PDA

View Full Version : Re: How many bikes do you have?

M. Barbee
July 24th 03, 04:01 AM
I've got 2. A hybrid and a hybrid...well the second hybrid leans more
toward a road bike. I think I could fit another one into my apartment. I'd
like to own a real road bike, keep my better roadlike hybrid and trade in my
cheap hybrid for a mtn. bike.

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Fred
July 24th 03, 04:10 AM
4. A road bike, a hybrid, a mountain bike and a hybrid for my wife. I ride
every one of them every week.

Fred

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Walter Mitty
July 24th 03, 05:22 AM
"Fred" > brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in he conjectured
that:

> 4. A road bike, a hybrid, a mountain bike and a hybrid for my wife.
> I ride every one of them every week.
>
> Fred

5 rides a week? You have a lucky wife.

--
Walter Mitty.

Robin Hubert
July 24th 03, 06:14 AM
I currently have one too many, I think, at three.

--
Robin Hubert >

James H.
July 24th 03, 08:57 AM
I have three, and two being rebuilt.

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Zoot Katz
July 24th 03, 09:58 AM
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT,
>, MisNomer
> wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Logically, four bikes are the absolute minimum.

Four directions, four seasons, four elements.

Road - This can be a touring, audax or racing bike.
Street - For utility or commuter cycling.
Dirt - BMX, downhill, trails, XC etc.
Track - This can be a track bike if you live near a velodrome or just
a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica,
recumbent or other whacked out bike all bike whackos must have.

I've eleven and now a unicycle too.
--
zk

Don Wiss
July 24th 03, 11:23 AM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Zoot Katz > wrote:

> or just
>a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica,
>recumbent or other whacked out bike all bike whackos must have.

Which are most appropriate to ride in your local Critical Mass, which is
tomorrow!

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Jim Price
July 24th 03, 02:47 PM
MisNomer wrote:

> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Without going into too much detail about 19 bikes they are...

Good FS off road bike
Cheap FS off road bike
Good hardtail
Cheap hardtail
Urban assault hardtail
Time trial
Training
Commuting
Folding
Trials
Touring
Shopping
Recumbent
Folding
Going down the pub bike
Experimental bike
Singlespeed fixie
Offroad singlespeed
The bike I least mind getting stolen also known as the bike that gets
all the worn out or broken-and-bodged components. It currently has 1"
pedla to ground clearance, so anyone riding off on it would only get to
the first corner.

Don't know if these count, but:
2 unicycles (20" and 2")
Front wheel + handlebars for unicycle.

Don't forget surgery to the house to store this lot.

The experimental bike gets the components I didn't like in their
original configuration added to it in not necessarily conventional ways,
to see what can be made to work.

They don't all get ridden every week, but they do every year.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

RG
July 24th 03, 02:49 PM
"Jim Price" > wrote in message
> MisNomer wrote:
>
> > Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?
>
> Without going into too much detail about 19 bikes they are...

..... gosh, I thought my tally of 11 was excessive ! (does you wife nag
about the bikes as much as mine does?)

Rob

Rick Onanian
July 24th 03, 03:21 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer > wrote:

> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

1. Mountain bike -- Very gnarly off-road-only bike

2. Road bike -- Very aggressive pavement-only bike, also rather expensive
and aesthetically pleasing.

3. Backup road bike -- Comfortable, less agressive, old, not as light as
#2, rescued from trash on garbage day. Then I spent probably up to $80 in
parts on it...but it's a nice result for my money!

I'd like to rescue a good mountain bike, but so far they've all been a la
huffy, so I fix 'em and my friend ride them (or I give them away).

--
Rick Onanian

Zoot Katz
July 24th 03, 06:34 PM
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:23:29 -0400,
Don Wiss > wrote:

>>a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica,
>>recumbent or other whacked out bike all bike whackos must have.
>
>Which are most appropriate to ride in your local Critical Mass, which is
>tomorrow!

I like my fixey for CM because it's easiest for one-armed hold-ups!
--
zk

RainMan
July 24th 03, 06:44 PM
Your wife doesn't mind your riding her bike each week?

"Fred" > wrote in message
. ..
> 4. A road bike, a hybrid, a mountain bike and a hybrid for my wife. I
ride
> every one of them every week.
>
> Fred
>
> "MisNomer" > wrote in message
> > Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 24th 03, 07:09 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer > wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

The more the merrier. I have a recumbent, a tourer, a mountain bike
and a triplet - and I want a road bike and a recumbent trike as well
:-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

July 24th 03, 08:42 PM
Zoot Katz > wrote:

: Logically, four bikes are the absolute minimum.

Given the magnificent versatility of recumbents, I've come to
think of three. You know, like Father, Son and The Holy Spirit and
all that. So here they come:

Practical recumbent: trike for commuting and touring.

All-around upright: hybrid for stuff "bents can't do". (A mountain
bike might be better dunno, I do lots of [sub]urban commuting.)

Lightning fast recumbent: for the races and speed records.
Something very special, probably fully faired and capable of 70+
km/h. Possibly able to be ridden on open road. Only exists in my
dreams so far :-)

BTW I recall we did this thread last Fall :p

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Rick Warner
July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
My answer to the question is ... too many, and not enough. I have 3
at
present:

1) Fast road bike/triathlon bike
2) Utilitarian road bike/training bike
3) Touring bike with coupled frame

Just got rid of the hardtail MTB for a number of reasons. An MTB
might
be in the future, but due to an injury last year it will have to be
different. It may end up being a fat-tired road bike, aka a Rivendell
Atlantis or Rambouillet. Then there is the 'need' for a tandem (may
push the utilitarian bike out the door).

