PDA

View Full Version : installing CK headset with home made press

santa
April 19th 04, 09:22 PM
Hi

I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required
to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want t
make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need t
do anything special to install a CK headset

Thanks

-

Sheldon Brown
April 19th 04, 10:04 PM
A shy person wrote:

> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?

I'm not normally a big believer in the need for special tools, but in
the case of Chris King headsets, I strongly advise having it done by a
shop that has the special tools.

Steel headsets can often be installed with a mallet, but due to the
construction of the Chris King, it really does require a precision
fitting tool to install without damage.

Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown
+------------------------------------+
| Immigrants are not our burden, |
| They are our wealth --Jane Adams |
+------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown
April 19th 04, 10:04 PM
A shy person wrote:

> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?

I'm not normally a big believer in the need for special tools, but in
the case of Chris King headsets, I strongly advise having it done by a
shop that has the special tools.

Steel headsets can often be installed with a mallet, but due to the
construction of the Chris King, it really does require a precision
fitting tool to install without damage.

Sheldon "Sometimes You Need The Special Tool" Brown
+------------------------------------+
| Immigrants are not our burden, |
| They are our wealth --Jane Adams |
+------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

BaCardi
April 19th 04, 11:23 PM
santa wrote:
> Hi,
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?
> Thanks.

No, not at all. You don't need a special tool. All you need is a headse
press. Chris King does make one, but for years people have installed th
cups of the King headsets with a normal headset press before King eve
came out with their special tool

-

BaCardi
April 19th 04, 11:23 PM
santa wrote:
> Hi,
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?
> Thanks.

No, not at all. You don't need a special tool. All you need is a headse
press. Chris King does make one, but for years people have installed th
cups of the King headsets with a normal headset press before King eve
came out with their special tool

-

Kenny Lee
April 20th 04, 01:39 AM
santa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?
>
> Thanks.

My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him about
30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with the CK. Of
course using a headset press is better but not necessary. CK headsets
are really tough headsets.

Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee
April 20th 04, 01:39 AM
santa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?
>
> Thanks.

My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him about
30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with the CK. Of
course using a headset press is better but not necessary. CK headsets
are really tough headsets.

Kenny Lee

jmm
April 20th 04, 01:45 AM
> Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset

Last time I checked, it looked to me like Chris King sold headset pres
"adapters", which allow some of the more industry common headset presse
to better fit the specific dimensions/construction of CK headsets. Ther
weren't outrageously expensive, and could possibly be used with wit
threaded rod, but..

I machined a couple of my own from 2" Aluminum bar stock that cente
radially on the headset bearing ID with a very slight loose fit, an
provide a step with a larger OD so the seating force gets applied to th
cup OD (rather than the bearing) when the nuts on the 3/8" x 1
allthread rod I use are screwed together. I've done about 6 that way
and haven't encountered any problems

It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly filein
to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" t
accomplish the same thing safely, but I suppose it could be done i
they were "stacked". I'm not sure CKs are any more fragile o
difficult to install properly than other headsets, but the fear facto
associated with the potential cost of screwingup begs for a carefu
and gentle approach

Joh

-

jmm
April 20th 04, 01:45 AM
> Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset

Last time I checked, it looked to me like Chris King sold headset pres
"adapters", which allow some of the more industry common headset presse
to better fit the specific dimensions/construction of CK headsets. Ther
weren't outrageously expensive, and could possibly be used with wit
threaded rod, but..

I machined a couple of my own from 2" Aluminum bar stock that cente
radially on the headset bearing ID with a very slight loose fit, an
provide a step with a larger OD so the seating force gets applied to th
cup OD (rather than the bearing) when the nuts on the 3/8" x 1
allthread rod I use are screwed together. I've done about 6 that way
and haven't encountered any problems

It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly filein
to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" t
accomplish the same thing safely, but I suppose it could be done i
they were "stacked". I'm not sure CKs are any more fragile o
difficult to install properly than other headsets, but the fear facto
associated with the potential cost of screwingup begs for a carefu
and gentle approach

Joh

-

Michael Dart
April 20th 04, 02:55 AM
In ,
santa > typed:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need
> to do anything special to install a CK headset?
>
> Thanks.

