PDA

View Full Version : SHaKH NAS

paco
July 11th 03, 06:53 PM
(For some reason, my last thread didn't show up, so here it is again.
My apologies if this is redundant. My apologies if this is
redundant.)
After 3 months, I finally have finished my 'unicycle!'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albup31)
As some may recall, I won the grand prize (mostly for luck, not skill)
at the Moab MUniFest; a custom-built 'stainless steel Steve Howard
frame' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albun90). It made me so excited to
build my own MUni (I have been riding a POSchwinn for everything from
freestyle to MUni), but being a poor college student, I lacked the
funds. Until recently...
It ended up being much cheaper than I was fearing. First, I got the
frame and hub for free. Then, as a graduation present, one of my friends
gave me the KH seat. Because of that, I felt I could splurge on the
black spokes.
I named my MUni the SHAKH NAS (Steve Howard and Kris Holm, Not A
Schwinn) after the frame's creator and the design he copied, and it's
definitely not a Schwinn!
Anyways, I should probably stop talking and show you a picture instead.
Here's a picture.

| Attachment filename: my muni.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/152953|

paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

rhysling
July 11th 03, 07:07 PM
Sweet! I'm going to make my cycle tape a picture of the SHaKH Nas over
it when I ride.

-C

--
rhysling - Pontificating Vigilantly

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to
passover me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the
inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be
nothing. Only I will remain." -- The Bene Gesserit Litany of Fear

"Huh... I Wonder who this -Bene Gesserit- guy is, anyway? Sounds
Yidish...." -Me, steeling the quote from Lewis's signature
rhysling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/411

UniBrier
July 11th 03, 08:21 PM
Very nice.

paco wrote:
> *(For some reason, my last thread didn't show up, so here it is again.
> My apologies if this is redundant. My apologies if this is
> redundant.)*
It showed up in Unicycle Product Reviews. Apology accepted Apology
accepted.:)

Have a great time with it.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.

Ha! there is a price to everything. It is a very economical universe. -
Uniwitold
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

daino149
July 11th 03, 08:34 PM
Looking good.
Do you know what the weight of the frame is? Specifically I’d like to
know what it is compared to the KH frame.

Daniel

--
daino149 - In need of improvement

I want a fainting Goat!

chirokid
July 11th 03, 10:14 PM
Very ugly and I am amazed you would even consider riding it Paco.

Box it up and send it to me in Tennessee. I will see that it is
destroyed. Take this as a lesson, "Try harder building your next
unicycle, and maybe you will not have to send it to me for scrap."
--chirokid-- PS: Just to help you bear the hurt, I will pay the
shipping! :D

--
chirokid
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

chirokid
July 11th 03, 10:58 PM
Whoops, I forgot to add, I love the name.

Maybe one day I'll be cleaver like that. --chirokid--

--
chirokid
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

paco
July 12th 03, 07:56 AM
daino149 wrote:
> *Looking good.
> Do you know what the weight of the frame is? Specifically I’d like to
> know what it is compared to the KH frame.
>
> Daniel *

Unfortunately, I haven't had too many KH frames around to compare it to.
Steve Howard might know, since he made it. All I know is that it's
much lighter than I keep expecting it to be (compared to my piece of
Schwinn, that is).

Oh, and Chikroid, I would send it to you, but I don't have your address.
I guess I'll just ride it for a while, take it up into the mountains
and see if I can't get it covered in dirt so no one will see how ugly it
is.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

tomblackwood
July 12th 03, 08:09 AM
paco wrote:
> *I named my MUni the SHAKH NAS (Steve Howard and Kris Holm, Not A
> Schwinn) after the frame's creator and the design he copied, and it's
> definitely not a Schwinn! *

So is that pronounced "Shockness"? I hope so... Toss a 3" Gazz on it,
and it will be the Shock-ness Monster.

Nice ride Paco. After watching (and timing) you cranking your way up the
"Short Course Uphill" challenge in Moab on that POS, it was great to see
you win the frame and know that there would be much great playing in
your future once you upgraded your instrument.

