PDA

View Full Version : Landis revelations : Lelangue to cooperate...

Keith
May 26th 10, 11:11 AM
....http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangue-pledges-to-cooperate-with-investigation?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news_headlines

He's going to cooperate to help prove Landis is lying...odd choice of
terms, why does he need to "cooperate" if it's a lie...guess there's
something to the accusations after all.

B. Lafferty[_3_]
May 26th 10, 01:46 PM
On 5/26/2010 6:11 AM, Keith wrote:
> ...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangue-pledges-to-cooperate-with-investigation?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news_headlines
>
> He's going to cooperate to help prove Landis is lying...odd choice of
> terms, why does he need to "cooperate" if it's a lie...guess there's
> something to the accusations after all.

See also
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/sports/cycling/26cycling.html?ref=global

It's not a good thing to have the US Attorney in the NDCA investigating
you. Just ask Susan Polgar's former webmaster Gregory Alexander. It
was an interesting moment when the Secret Service arrived at lunch time
on the second day of court ordered mediation in our litigation with
Polgar and Alexander and took him away in handcuffs.

RicodJour
May 26th 10, 02:15 PM
On May 26, 6:11*am, Keith > wrote:
> ...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangue-pledges-to-cooperate-with-in....
>
> He's going to cooperate to help prove Landis is lying...odd choice of
> terms, why does he need to "cooperate" if it's a lie...guess there's
> something to the accusations after all.

Even odder is your inability to rea. The first sentence from the
linked article:
"John Lelangue will co-operate with the French Cycling Federation’s
(FFC) investigation into Floyd Landis’ accusations against him, the
BMC Racing Team director said in a statement."

I find it laughable that your ****-colored glasses make you see bogey
men everywhere.

B. Lafferty[_3_]
May 26th 10, 02:23 PM
On 5/26/2010 8:46 AM, B. Lafferty wrote:
> On 5/26/2010 6:11 AM, Keith wrote:
>> ...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lelangue-pledges-to-cooperate-with-investigation?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news_headlines
>>

>> He's going to cooperate to help prove Landis is lying...odd choice of
>> terms, why does he need to "cooperate" if it's a lie...guess there's
>> something to the accusations after all.
>>
> See also
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/sports/cycling/26cycling.html?ref=global
>
> It's not a good thing to have the US Attorney in the NDCA investigating
> you. Just ask Susan Polgar's former webmaster Gregory Alexander. It was
> an interesting moment when the Secret Service arrived at lunch time on
> the second day of court ordered mediation in our litigation with Polgar
> and Alexander and took him away in handcuffs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/sports/cycling/26cycling.html?ref=global
Federal authorities investigating allegations that Lance Armstrong and
other top cyclists engaged in doping are considering whether they can
expand the investigation beyond traditional drug distribution charges to
include ones involving fraud and conspiracy, according to two people
briefed on the investigation.

The authorities, who are in the early stages of their investigation, are
seeking to determine whether Armstrong, the owners and managers of his
former cycling teams and his teammates conspired to defraud their
sponsors by doping to improve their performances and garner more money
and prizes, one of the people said.

In particular, the authorities want to know whether money from the
United States Postal Service, the main sponsor of Armstrong’s team from
1996 to 2004, was used to buy performance-enhancing drugs, one of the
people said. Fraud charges can carry longer sentences than charges of
drug distribution.

The two people briefed on the investigation spoke on the condition of
anonymity because they did not want to jeopardize their access to
delicate information. Armstrong, through his manager, Mark Higgins, did
not immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment. Armstrong
has repeatedly denied any allegations about doping.

The authorities will also closely examine the contract between Armstrong
and S.C.A. Promotions, a company that refused to pay a $5 million bonus
in 2004 after a book that alleged Armstrong engaged in doping, one of
the people said. Armstrong sued S.C.A. Promotions, and the case — which
resulted in hours of testimony by Armstrong and others under oath — was
later settled out of court. S.C.A. was forced to pay $5 million and
about $2.5 million in penalties.