I'm with Sheldon on this one.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=single&c=Tools&sc=He
adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG-CA18

They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to the
outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on the
inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could use these
with a threaded rod type homemade press.

Mike

Michael Dart
April 20th 04, 02:55 AM
In ,
santa > typed:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need
> to do anything special to install a CK headset?
>
> Thanks.

I'm with Sheldon on this one.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=single&c=Tools&sc=He
adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG-CA18

They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to the
outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on the
inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could use these
with a threaded rod type homemade press.

Mike

BaCardi
April 20th 04, 03:01 AM
jmm wrote:
> > Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> Last time I checked, it looked to me like Chris King sold headset press
> "adapters", which allow some of the more industry common headset presses
> to better fit the specific dimensions/construction of CK headsets. There
> weren't outrageously expensive, and could possibly be used with with
> threaded rod, but...
> I machined a couple of my own from 2" Aluminum bar stock that center
> radially on the headset bearing ID with a very slight loose fit, and
> provide a step with a larger OD so the seating force gets applied to the
> cup OD (rather than the bearing) when the nuts on the 3/8" x 16
> allthread rod I use are screwed together. I've done about 6 that way,
> and haven't encountered any problems.
> It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly fileing
> to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" to
> accomplish the same thing safely, but I suppose it could be done if
> they were "stacked". I'm not sure CKs are any more fragile or
> difficult to install properly than other headsets, but the fear factor
> associated with the potential cost of screwingup begs for a careful
> and gentle approach.
> John

That's what I meant. I don't think a person really needs the Chris Kin
adapters in addition to the headset press unless your totally anal abou
it. I do recommend using a headset press though. A lot of people hav
installed the King headset using only a headset press without the Kin
adapter inserts. Remember, King didn't even actually make the specia
adapter tool until after the King headset was on the market and by the
a lot of mechanics were just using a regular headset press

-

BaCardi
April 20th 04, 03:01 AM
jmm wrote:
> > Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> Last time I checked, it looked to me like Chris King sold headset press
> "adapters", which allow some of the more industry common headset presses
> to better fit the specific dimensions/construction of CK headsets. There
> weren't outrageously expensive, and could possibly be used with with
> threaded rod, but...
> I machined a couple of my own from 2" Aluminum bar stock that center
> radially on the headset bearing ID with a very slight loose fit, and
> provide a step with a larger OD so the seating force gets applied to the
> cup OD (rather than the bearing) when the nuts on the 3/8" x 16
> allthread rod I use are screwed together. I've done about 6 that way,
> and haven't encountered any problems.
> It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly fileing
> to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" to
> accomplish the same thing safely, but I suppose it could be done if
> they were "stacked". I'm not sure CKs are any more fragile or
> difficult to install properly than other headsets, but the fear factor
> associated with the potential cost of screwingup begs for a careful
> and gentle approach.
> John

That's what I meant. I don't think a person really needs the Chris Kin
adapters in addition to the headset press unless your totally anal abou
it. I do recommend using a headset press though. A lot of people hav
installed the King headset using only a headset press without the Kin
adapter inserts. Remember, King didn't even actually make the specia
adapter tool until after the King headset was on the market and by the
a lot of mechanics were just using a regular headset press

-

Trent Piepho
April 20th 04, 10:54 AM
In article >,
jmm > wrote:
>It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly fileing
>to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" to

I made something like this with fender washers and few nuts for spacers
without much trouble. I was able to install one cup of the CK without
difficulty, but the second simply would not go in straight. Ended up riding
to the LPS with my frame on my shoulder to get the second one in. Nice thing
about a ti frame, it's easy to carry on your bike.

