PDA

View Full Version : Chris King Alloy Drive Shell

Dave
May 11th 04, 10:24 PM
What are people's experiences with the Chris King alloy drive shells? I
have a stainless steel one, and I'm getting another set of CK hubs, and
wanted to know what the alloy ones were like.

Thought, opinions?

Many thanks,
Dave

Bow
May 12th 04, 07:28 AM
I'm interested in this too. Also, does anyone know a good international
dealer for CK hubs? What should i expect to pay, and are skewers included?

Regards

Bow

"Dave" > wrote in message
> What are people's experiences with the Chris King alloy drive shells? I
> have a stainless steel one, and I'm getting another set of CK hubs, and
> wanted to know what the alloy ones were like.
>
> Thought, opinions?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dave

daveornee
May 12th 04, 02:00 PM
Dave wrote:
> What are people's experiences with the Chris King alloy drive shells? I
> have a stainless steel one, and I'm getting another set of CK hubs, and
> wanted to know what the alloy ones were like.
> Thought, opinions?
> Many thanks, Dave

I use Chris King for road, touring, and MTB. The aluminum alloy driv
shell works OK as long as you use cogs that are mounted on carriers tha
help spread the load. I tried a MTB cassette with the largest 2 cogs o
a carrier once, and that distorted the carrier such that the shiftin
degraded. The carrier had significant impression from that venture.
wouldn't try it again with any less than 3 cogs on a carrier for th
large cogs. If you already have the stainless steel one I would keep it
I know there is a weight difference, but it isn't worth it to me

As a side note, Shimano's 10 Speed DURA ACE cassette is has deepe
ridges/valleys to handle the load on the 10 speed hub

-

Sheldon Brown
May 12th 04, 05:23 PM
daveornee wrote:

> I use Chris King for road, touring, and MTB. The aluminum alloy drive
> shell works OK as long as you use cogs that are mounted on carriers that
> help spread the load. I tried a MTB cassette with the largest 2 cogs on
> a carrier once, and that distorted the carrier such that the shifting
> degraded. The carrier had significant impression from that venture. I
> wouldn't try it again with any less than 3 cogs on a carrier for the
> large cogs. If you already have the stainless steel one I would keep it.
> I know there is a weight difference, but it isn't worth it to me.
>
> As a side note, Shimano's 10 Speed DURA ACE cassette is has deeper
> ridges/valleys to handle the load on the 10 speed hub.

Actually, I believe the reasons for the taller ridges on the hub is to
prevent the use of loose sprockets. This is because the new Dura-Ace
hub is the first Shimano hub to use an aluminum Freehub body. Such
bodies are notoriously inadequate for use with loose sprockets in the
larger sizes. The soft alumiuum gets notched up and it can become very
difficult to remove the sprockets.

Personally, I consider aluminum Freehub bodies to fall into the "stupid
light" category of parts.

Sheldon "Steel" Brown
+-----------------------------+
| Razors pain you; |
| Rivers are damp; |
| Acids stain you; |
| And drugs cause cramp; |
| Guns aren't lawful; |
| Nooses give; |
| Gas smells awful; |
| You might as well live. |
| --Dorothy Parker |
+-----------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

daveornee
May 12th 04, 08:49 PM
Sheldon Brown wrote:
> daveornee wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > As a side note, Shimano's 10 Speed DURA ACE cassette is has deeper
> > ridges/valleys to handle the load on the 10 speed hub.
> Actually, I believe the reasons for the taller ridges on the hub is to
> prevent the use of loose sprockets. This is because the new Dura-Ace hub
> is the first Shimano hub to use an aluminum Freehub body. Such bodies
> are notoriously inadequate for use with loose sprockets in the larger
> sizes. The soft alumiuum gets notched up and it can become very
> difficult to remove the sprockets.
> Personally, I consider aluminum Freehub bodies to fall into the "stupid
> light" category of parts.
> Sheldon "Steel" Brown +-----------------------------+
> | Razors pain you; | Rivers are damp; | Acids stain you;
> | | And drugs cause cramp; | Guns aren't lawful; | Nooses
> | give; | Gas smells awful; | You might as well live. | --Dorothy
> | Parker |
> +-----------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
> Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com/http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
> shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com/http://captainbike.com[/url]
> http://sheldonbrown.com/"]http://sheldonbrown.com

On the 10 speed DURA ACE hub, the one with the aluminum alloy casett
body, you can't fit any current cogs except the DURA ACE 10 speed. Tha
certainy does what Sheldon says. The deeper grooves also provide mor
surface to spread the load on the softer material. I guess weigh
savings drove them to it. I see the front hub is acutually heavier fro
9 to 10 speed however. Score 1 for marketing and 1 for engineering. O
the Chris King side of the story, using a 9 speed DURA ACE cassette
which has the largest 3 cogs on a carrier, makes only small "nicks" i
the ridges of the aluminum drive shell. I pull the cassette about ever
1,000 miles to give it a dunking and complete cleaning. When I do that
also clean up the "nicks" on the ridges of the CK drive shell
Everything has been working well for over 30,000 miles on one CK hub.
do regular maintenance on the hub, including the ring drive and "O
rings. I use Chris King lube made for their hubs. I have similar result
with a 9 speed XTR cassettes on my touring bicycle, but only 16,00
miles on that hub. If you want the Stainless Steel Drive shell fro
Chris King you will need to wait for 30 - 45 days as they are out o
stock. Note that not all Shimano cassettes have precisely the sam
width. Some are undersized enough to be loose on the drive shell. If yo
find one of these, there are thin washers ( 0.5 to 1.0 mm) to tighte
things up. Proper torque and grease on the lock ring threads is alway
called for

-

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home