PDA

View Full Version : Tyre recommendation

Mike P[_10_]
May 19th 10, 07:27 PM
Need some tyres for the old bike until it gets replaced. Split a rim
last night, so I'm back to my old rims

The contis on them at the moment have 28x13/8x15/8 on them.

I want some fast road tyres...

Help!

Mike P

Rob Morley
May 20th 10, 03:19 AM
On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
Mike P > wrote:

> Need some tyres for the old bike until it gets replaced. Split a rim
> last night, so I'm back to my old rims
>
> The contis on them at the moment have 28x13/8x15/8 on them.

Chunky hybrid tyres?

> I want some fast road tyres...

Without knowing the width of your rims, how fast is fast, what sort of
roads they are, how much you want to spend ...
Michelin World Tour 700 x 35, £5.99 ea. inc. P&P at Chain Reaction
(while stocks last, I would imagine - I think they stopped making these
years ago). I used to use them in 27 x 1 1/4 on my hack bike for
commuting and club runs, and always thought they were rather excellent
for cheap tyres.

Mike P[_10_]
May 20th 10, 10:52 AM
On 20 May, 03:19, Rob Morley > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Mike P > wrote:
> > Need some tyres for the old bike until it gets replaced. Split a rim
> > last night, so I'm back to my old rims
>
> > The contis on them at the moment have 28x13/8x15/8 on them.
>
> Chunky hybrid tyres?
>
> > I want some fast road tyres...
>
> Without knowing the width of your rims, how fast is fast, what sort of
> roads they are, how much you want to spend ...
> Michelin World Tour 700 x 35, £5.99 ea. inc. P&P at Chain Reaction
> (while stocks last, I would imagine - I think they stopped making these
> years ago). *I used to use them in 27 x 1 1/4 on my hack bike for
> commuting and club runs, and always thought they were rather excellent
> for cheap tyres.

I'm doing 10-15 miles a night at an average speed of 19mph according
to the computer. The rims appear to be 5/8 inch..

The roads are "normal" roads around Berkshire, but they are so manky
and rough, that I've damaged rims on them. One particular road, "The
Straight Mile" near Twyford is so badly surfaced it physically hurts
to go faster than 15mph on it because of the undulations, though to
look at it you'd think it was well surfaced.

Thanks

Mike P

Rob Morley
May 20th 10, 11:47 AM
On Thu, 20 May 2010 02:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
Mike P > wrote:

> I'm doing 10-15 miles a night at an average speed of 19mph according
> to the computer. The rims appear to be 5/8 inch..

That's just a nominal size, you need to measure the rim's width across
the inside of the flanges, in millimetres, to determine the widths of
tyre it will take.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#isoetrto
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Google