PDA

View Full Version : Road tire wear

Ed Swierk
June 12th 04, 09:27 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip K20
road tires. I'm surprised by how quickly they've worn, after only about a
year of moderate use (perhaps 1500-2000 miles). The entire surface has
developed cracks, some as large as a dent caused by a fingernail. The
rear tire flattened out noticeably before I swapped the two.

The tires that came with my bike (a circa-1999 Bianchi Eros) lasted for
several years before they became obviously worn.

Is this kind of wear normal? Are the tires sold with a bike normally more
durable than replacement tires? Can anyone recommend a better brand?

--Ed

--
Ed Swierk

DRS
June 12th 04, 09:43 PM
"Ed Swierk" > wrote in message
> As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip
> K20 road tires. I'm surprised by how quickly they've worn, after
> only about a year of moderate use (perhaps 1500-2000 miles). The

[...]

> Is this kind of wear normal? Are the tires sold with a bike normally
> more durable than replacement tires? Can anyone recommend a better
> brand?

Cheng Shin are superbly durable. They'll probably last longer than your
frame.

--

A: Top-posters.

Mike DeMicco
June 13th 04, 02:12 AM
Ed Swierk > wrote in

> As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip
> K20 road tires. I'm surprised by how quickly they've worn, after only
> about a year of moderate use (perhaps 1500-2000 miles). The entire
> surface has developed cracks, some as large as a dent caused by a
> fingernail. The rear tire flattened out noticeably before I swapped
> the two.

I hate to tell you this, but 1500-2000 miles is pretty darn good mileage,
especially for a rear tire. The most mileage I have ever gotten out of a
rear tire is 2000 mi. Also, cracks in the tread rubber are mostly
cosmetic. Unless the underlying cord is cut, I wouldn't worry. Are you
storing your bike/tires near a source of ozone (like an electric motor)
or in direct sun? Were the tires pretty old before you bought them (they
crack with age)?

--
Mike DeMicco >

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
June 13th 04, 04:48 AM
Irf you're tires are cracked, that has nothing to do with wear. It's a
degeneration of the rubber itself, probably from smog (ozone, primarily)
and UV (sunlight).

Still, 1500 miles is pretty god for a rear tire, especially a
"performance" type lightweight tire. I get about 4000 miles total on my
ProfilU's, which are a traning/touring tire, but I start them on the
front wheel, and transfer them to the rear when that old rear wears out.
So for a part of their life they don't get as much actual wear.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Katharine & Paul
June 13th 04, 05:14 AM
2000 miles?

I always used to get 6000km (approx. 3750 miles) from continental GP's or
supersport ultras. Problem was the contis were more expensive than most
others I have tried.

I've been getting 2500miles from Norcos tyres (which I bought for 1/4 of the
price of conti's - on clearance)

Paul

"Mike DeMicco" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Ed Swierk > wrote in
>
> > As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip
> > K20 road tires. I'm surprised by how quickly they've worn, after only
> > about a year of moderate use (perhaps 1500-2000 miles). The entire
> > surface has developed cracks, some as large as a dent caused by a
> > fingernail. The rear tire flattened out noticeably before I swapped
> > the two.
>
> I hate to tell you this, but 1500-2000 miles is pretty darn good mileage,
> especially for a rear tire. The most mileage I have ever gotten out of a
> rear tire is 2000 mi. Also, cracks in the tread rubber are mostly
> cosmetic. Unless the underlying cord is cut, I wouldn't worry. Are you
> storing your bike/tires near a source of ozone (like an electric motor)
> or in direct sun? Were the tires pretty old before you bought them (they
> crack with age)?
>
> --
> Mike DeMicco >

June 13th 04, 03:12 PM
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:43:28 +1000, "DRS"
> wrote:

>"Ed Swierk" > wrote in message
>> As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using a set of Avocet FasGrip
>> K20 road tires. I'm surprised by how quickly they've worn, after
>> only about a year of moderate use (perhaps 1500-2000 miles). The
>
>[...]
>
>> Is this kind of wear normal? Are the tires sold with a bike normally
>> more durable than replacement tires? Can anyone recommend a better
>> brand?
>
>Cheng Shin are superbly durable. They'll probably last longer than your
>frame.

I have a Cheng Shin tire on my front wheel that has lasted over 5
years rolling up 5 figure mileage. The maximum pressure recommended
was 90 Lbs but I have been routinely running over 100. Lots of glass
cuts, hard knocks and probably dry rot over the years finally broke
the casing. This morning a nasty bulge developed, I was lucky the
casing failed gracefully. The Cheng Shins on the rear seem to last
about 3000 miles maybe more if I run them down to slicks. Cheng Shin
has my vote as the most miles to the penny tire.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home