Trent Piepho
April 20th 04, 10:54 AM
In article >,
jmm > wrote:
>It would probably take a whole lot of scrounging, and possibly fileing
>to come up with the right combination of standard "fender washers" to

I made something like this with fender washers and few nuts for spacers
without much trouble. I was able to install one cup of the CK without
difficulty, but the second simply would not go in straight. Ended up riding
to the LPS with my frame on my shoulder to get the second one in. Nice thing
about a ti frame, it's easy to carry on your bike.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 20th 04, 01:51 PM
Ken-<< My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. >><BR><BR>

Geeezzzz....I echo what Sheldon syas. For this very expensive HS, have a bike
shop that has good tools and respectable wrenches do this. "Mallet and a screw
driver". How do places like this stay in biz????

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 20th 04, 01:51 PM
Ken-<< My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. >><BR><BR>

Geeezzzz....I echo what Sheldon syas. For this very expensive HS, have a bike
shop that has good tools and respectable wrenches do this. "Mallet and a screw
driver". How do places like this stay in biz????

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Kenny Lee
April 20th 04, 04:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken-<< My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. >><BR><BR>
>
> Geeezzzz....I echo what Sheldon syas. For this very expensive HS, have a bike
> shop that has good tools and respectable wrenches do this. "Mallet and a screw
> driver".

Well, maybe the screwdriver part was a little misleading. The LBS boss
man used the screwdriver and mallet to remove the old Campy bearing race
that sat atop of the fork crown. He then used a piece of pipe about 20"
long that had a diameter a little bigger that the fork's 1" steerer to
pound down the new CK bearing race. But he did use the mallet to pound
in the headset cups though. After 10,000k and an almost botched overhaul
done by me, this CK headset still works flawlessly.

How do places like this stay in biz????

Where I live people still view the bicycle as transportation. Junior
high and Senior high school students use the bicycle as their main means
of transportation. Zoning laws here permit storefront owners to live and
operate on their property. Also it helps that the average bike owner is
naive about how bikes work.

Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee
April 20th 04, 04:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ken-<< My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. >><BR><BR>
>
> Geeezzzz....I echo what Sheldon syas. For this very expensive HS, have a bike
> shop that has good tools and respectable wrenches do this. "Mallet and a screw
> driver".

Well, maybe the screwdriver part was a little misleading. The LBS boss
man used the screwdriver and mallet to remove the old Campy bearing race
that sat atop of the fork crown. He then used a piece of pipe about 20"
long that had a diameter a little bigger that the fork's 1" steerer to
pound down the new CK bearing race. But he did use the mallet to pound
in the headset cups though. After 10,000k and an almost botched overhaul
done by me, this CK headset still works flawlessly.

How do places like this stay in biz????

Where I live people still view the bicycle as transportation. Junior
high and Senior high school students use the bicycle as their main means
of transportation. Zoning laws here permit storefront owners to live and
operate on their property. Also it helps that the average bike owner is
naive about how bikes work.

Kenny Lee

Tim McNamara
April 20th 04, 06:44 PM
Kenny Lee > writes:

> My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him
> about 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with
> the CK. Of course using a headset press is better but not
> necessary. CK headsets are really tough headsets.

This has to be a troll. Or you've got the world's most incompetent
local bike shop.

Tim McNamara
April 20th 04, 06:44 PM
Kenny Lee > writes:

> My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him
> about 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with
> the CK. Of course using a headset press is better but not
> necessary. CK headsets are really tough headsets.

This has to be a troll. Or you've got the world's most incompetent
local bike shop.

Scott Hendricks
April 20th 04, 09:15 PM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message >...
> In ,
> santa > typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> > to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> > make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need
> > to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I'm with Sheldon on this one.
>
> http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=single&c=Tools&sc=He
> adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG-CA18
>
> They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to the
> outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on the
> inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could use these
> with a threaded rod type homemade press.
>
> Mike

Or, you could use the homemade 'threaded rod' press with washers large
enough to put the pressure on the outside rim of the headset and
forego the special tool. I've installed my CK headset in 3 different
frames this way.

