PDA

View Full Version : Repairing broken derailer hanger, aluminum frame

Matt O'Toole
June 3rd 04, 02:49 AM
I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog (a
story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily, or
should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on? Where
would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop says
tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.

Matt O.

June 3rd 04, 04:02 AM
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:49:43 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
> wrote:

>I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog (a
>story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily, or
>should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
>add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on? Where
>would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop says
>tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.
>
>Matt O.

Dear Matt,

This may not address your problem directly, depending on the
details of the frame, but Andrew Muzi can probably give you
good advice on the phone, judging by this page:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/enz.html

Carl Fogel

Zog The Undeniable
June 3rd 04, 10:53 AM
Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog (a
> story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily, or
> should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
> add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on? Where
> would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop says
> tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.

If it was bolt-on, try www.derailleur-hanger.com.

If it wasn't, you almost certainly need a new frame. Having said that,
it doesn't take a heavy load so you could possibly get something made up
and welded on, provided the heat isn't allowed to soak through the stays.

Mark South
June 3rd 04, 11:05 AM
"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
> > I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog
(a
> > story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily,
or
> > should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
> > add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on?
Where
> > would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop
says
> > tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.
>
> If it was bolt-on, try www.derailleur-hanger.com.
>
> If it wasn't, you almost certainly need a new frame. Having said that,
> it doesn't take a heavy load so you could possibly get something made up
> and welded on, provided the heat isn't allowed to soak through the stays.

This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues. Has
anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Bruni
June 3rd 04, 11:08 AM
I have fashioned custom bolt-on hangers for such bikes (early Trek + Klien).
Check with frame builders in your area.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Mark South > wrote in message
> "Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> > Matt O'Toole wrote:
> >
> > > I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a
dog
> (a
> > > story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired
easily,
> or
> > > should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is
there an
> > > add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on?
> Where
> > > would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the
shop
> says
> > > tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.
> >
> > If it was bolt-on, try www.derailleur-hanger.com.
> >
> > If it wasn't, you almost certainly need a new frame. Having said that,
> > it doesn't take a heavy load so you could possibly get something made up
> > and welded on, provided the heat isn't allowed to soak through the
stays.

> This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues.
Has
> anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?
> --
> Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Zog The Undeniable
June 3rd 04, 03:39 PM
Bruni wrote:

> I have fashioned custom bolt-on hangers for such bikes (early Trek + Klien).
> Check with frame builders in your area.

I confess I hadn't thought of that, although they look clunky. Some of
the lower-end Shimano mechs come with a bolt-on adaptor for frames
without a hanger. A good bike shop probably has them lying around.

Zog The Undeniable
June 3rd 04, 03:41 PM
Mark South wrote:

> This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues. Has
> anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?

Superglue works well on metal-metal, but unless it's a clean snap with
no pre-stretching, the surface area of the joint will be rather small
and the parts won't fit together well.

Rick Onanian
June 3rd 04, 05:29 PM
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:05:12 +0200, "Mark South"
> wrote:
>This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues. Has
>anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?

Good idea. JB Weld might work.

Can derailers with built-in hangers (like Shimano Touney) work with
QR axles, or must it be nutted?
--
Rick Onanian

Alex Rodriguez
June 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
In article >, says...

>I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog (a
>story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily, or
>should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
>add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on? Where
>would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop
says
>tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.

Depending on where it broke, you could fix it. I know I have seen a web
site where someone showed how they took grinder to the dropout and then
shaped it so that it would accpet one of the very common replacable dropouts.
Maybe someone else has a better memory.
--------------
Alex

Gary Young
June 3rd 04, 07:42 PM
"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message >...
> I broke my derailer hanger completely off today, in a collision with a dog (a
> story for another post). My frame is aluminum. Can it be repaired easily, or
> should I have it replaced? What's the best way to repair it? Is there an
> add-on derailer hangar that I can use, or must a new one be welded on? Where
> would I get either one? Quick turnaround is vital. I'll see what the shop says
> tomorrow, but input from you all could be helpful.
>
> Matt O.

I think Andrew Muzi does repairs like that:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/rlfix.html

Mark South
June 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
> Mark South wrote:
>
> > This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues. Has
> > anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?
>
> Superglue works well on metal-metal, but unless it's a clean snap with
> no pre-stretching, the surface area of the joint will be rather small
> and the parts won't fit together well.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant, can one cut off the torn edge and glue
on a replacement part that wraps the edges and sides of the broken dropout?
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Mark South
June 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
"Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:05:12 +0200, "Mark South"
> > wrote:
> >This seems like a good application for industrial-strength superglues. Has
> >anyone ever tried glue for a replacement mech hanger?
>
> Good idea. JB Weld might work.

Perhaps chamfer break, reiforce with a pair of thin sideplates and use JB Weld?

> Can derailers with built-in hangers (like Shimano Tourney) work with
> QR axles, or must it be nutted?

They can work with QRs but it can get iffy if the hanger moves when the wheel is
taken out.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

U.S. Blues
June 3rd 04, 10:28 PM
Zog The Undeniable > wrote in message news:<40bf392a.0@entanet>...
> Bruni wrote:
>
> > I have fashioned custom bolt-on hangers for such bikes (early Trek + Klien).
> > Check with frame builders in your area.
>
> I confess I hadn't thought of that, although they look clunky. Some of
> the lower-end Shimano mechs come with a bolt-on adaptor for frames
> without a hanger. A good bike shop probably has them lying around.

Apart from looking 'clunky', I ran into an unexpected problem using a
bolt-on index-compatible adapter claw for my old road frame. This
claw-thing has a flat nut that is supposed to butt up against the back
side of the dropout. Unfortunately, this nut, thin and flat though it
was, interfered with the small cog on my freewheel. I was lucky that
the dropout had a nice flat area behind the slot, where I was able to
drill and tap a hole and bolt the hanger directly to the frame. This
not only eliminated the nut, it also left open the full length of the
dropout.

A Muzi
June 4th 04, 04:02 AM

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> Depending on where it broke, you could fix it. I know I have seen a web
> site where someone showed how they took grinder to the dropout and then
> shaped it so that it would accpet one of the very common replacable dropouts.
> Maybe someone else has a better memory.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/rlfix.html

--
Andrew Muzi