PDA

View Full Version : 22.2 mm quill x threadless stem adapter?

rickn
April 17th 04, 06:33 PM
Greetings:
Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
Any suggestions?

Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
Please educate me . . . .
Thanks,
Rick

Dave Thompson
April 17th 04, 06:40 PM
<rickn> wrote in message
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

The 22.2mm refers to the diameter of the quill, the part that inserts into
the steer tube, not the size of the stem itself.

Profile, Zoom and Nitto all make adapters that will allow you to use a 1"
or 1-1/8" threadless stem on a threaded fork. They're called stem column
adapters.

Dave Thompson
April 17th 04, 06:40 PM
<rickn> wrote in message
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

The 22.2mm refers to the diameter of the quill, the part that inserts into
the steer tube, not the size of the stem itself.

Profile, Zoom and Nitto all make adapters that will allow you to use a 1"
or 1-1/8" threadless stem on a threaded fork. They're called stem column
adapters.

Dave Thompson
April 17th 04, 06:49 PM

Try here: http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1528

Dave Thompson
April 17th 04, 06:49 PM
"Dave Thompson" > wrote in message

> <rickn> wrote in message
> > Greetings:
> > Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> > adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> > 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> > surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> > stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> > 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> > would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> > Please educate me . . . .
> > Thanks,
> > Rick
>
> The 22.2mm refers to the diameter of the quill, the part that inserts into
> the steer tube, not the size of the stem itself.
>
> Profile, Zoom and Nitto all make adapters that will allow you to use a 1"
> or 1-1/8" threadless stem on a threaded fork. They're called stem column
> adapters.

Try here: http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1528

Graham
April 17th 04, 07:19 PM
<rickn> wrote in message
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

Made by 3t, ITM, and Cinelli as far as I know.

Graham

Graham
April 17th 04, 07:19 PM
<rickn> wrote in message
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

Made by 3t, ITM, and Cinelli as far as I know.

Graham

Werehatrack
April 17th 04, 11:58 PM
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:33:04 -0400, rickn <rickn> may have said:

>Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
>stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
>22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
>would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
>Please educate me . . . .

A stem for a threaded 1" steerer is 22.2mm in diameter, or 7/8".

A stem for a threaded 1 1/8" steerer is 25.4mm in diameter, or 1".

Yes, this does cause confusion, particularly on eBay where some of the
sellers are insufficiently exact about what they're selling...and may
be clueless in their answers to questions about the item.

Werehatrack
April 17th 04, 11:58 PM
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:33:04 -0400, rickn <rickn> may have said:

>Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
>stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
>22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
>would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
>Please educate me . . . .

A stem for a threaded 1" steerer is 22.2mm in diameter, or 7/8".

A stem for a threaded 1 1/8" steerer is 25.4mm in diameter, or 1".

Yes, this does cause confusion, particularly on eBay where some of the
sellers are insufficiently exact about what they're selling...and may
be clueless in their answers to questions about the item.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 18th 04, 03:23 PM
rickn-<< Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
1/8"?) threadless type stem. >><BR><BR>

Cinelli, Profile, some others....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 18th 04, 03:23 PM
rickn-<< Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
1/8"?) threadless type stem. >><BR><BR>

Cinelli, Profile, some others....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

andres muro
April 18th 04, 03:43 PM
Performance used to sell one. It is a cylinder that fits into the
headtube that gets wider at the top, to 1 1/8. Is that what you are
looking for? If this is it, I think that I have one at home. I'm out
of town. Send me an email tomorrow and I'll check.

Andres

rickn <rickn> wrote in message >...
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

andres muro
April 18th 04, 03:43 PM
Performance used to sell one. It is a cylinder that fits into the
headtube that gets wider at the top, to 1 1/8. Is that what you are
looking for? If this is it, I think that I have one at home. I'm out
of town. Send me an email tomorrow and I'll check.

Andres

rickn <rickn> wrote in message >...
> Greetings:
> Someone out there (other than Performance / Topo) must be making an
> adapter that would adapt from 22.2 mm quill stem to a threadless (1-
> 1/8"?) threadless type stem. I have been to a bunch of websites and I am
> surprised that none of the "big Name" stem manufacturers make this item.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have encountered claims of interchangeability between 22.2 mm
> stems and 1 inch stems. According to my scale, 1 inch = 25.4 mm (not
> 22.2). I'll take a guess: Maybe "1 inch" tubing refers to the O.D and
> would have and ID of 22.2 mm? But that is only a guess.
> Please educate me . . . .
> Thanks,
> Rick

Google