Hope I see you at a festival soon so I can bum a ride on it....

--
tomblackwood - Under-prepared Dork (UPD)

My other brake is my face!

paco
July 12th 03, 08:29 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> Hope I see you at a festival soon so I can bum a ride on it.... *

I really shouldn't do this (at least, not if I don't have more money by
then), but because I got my new MUni, I'm seriously considering going
down to the California Muni Weekend in October. If I don't end up
there, I definitely will be back at Moab next Spring!

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

tomblackwood
July 12th 03, 08:52 AM
paco wrote:
> *I really shouldn't do this (at least, not if I don't have more money
> by then), but because I got my new MUni, I'm seriously considering
> going down to the California Muni Weekend in October.*

Admittedly I've been out of the game for a while, but isn't that what
student loans are for? Get thee to California! I know it's tougher for
you kids today....in my day the Reagan Cheese was flowing abundantly,
and between cheese sandwiches for breakfast and lunch and "liberated"
7-11 burritos for dinner, life was good. Oh, and we got to unicycle to
school....downhill, both ways.

--
tomblackwood - Under-prepared Dork (UPD)

My other brake is my face!

chirokid
July 12th 03, 04:44 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> So is that pronounced "Shockness"? I hope so... Toss a 3" Gazz on it,
> and it will be the Shock-ness Monster.
> *

I wish I had a "Shock-ness Monster" --chirokid--

--
chirokid
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

tron
July 12th 03, 11:35 PM
I do know that it's a stainless steel frame, and probably weighs in at
slightly more than my Semcycle XL Wide frame... it's not the lightest
you can come by, but not bad, really. The coolness factor easily
outweighs the weight. If that makes any sense whatsoever. It's also
custom... you can't buy this frame. Only win it in a competition. Or,
I guess you could have won it, but you're too late. :)

--
tron - -= J. Alan Atherton =-

- J. Alan Atherton
Just my 10 bytes.
tron's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/405

paco
July 13th 03, 04:43 AM
tron wrote:
> *... you can't buy this frame. Only win it in a competition. :) *

Come one now, it wasn't a competition; it was a game, remember? All I
know is that Steve Howard donated the coolest prize of them all, and I
couldn't have been luckier to be the first one to pick something. And
thanks to Tomblackwood for being the timer on the uphill race. Did you
get that $50 I put into your paypal account for fixing the competition--
er... game? I couldn't have done it without you.
:D

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

tomblackwood
July 13th 03, 06:19 AM
paco wrote:
> *And thanks to Tomblackwood for being the timer on the uphill race.
> Did you get that $50 I put into your paypal account for fixing the
> competition-- er... game?:D *

Sshhhh.....the walls have ears.

--
tomblackwood - Under-prepared Dork (UPD)

My other brake is my face!

showard
July 13th 03, 07:09 AM
Paco - It's great to see that MUni finally put together. It's cool that
you built your own wheel too.

Paco won the frame at the "awards" dinner at a chuck wagon type
resturant just outside Moab. The dinner routine was that everyone went
to a small outbuilding to buy tickets for the dinner in the main
building. There was a long line of people waiting to get their tickets
and while my wife and I were standing in line, me holding the stainless
frame, Kris Holm came by after buying his dinner ticket.

He noticed the frame, did a double take and said "What have you got
there?". The first thing I thought was "BUSTED!! Here I am holding a
bootleg KH frame and here's KH himself!". I said "Well ... (long pause)
... this is a stainless steel KH copy I made". He took it and gave it a
good looking over. I said something like "It's a rip-off of your frame.
I would never actually try to sell it - I'm donating it as a prize".
He was super gracious. He's the nicest guy ...

Paco, by chance, was the first winning "gamer" to pick a something from
the prize table. Of all the things that he could have picked he grabbed
the stainless frame to the applause of the whole room!

Steve Howard

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452