PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 600 front derailer

Szymon \Szymszy\ Seliga
May 13th 04, 03:12 PM
I've got fd-6400 and fc-6400 crankset.
And the problem is that when I use the STI [st-6400] the derailers travel is
too short.[The derailler is mounted properly] What I mean is
that it looks like if the STI take out too little of the derailer cable.
Having the derailler in the lowest position [ so that there is ca. 1-2 mm
space between the chain and the cage on the inner side]. Now when I change
the gear with the STI's as if I wanted the highest gear, then when the
chain is on the bigger chain wheel and the smallest 3 cogs, it brushes
angainst the cage on the outter side.

I disassemblede the left STI, and it looks perfect the teeth aren't worn
out.
BTW how many "clicks" should the shifter have. Mine hase got 2 and a half.

Any thoughts?

Simon

dianne_1234
May 14th 04, 02:43 PM
On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:12:13 +0200, "Szymon \"Szymszy\" Seliga"
> wrote:

>I've got fd-6400 and fc-6400 crankset.
>And the problem is that when I use the STI [st-6400] the derailers travel is
>too short.[The derailler is mounted properly] What I mean is
>that it looks like if the STI take out too little of the derailer cable.
>Having the derailler in the lowest position [ so that there is ca. 1-2 mm
>space between the chain and the cage on the inner side]. Now when I change
>the gear with the STI's as if I wanted the highest gear, then when the
>chain is on the bigger chain wheel and the smallest 3 cogs, it brushes
>angainst the cage on the outter side.
>
>I disassemblede the left STI, and it looks perfect the teeth aren't worn
>out.
>BTW how many "clicks" should the shifter have. Mine hase got 2 and a half.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Simon

I don't think FD-6400 is STI compatible.
http://www.velomech.ch/images/parts/shimano-fd-6400-ultegra600-umwerfer-loet-bp.jpg

The FD-6401 is:
http://www3.big.or.jp/~number-1/Image.Shimano78.gif

The FD-6400 is one of those Shimano derailleurs that require the cable
to be *below* the anchor bolt for proper STI functioning. There is a
second groove, outboard of the cable anchor bolt. Use that one.

Erik Lindeberg
May 14th 04, 07:54 PM
"Szymon "Szymszy" Seliga" > wrote in message
> I've got fd-6400 and fc-6400 crankset.
> And the problem is that when I use the STI [st-6400] the derailers travel
is
> too short.[The derailler is mounted properly] What I mean is
> that it looks like if the STI take out too little of the derailer cable.
> Having the derailler in the lowest position [ so that there is ca. 1-2 mm
> space between the chain and the cage on the inner side]. Now when I change
> the gear with the STI's as if I wanted the highest gear, then when the
> chain is on the bigger chain wheel and the smallest 3 cogs, it brushes
> angainst the cage on the outter side.
> BTW how many "clicks" should the shifter have. Mine hase got 2 and a half.

I use an old FD-6400 (braze-on type), in combination with a new
Ultergra ST-6510 shifter and a new Durace FC-7800 crank.
The combination works fine. It takes two clicks to shift, though.
Erik L

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home