PDA

View Full Version : Other kind of strange flats

Zog The Undeniable
May 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
Jacques Moser wrote:

> Another kind of strange flats a friend of mine has got.
>
> The tubes have strings of little holes, millimeters apart but irregularly
> spaced, along several centimeters. They appear on both sides/flanks of
> the tube, not against the rim, not on the rolling surface.
>
> The tubes are Chen Shin, 700C, for tire width 35 to 43. Tires are 700x38C,
> I don't know the brand. Friend says he has replaced tubes with same brand
> and has seen the problem reappearing after some time.
>
> We carefully inspected the tire inner surface and found nothing (or I
> wouldn't be posting this). Also, in my opinion, there seems to be just too
> many of these little holes for them to be caused either by an object
> trapped between tire and tube, or by a pinch.
>
> Could it be that the tubes are just crap ?

What about the edge of the rim tape, or a poorly finished rim bed?

Jacques Moser
May 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Another kind of strange flats a friend of mine has got.

The tubes have strings of little holes, millimeters apart but irregularly
spaced, along several centimeters. They appear on both sides/flanks of
the tube, not against the rim, not on the rolling surface.

The tubes are Chen Shin, 700C, for tire width 35 to 43. Tires are 700x38C,
I don't know the brand. Friend says he has replaced tubes with same brand
and has seen the problem reappearing after some time.

We carefully inspected the tire inner surface and found nothing (or I
wouldn't be posting this). Also, in my opinion, there seems to be just too
many of these little holes for them to be caused either by an object
trapped between tire and tube, or by a pinch.

Could it be that the tubes are just crap ?

Jacques

daveornee
May 2nd 04, 10:21 PM
Jacques Moser wrote:
> Another kind of strange flats a friend of mine has got.
> The tubes have strings of little holes, millimeters apart but
> irregularly spaced, along several centimeters. They appear on
> both sides/flanks of the tube, not against the rim, not on the
> rolling surface.
> The tubes are Chen Shin, 700C, for tire width 35 to 43. Tires are
> 700x38C, I don't know the brand. Friend says he has replaced tubes with
> same brand and has seen the problem reappearing after some time.
> We carefully inspected the tire inner surface and found nothing (or I
> wouldn't be posting this). Also, in my opinion, there seems to be just
> too many of these little holes for them to be caused either by an object
> trapped between tire and tube, or by a pinch.
> Could it be that the tubes are just crap ?
> Jacques

Tubes could be bad and/or installation method could be flawed, or ther
could be something in the rim/tape/tire

1..Is the tube partially inflated to take donut shape befor
installation

2..Are the tire edges checked around both sides of the rim as the tub
is inflated to make sure that no part of the tube is trapped

Sometimes a little talc can help the tube slip in where it belongs an
stay nice and donut shaped in it's place securely inside the tire. Ca
you get some Michelin or Continental tubes of the proper size an
valve to see if that cares for the problem? Can you pass a cotton bal
around the entire surface area of the inside of the tire withou
leaving "snags"

-

jim beam
May 2nd 04, 10:26 PM
aside from all the usual mechanical failures, cheap tubes can also show
these kinds of faults. impurities in the material or inadequate
vulcanization. just buy a better brand of tube.

Jacques Moser wrote:
> Another kind of strange flats a friend of mine has got.
>
> The tubes have strings of little holes, millimeters apart but irregularly
> spaced, along several centimeters. They appear on both sides/flanks of
> the tube, not against the rim, not on the rolling surface.
>
> The tubes are Chen Shin, 700C, for tire width 35 to 43. Tires are 700x38C,
> I don't know the brand. Friend says he has replaced tubes with same brand
> and has seen the problem reappearing after some time.
>
> We carefully inspected the tire inner surface and found nothing (or I
> wouldn't be posting this). Also, in my opinion, there seems to be just too
> many of these little holes for them to be caused either by an object
> trapped between tire and tube, or by a pinch.
>
> Could it be that the tubes are just crap ?
>
> Jacques

Rick Onanian
May 3rd 04, 09:11 PM
On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:58:11 +0200, "Jacques Moser"
> wrote:
>The tubes have strings of little holes, millimeters apart but irregularly
>spaced, along several centimeters. They appear on both sides/flanks of
>the tube, not against the rim, not on the rolling surface.

Sounds almost as if the tire is slipping on the rim, and abrading
the tube as a result. I don't know if it could happen, and if so, if
it would cause that problem, but I suppose that it's a possibility.
--
Rick Onanian

A Muzi
May 4th 04, 05:18 AM

Rick Onanian wrote:
> Sounds almost as if the tire is slipping on the rim, and abrading
> the tube as a result. I don't know if it could happen, and if so, if
> it would cause that problem, but I suppose that it's a possibility.

That's a real possibility on fat tires ridden at 10~20psi
but unlikely (impossible?) at road pressures.
Think 2 pieces of rubber with 100psi pressure. Now slide
them. . .
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org