I find at the very least I really want 2 bikes. I found that out when
I had
collapsed the stable to a single bike that had a frame problem
(failure of BB
shell). Took the LBS/manufacturer 12 weeks to get a warranty
replacement in
my hands. Then a few months later there was a weld problem on the
frame; another
4 weeks+ without a bike. Really want that second set of wheels so I
am
not stranded in the future.

- rick

henry
July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
Whoah--thanks, I had no idea that was the formula...

"honey, rbr says I need another bike...."

ie
ride fast, take chances

"joel roth" > wrote in message
> The correct number of bikes to own is N +1, where N is equal to the
> current number of bikes that you own.
>
> Joel
>
> MisNomer wrote:
>
> >Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Michael
July 24th 03, 10:20 PM
> "MisNomer" > wrote in message
> > Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Absolutely.

I consider bikes tools - gotta have the right one for the job. You need:

1) a road bike for fast rides in good weather
2) a MTB or hybrid for off-road and/or family rides
3) an all-weather commuting bike
4) a tandem to take along a friend or family member
5) a single-speed for fun and form.

I've got 3 of the 5, and intend to have all within a few years.

Sell the car if you need to.

Michael

James Hodson
July 24th 03, 10:46 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer > wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Just two. Orbea Larrau (road bike) and an old Trek 4300 (rigid) hack
around town MTB(ish) steed.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

July 24th 03, 10:51 PM
henry > wrote:
: Whoah--thanks, I had no idea that was the formula...

Of course, it's easy to prove by mathematical induction.

Benefits of college education... ;)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

John Everett
July 25th 03, 02:30 AM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer > wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

You'll get a wide range of answers, but I have six.

1) A restored 1965 or 66 (not sure) Peugeot PX10E. This spends most of
its time hanging from my living room wall.

2) A 1989 (or so) Trek 1400, my "beater" road bike.

3) A 1992 Vitus 992, my "good" road bike.

4) A Nishiki Linear "funny bike" of indeterminent age. I used to TT,
but haven't even ridden it in a few years. Perhaps I should sell it.

5) A Fuji Touring Series, also of unknown vintage. Everyone should
have a touring bike with a granny for those trips to the Colorado
Rockies (leaving next Wednesday for this year's visit).

6) A mountain bike built from a discarded Trek prototype OCLV frame.
If you're going to have a MTB it might as well be unique. :-)

Eric Murray
July 25th 03, 03:20 AM
In article >,
MisNomer > wrote:
>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Only if your riding requires it.
More bikes means more maintenance.

I have a road bike and a mountain bike.

When I lived where it was practical to commute
by bike I had three bikes-- road, mountain and
a commuter with fenders and lights.

I think that's the normal number for a bikie.

Eric

Mike Kruger
July 25th 03, 03:28 AM
Jim Price wrote:

> 2 unicycles (20" and 2")

Is 2 inch a typo, or a unicycle with an in-line skating wheel?
Nice homebuilt recumbent, by the way.

Mike Kruger
July 25th 03, 03:37 AM
"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> which brings up another question.... where do you keep these bikes.
>
> I want to convert the shed outside into a "bike garage". The man says
"where
> are we going to put the lawnmower"?

Answer: I got hooks, and hang some of the bikes by the front wheel from the
ceiling in the rear of the shed. This provides ground clearance to put the
lawnmower beneath. There is, of course, a tendency to ride whichever bike is
closest to the door of the shed.

I've got 6 bikes, daughter #1 (21) has 2, daughter #2 (16) has 3. Wife has
0.
We have a bad habit of rescuing bikes from dumpsters.

But, in my defense, my 6 are all different:
Road bike, set up for touring/commuting.
Road bike, set up for day rides (lighter)
Mountain bike
Hybrid, used in rain/winter, with fenders and 2nd wheel set for studded
tires.
Recumbent
Tandem

I actually came close to buying a unicycle a couple of years ago, but then
broke a finger playing basketball and recovered from the unicycle urge by
the time it healed.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 25th 03, 05:17 AM
Chalo wrote in message >...
>4 practical 700c bikes, a tad offbeat perhaps, but normal riding
>2 recognizable MTBs
>1 extravagant made-to-measure custom MTB, too nice for dirt really
>2 choppers
>1 tallbike
>1 stretched-frame cruiser with a crack in it
>1 human-powered sulky
>1 adult-sized Big Wheel trike
>1 20" wheeled bike that defies brief description
>1 wild 3-wheeler that defies pretty much everything

Why not sell that whole mess and get yourself
something like an 52cm Pinarello in team Fasso
Bortolo colors?

Tom Keats
July 25th 03, 07:27 AM
In article >,
MisNomer > writes:
> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Maybe everybody who has (or had) at least one physical bike
also has a Spirit Bike -- the one we sometimes dream about
riding, in those dreams that refresh and rekindle our joy
of cycling.

There was a time when I almost forgot that joy, and had been
bikeless for a number of years, when one such dream of riding
reminded me of what I was missing. After that, I /had/ to
ride again. So, of course, I did.

I've seen many posts here, from people who've suddenly felt
the impulse to return to cycling after a long, bikeless
"hiatus". I bet a lot of them have had that same personal
experience of their spirit bikes compelling and nagging at
them to get back into riding again.

I think everyone who has dreams and has ever ridden a bike,
has a spirit bike in their fleet.

One nice thing about spirit bikes is, they don't get stolen.
In fact, many of 'em might be ethereal representations of
ppl's physical bikes that got stolen and not replaced.

cheers,
Tom