Scott Hendricks
April 20th 04, 09:15 PM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message >...
> In ,
> santa > typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> > to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> > make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need
> > to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I'm with Sheldon on this one.
>
> http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=single&c=Tools&sc=He
> adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG-CA18
>
> They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to the
> outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on the
> inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could use these
> with a threaded rod type homemade press.
>
> Mike

Or, you could use the homemade 'threaded rod' press with washers large
enough to put the pressure on the outside rim of the headset and
forego the special tool. I've installed my CK headset in 3 different
frames this way.

Mike Krueger
April 20th 04, 10:17 PM
<< I made something like this with fender washers and few nuts for spacers
without much trouble. I was able to install one cup of the CK without
difficulty, but the second simply would not go in straight. Ended up riding
to the LPS with my frame on my shoulder to get the second one in. Nice thing
about a ti frame, it's easy to carry on your bike. >>

I simply do not understand why someone would risk damaging an expensive frame
and/or an expensive headset by trying to install it themselves with Rube
Goldberg homemade tools. You only have to install a King headset once for the
lifetime of a frame. What is so awful about paying a LBS $20 to do the job
correctly?

Mike Krueger
April 20th 04, 10:17 PM
<< I made something like this with fender washers and few nuts for spacers
without much trouble. I was able to install one cup of the CK without
difficulty, but the second simply would not go in straight. Ended up riding
to the LPS with my frame on my shoulder to get the second one in. Nice thing
about a ti frame, it's easy to carry on your bike. >>

I simply do not understand why someone would risk damaging an expensive frame
and/or an expensive headset by trying to install it themselves with Rube
Goldberg homemade tools. You only have to install a King headset once for the
lifetime of a frame. What is so awful about paying a LBS $20 to do the job
correctly?

Chalo
April 21st 04, 02:01 AM
Sheldon Brown > wrote:

> I'm not normally a big believer in the need for special tools, but in
> the case of Chris King headsets, I strongly advise having it done by a
> shop that has the special tools.

The fact that an ordinary cup press does not work on Chris King
headsets, coupled with the fact that the *stem* often requires facing
with a lathe in order for the headset to work properly, coupled with
the fact that Chris King headsets cost $120+, coupled with the fact
that It's Just A Freaking Headset After All, makes a long train of
reasons not to use a Chris King headset.

Chalo Colina

Chalo
April 21st 04, 02:01 AM
Sheldon Brown > wrote:

> I'm not normally a big believer in the need for special tools, but in
> the case of Chris King headsets, I strongly advise having it done by a
> shop that has the special tools.

The fact that an ordinary cup press does not work on Chris King
headsets, coupled with the fact that the *stem* often requires facing
with a lathe in order for the headset to work properly, coupled with
the fact that Chris King headsets cost $120+, coupled with the fact
that It's Just A Freaking Headset After All, makes a long train of
reasons not to use a Chris King headset.

Chalo Colina

VCopelan
April 21st 04, 02:22 AM
(Chalo) Writes:

>The fact that an ordinary cup press does not work on Chris King
>headsets, coupled with the fact that the *stem* often requires facing
>with a lathe in order for the headset to work properly, coupled with
>the fact that Chris King headsets cost $120+, coupled with the fact
>that It's Just A Freaking Headset After All, makes a long train of
>reasons not to use a Chris King headset.

For a few dollars you can order from a Chris King an adapter for your headset
press so you can install them yourself. Stem facing? Would that be for the
threadless headset? I installed my CK threaded headsets without facing the
stem with a lathe. From time to time, you can find Chris King headsets on the
usenet for closer to $65.

VCopelan
April 21st 04, 02:22 AM
(Chalo) Writes:

>The fact that an ordinary cup press does not work on Chris King
>headsets, coupled with the fact that the *stem* often requires facing
>with a lathe in order for the headset to work properly, coupled with
>the fact that Chris King headsets cost $120+, coupled with the fact
>that It's Just A Freaking Headset After All, makes a long train of
>reasons not to use a Chris King headset.

