PDA

View Full Version : strange noise

Paul Nevai
June 10th 04, 12:17 AM
I am talking about a kind of a crackling noise which is coming while I am
riding and mostly when the road surface is not smooth. It comes from
somewhere the front of the bike but no matter how hard I tried to localize it
for months and months, I can't pinpoint its origin.

NOTE. This noise comes only when I keep my hands on the STI shifter. In any
other position, the noise does not exist.

I had this noise from day #1 [I think]. The bike is 11 years old.

I tried to adjust the screws holding the shifter and the handlebar with no
avail.

Any ideas? May thanks, Paul

MikeYankee
June 10th 04, 01:09 AM
Noises can be hard to track down. This sounds like a creaking stem. Remove,
clean, regrease and reinstall the stem. If that doesn't work, clean and
lightly grease the handlebar where it clamps to the stem.

It may turn out to be something else, but those are the first places to start.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Doug Huffman
June 10th 04, 01:45 AM
On poor roads I often hear the fractured plates rattling

"Paul Nevai" > wrote in message
| I am talking about a kind of a crackling noise which is coming while I am
| riding and mostly when the road surface is not smooth. It comes from
| somewhere the front of the bike but no matter how hard I tried to localize
it
| for months and months, I can't pinpoint its origin.
|
| NOTE. This noise comes only when I keep my hands on the STI shifter. In
any
| other position, the noise does not exist.
|
| I had this noise from day #1 [I think]. The bike is 11 years old.
|
| I tried to adjust the screws holding the shifter and the handlebar with no
| avail.
|
| Any ideas? May thanks, Paul

dvt
June 10th 04, 01:46 PM
Paul Nevai wrote:
> I am talking about a kind of a crackling noise which is coming while I am
> riding and mostly when the road surface is not smooth. It comes from
> somewhere the front of the bike but no matter how hard I tried to localize it
> for months and months, I can't pinpoint its origin.
>
> NOTE. This noise comes only when I keep my hands on the STI shifter. In any
> other position, the noise does not exist.
>
> I had this noise from day #1 [I think]. The bike is 11 years old.
>
> I tried to adjust the screws holding the shifter and the handlebar with no
> avail.
>
> Any ideas?

It could be just about anything, but I'll add one suggestion to the mix.
I have a similar noise coming from the cables ferrule and the cable stop
on the frame. Wiggle the cable around while you're off the bike to see
if you can replicate the noise.

Once I found the noise, I didn't do anything about it. Maybe a drop of
oil would help. But now that I know the noise is nothing of great
concern, it doesn't bother me.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Paul Nevai
June 10th 04, 02:31 PM
dvt > aszonygya:
:Paul Nevai wrote:
:> I am talking about a kind of a crackling noise which is coming while I am
:> riding and mostly when the road surface is not smooth. It comes from
:> somewhere the front of the bike but no matter how hard I tried to localize it
:> for months and months, I can't pinpoint its origin.
:>
:
:It could be just about anything, but I'll add one suggestion to the mix.
:I have a similar noise coming from the cables ferrule and the cable stop
:on the frame. Wiggle the cable around while you're off the bike to see
:if you can replicate the noise.
:
:Once I found the noise, I didn't do anything about it. Maybe a drop of
:oil would help. But now that I know the noise is nothing of great
:concern, it doesn't bother me.

I tried the recommendation of the previous guy: lubricating the
handlebar/stem connection. We'll see. I am gonna go for a test ride as soon
as the rain stops.

Now I have another problem. I wanted to thank the previous guy for his advice
but he has a nospam e-mail. How can I thank him?

I truly appreciate all the advice you guys give me.

Best regards, Paul

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home