I
> could get apart was not the one making noise.
>
> Once I got the spindle out I found that I could neither get the needle
> bearings out, nor could I get the sealed bearing off of the spindle. It is
> pressed in place. There is a soft clip that prevents that bearing from
> coming off should it work loose, but it does not retain the bearing per se.
>
> This led me to try and dissasemble my other pedals. My oldest pair have a
> cap at the opposite end which, when removed, shows a nylock nut on the end
> of the spindle. Fine, just remove that and service the pedal. Wrong, it's
> heavily staked in place. Something would surely get wrecked trying to remove
> it.
>
> On the newer pedals it looked to me like you would need to have a specific
> bearing puller to grab the far side of the needle bearing cage and pull it
> out. I did not try modestly heating the pedal body and attempting to draw it
> out with any of the tools that I have that might have been pressed into such
> service. I merely filled the pedal body with grease and put it back
> together.
>
> My impression, looking at the three pedal sets that I have, is that Look has
> a "not user serviceable" approach to their products. Seems a pity for pedals
> that sell for as much as Looks do. Shimano gives you a tool with your pedals
> so that you can take them appart and service them. At least they used to -
> haven't bought any Shimano pedals in a few years. Next time I'm in need of
> road pedals I'll likely be looking at Shimanos....

Look sells a complete spindle with bearings that's not too
expensive as a drop-in service piece.

On some models there is a bearing assembly with a series of
rollers in a sleeve pressed into the dead end of the pedal
body. It's called a Bremen Cup, bearing houses sell them.
You need to destroy the old one to get a grasp on it.

A thorough cleaning with new lube occasionally, as any
bearing, is good practice if your bearings are picking up
dirt or have a rough feel. Looks are quick in that regard.
Clean often and you won't need parts, as in everything else.

The early model with a staked Nylok nut is reverse threaded
on one side. Note you can't get reverse 6mm Nylok nuts
easily and also note you will likely melt the nylon when you
grind the stake off. The whole spindle assembly is the
preferred replacement there.

Look pedals remain a very good value and used ones are
plentiful (even Shimano, Mavic and Campagnolo badged).

Standard road cleat format (not CX-7) interchanges over
twenty years of minor model changes (except for the single
year 1990 Pro )with fixed or rotating cleats.

Last, the nylon collar which keeps the spindle assembly in
the body wants a dot of locktite or a dab of mastic cement.

Looks are not perfect but they are pretty good for bike parts.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
April 17th 04, 02:44 AM

Tom Schmitz wrote:
> [...]

dirt or have a rough feel. Looks are quick in that regard.
Clean often and you won't need parts, as in everything else.

The early model with a staked Nylok nut is reverse threaded
on one side. Note you can't get reverse 6mm Nylok nuts
easily and also note you will likely melt the nylon when you
grind the stake off. The whole spindle assembly is the
preferred replacement there.

Look pedals remain a very good value and used ones are
plentiful (even Shimano, Mavic and Campagnolo badged).

Standard road cleat format (not CX-7) interchanges over
twenty years of minor model changes (except for the single
year 1990 Pro )with fixed or rotating cleats.

Last, the nylon collar which keeps the spindle assembly in
the body wants a dot of locktite or a dab of mastic cement.

Looks are not perfect but they are pretty good for bike parts.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home