For a few dollars you can order from a Chris King an adapter for your headset
press so you can install them yourself. Stem facing? Would that be for the
threadless headset? I installed my CK threaded headsets without facing the
stem with a lathe. From time to time, you can find Chris King headsets on the
usenet for closer to $65.

Kenny Lee
April 21st 04, 02:50 AM
Tim McNamara wrote:
> Kenny Lee > writes:
>

>>My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him
>>about 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with
>>the CK. Of course using a headset press is better but not
>>necessary. CK headsets are really tough headsets.
>

> This has to be a troll. Or you've got the world's most incompetent
> local bike shop.

Ain't no troll. The LBS owner is the second generation owner and has
been doing the bike business for 30 plus years. As far as his competency
is concerned, I would trust him to remove a stuck BB, rebuild a hub or
install a headset, but I don't trust him to build me some bomb proof
wheels.

Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee
April 21st 04, 02:50 AM
Tim McNamara wrote:
> Kenny Lee > writes:
>

>>My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him
>>about 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with
>>the CK. Of course using a headset press is better but not
>>necessary. CK headsets are really tough headsets.
>

> This has to be a troll. Or you've got the world's most incompetent
> local bike shop.

Ain't no troll. The LBS owner is the second generation owner and has
been doing the bike business for 30 plus years. As far as his competency
is concerned, I would trust him to remove a stuck BB, rebuild a hub or
install a headset, but I don't trust him to build me some bomb proof
wheels.

Kenny Lee

the blur
April 21st 04, 05:00 AM
Scott Hendricks wrote:
> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> > In :3yWgc.5513$z-
> > , santa <usenet-
> > > typed:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is
> > > "required" to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike,
> > > and I want to make my own headset press as detailed on several web
> > > pages. Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I'm with Sheldon on this one.
> >
> > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=s-
> > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=s-
> > ingle&c=Tools&sc=He adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG- CA18
> >
> > They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to
> > the outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on
> > the inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could
> > use these with a threaded rod type homemade press.
> >
> > Mike
> Or, you could use the homemade 'threaded rod' press with washers large
> enough to put the pressure on the outside rim of the headset and
> forego the special tool. I've installed my CK headset in 3 different
> frames this way.

so your washer is pressing on the outside rim of the cup itself, not o
the bearing inside the cup? i'm about to do this too

-

the blur
April 21st 04, 05:00 AM
Scott Hendricks wrote:
> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> > In :3yWgc.5513$z-
> > , santa <usenet-
> > > typed:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is
> > > "required" to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike,
> > > and I want to make my own headset press as detailed on several web
> > > pages. Do I need to do anything special to install a CK headset?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I'm with Sheldon on this one.
> >
> > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=s-
> > http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=598417622688&d=s-
> > ingle&c=Tools&sc=He adset&tc=Press%20Adaptors&item_id=KG- CA18
> >
> > They are $30 bucks. They center the press and distribute the load to
> > the outside rim of the CK headset. A normal press will put pressure on
> > the inner race of the CK bearings possibly damaging them. You could
> > use these with a threaded rod type homemade press.
> >
> > Mike
> Or, you could use the homemade 'threaded rod' press with washers large
> enough to put the pressure on the outside rim of the headset and
> forego the special tool. I've installed my CK headset in 3 different
> frames this way.

so your washer is pressing on the outside rim of the cup itself, not o
the bearing inside the cup? i'm about to do this too

-

the blur
April 21st 04, 05:00 AM
so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one to
press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup

--

the blur
April 21st 04, 05:00 AM
so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one to
press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup

--

VCopelan
April 21st 04, 05:23 AM
>the blur Writes:

>so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
>the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
>bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one to
>press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup

Chris King makes the adapter. They sell them in sets for the different brand
headset press (if I remember correctly). They press on the outer edge of the
cup and not on the bearing. You probably could make up a tool like their tool.