“Federal fraud charges are fairly straightforward; they apply to any
scheme to acquire money or property through deceit or
misrepresentation,” said Daniel C. Richman, a professor of law at
Columbia University and former federal prosecutor. “In this case, the
authorities would have to prove that Armstrong was misrepresenting
himself to sponsors by saying that he was clean but was actually using
performance-enhancing drugs and profiting from it.”

As federal authorities have taken a greater interest in the distribution
of performance-enhancing drugs over the past decade, athletes have not
been the target of investigations. Instead, the athletes have been
questioned by federal authorities before grand juries and their
testimony has been used to bring charges against trainers and doctors
who dealt the drugs.

If the authorities proceed with a more ambitious investigation that
looks into fraud and conspiracy charges, they could take aim at
Armstrong, who had an ownership stake in Tailwind Sports, the company
that owned several of his past cycling teams, and the other cyclists,
said the two people briefed on the matter.

The federal agent Jeff Novitzky, who has been the lead investigator on
the major doping investigations since the Bay Area Laboratory
Co-operative case began in 2002, is playing a direct role in the
investigation. Novitzky has met with Floyd Landis, who lives in Southern
California, and has been working closely with officials from the United
States Anti-Doping Agency.

Prosecutors from the United States attorney’s office for the Northern
District of California, which is based in the Bay Area, have worked
closely with Novitzky, and would have jurisdiction to investigate the
case because Tailwind Sports was based in San Francisco. The investor
Thom Weisel, of the investment banking firm Thomas Weisel Partners
Group, was the founder and chairman of Tailwind Sports. Armstrong
eventually became a co-owner.

Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner, has been dogged by
doping allegations throughout his career and continues to deny them. He
tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs once, for cortisone at
the 1999 Tour, but later produced a doctor’s note saying the drug was
needed to combat his saddle sores.

But unlike the other investigations, this one involves federal
authorities from the United States. They have become more interested in
Armstrong’s alleged ties to doping since Landis accused Armstrong — his
teammate on the Postal Service team — and other top cyclists of doping.

“It’s just our word against theirs, and we like our word,” Armstrong
said last week at the Tour of California, during which Landis’s e-mail
messages were made public. “We like where we stand.”

In the past, Armstrong has threatened to sue people who have questioned
his integrity in the sport. He said last Thursday that he had no plans
to do so this time.

“I have sued a few people in my day and, you know, been successful there
and proved my innocence through that, and I don’t need to do that
anymore,” he said.

In e-mail messages Landis recently sent to top cycling officials, Landis
said he and Armstrong shared conversations about the need for blood
doping. He also said that he had witnessed Armstrong and some other
Postal Service team members, including the United States road cycling
champion George Hincapie, receiving blood transfusions on a team bus
during one Tour de France.

Landis, who for four years said he was innocent of the doping charges
leveled against him, has agreed to cooperate with federal authorities
and officials from Usada in a doping investigation. The investigators
from Usada are trying to determine whether they can discipline Armstrong
or the other riders for their ties to performance-enhancing drugs.

Richman added: “The government normally leaves it up to sports leagues
to discipline those athletes who may have used performance-enhancing
drugs. Fraud is something the government takes quite seriously,
particularly where a lot of money is involved and conduct is flagrant.”

raamman
May 26th 10, 05:38 PM
On May 26, 9:23*am, "B. Lafferty" > wrote:
> [...]
> Postal Service team members, including the United States road cycling
> champion George Hincapie, receiving blood transfusions on a team bus
> during one Tour de France.
>
> Landis, who for four years said he was innocent of the doping charges
> leveled against him, has agreed to cooperate with federal authorities
> and officials from Usada in a doping investigation. The investigators
> from Usada are trying to determine whether they can discipline Armstrong
> or the other riders for their ties to performance-enhancing drugs.
>
> Richman added: “The government normally leaves it up to sports leagues
> to discipline those athletes who may have used performance-enhancing
> drugs. Fraud is something the government takes quite seriously,
> particularly where a lot of money is involved and conduct is flagrant.”- Hide quoted text -

could be a number of bitter caught dopers pointing fingers saying "but
they did it too !"- one thing the dopers have poroven is that they
cannot be trusted.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home