PDA

View Full Version : Threadless stem 1-1/8" to 1" shim. Do these come in carbon?

kwalters
June 6th 04, 02:14 AM
I have an 1-1/8" aluminum stem, an 1-1/8" to 1" aluminum shim, and
a 1" titanium steertube, i.e., metal on metal on metal. About every
three
weeks or so, I have to regrease all surfaces, or I creak creak creak.
I've
used automobile wheelbearing grease, Finish Line white stuff, Phil Wood
green stuff, all to no avail. If this shim came in carbon, it might
solve my
problem. On the other hand, maybe someone can recommend a more durable
grease.

Thanks. Ken

jim beam
June 6th 04, 04:01 AM
how are you orienting the shim? does the pinch gap align with the pinch
gap in the stem? if not, make sure it does as this will allow proper
tightening. make sure you torque correctly.

similarly, make sure the stem is square by looking for "high spot" wear
on the spacers.

kwalters wrote:
> I have an 1-1/8" aluminum stem, an 1-1/8" to 1" aluminum shim, and
> a 1" titanium steertube, i.e., metal on metal on metal. About every
> three
> weeks or so, I have to regrease all surfaces, or I creak creak creak.
> I've
> used automobile wheelbearing grease, Finish Line white stuff, Phil Wood
> green stuff, all to no avail. If this shim came in carbon, it might
> solve my
> problem. On the other hand, maybe someone can recommend a more durable
> grease.
>
> Thanks. Ken

dianne_1234
June 6th 04, 01:56 PM
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:14:28 -0700, kwalters >
wrote:

>I have an 1-1/8" aluminum stem, an 1-1/8" to 1" aluminum shim, and
>a 1" titanium steertube, i.e., metal on metal on metal. About every
>three
>weeks or so, I have to regrease all surfaces, or I creak creak creak.
>I've
>used automobile wheelbearing grease, Finish Line white stuff, Phil Wood
>green stuff, all to no avail. If this shim came in carbon, it might
>solve my
>problem. On the other hand, maybe someone can recommend a more durable
>grease.
>
>Thanks. Ken

Tried anti-seize yet?

Or maybe you can make a plastic shim? (Just guessing here -- I've
never tried it myself. If you decide to do it check it carefully
before using it!)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home