VCopelan
April 21st 04, 05:23 AM
>the blur Writes:

>so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
>the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
>bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one to
>press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup

Chris King makes the adapter. They sell them in sets for the different brand
headset press (if I remember correctly). They press on the outer edge of the
cup and not on the bearing. You probably could make up a tool like their tool.

A Muzi
April 21st 04, 07:59 AM
santa wrote:
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?

Don't press across the bearing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi
April 21st 04, 07:59 AM
santa wrote:
> I read that Chris King has a special tool that he claims is "required"
> to install a CK headset. I am building up my first bike, and I want to
> make my own headset press as detailed on several web pages. Do I need to
> do anything special to install a CK headset?

Don't press across the bearing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

A Muzi
April 21st 04, 08:08 AM

Kenny Lee wrote:
> My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him about
> 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with the CK. Of
> course using a headset press is better but not necessary. CK headsets
> are really tough headsets.

It's still not a good idea. Sounds like he pressed against
the bearing itself, poor practice. The inexpensive CK tool
(Or the Galli one which is nearly identical) really helps.

--

Kenny Lee wrote:
> My LBS installed my CK using a mallet and screwdriver. It took him about
> 30 minutes to remove the original headset and replace it with the CK. Of
> course using a headset press is better but not necessary. CK headsets
> are really tough headsets.

It's still not a good idea. Sounds like he pressed against
the bearing itself, poor practice. The inexpensive CK tool
(Or the Galli one which is nearly identical) really helps.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 21st 04, 02:07 PM
ken-<< Ain't no troll. The LBS owner is the second generation owner and has
been doing the bike business for 30 plus years. As far as his competency
is concerned, I would trust him to remove a stuck BB, rebuild a hub or
install a headset, but I don't trust him to build me some bomb proof
wheels. >><BR><BR>

Ain't a bike wrench either...if he uses these stone age tools to install a $120
HS...I wouldn't trust him to adjust a brake, let alone actually build
something. Shop wrenching, with proper tools, is not a black art..Using a
mallet and screw driver makes me cringe....

[...]

April 21st 04, 02:10 PM
Ken-<< He then used a piece of pipe about 20"
long that had a diameter a little bigger that the fork's 1" steerer to
pound down the new CK bearing race. >><BR><BR>

Did he have anything against the CK race? Or just smack the big pipe against
this expensive part??

Ken-<< Where I live people still view the bicycle as transportation. Junior
high and Senior high school students use the bicycle as their main means
of transportation. Zoning laws here permit storefront owners to live and
operate on their property. Also it helps that the average bike owner is
naive about how bikes work. >><BR><BR>

What does this have to do with using proper tools???

[...]

April 21st 04, 10:42 PM
Vcopelan wrote:
> >the blur Writes:
> >so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
> >the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
> >bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one
> >to press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup
> Chris King makes the adapter. They sell them in sets for the different
> brand headset press (if I remember correctly). They press on the outer
> edge of the cup and not on the bearing. You probably could make up a
> tool like their tool.

yep. 7/8" threaded rod ("allthread"), and a couple of 7/8" washers wit
2"diameter, and some 7/8" nuts did the trick. total cost $6.82 at m
local hardware store. beats $120 for the park press and $30 for th
special chris king adapters, especially for a tool i'll use once every
years. thank

-

the blur
April 21st 04, 10:42 PM
Vcopelan wrote:
> >the blur Writes:
> >so who has a chris king adapter? what does it press on when you tighten
> >the press? is it the outer edge of the cup? or the outer edge of the
> >bearing inside the cup? it would be fairly simple to make or find one
> >to press on the cup edge i think, since it could be larger than the cup
> Chris King makes the adapter. They sell them in sets for the different
> brand headset press (if I remember correctly). They press on the outer
> edge of the cup and not on the bearing. You probably could make up a
> tool like their tool.

yep. 7/8" threaded rod ("allthread"), and a couple of 7/8" washers wit
2"diameter, and some 7/8" nuts did the trick. total cost $6.82 at m
local hardware store. beats $120 for the park press and $30 for th
special chris king adapters, especially for a tool i'll use once every
years. thank

-

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home