PDA

View Full Version : Gears slipping

ed
June 10th 04, 12:36 PM
While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
make any sense? I had the rear derail./chain and cluster replaced
about 500 miles ago. The only reason I didn't get the work done was
the LBS had a really horrible attitude.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
June 10th 04, 01:38 PM
edmund-<< While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
make any sense? >><BR><BR>

Did he ride the bike and see that the chain was 'skipping' on those cogs? If
so, yes it sounds like those are worn but 500 miles isw way too early.

Maybe der adjust or der hanger or tight link in the chain?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Harris
June 10th 04, 02:40 PM
ed > wrote:
> While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
> checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
> LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
> make any sense? I had the rear derail./chain and cluster replaced
> about 500 miles ago. The only reason I didn't get the work done was
> the LBS had a really horrible attitude.

Skipping usually occurs when a new chain is used with a worn cassette.
Since you only have 500 miles on both the chain and cassette, that can't
be your problem.

Are your "5th and 6th gears" the smallest cogs? You may just need a
derailleur adjustment. Or you may be the victim of "auto shifting."

See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#autoshift

Art Harris

Google