PDA

View Full Version : Re: Unicyclist Ben Linder, a brief biography.

Bostonmess
July 15th 03, 05:26 PM
Hi, I just thought I'd register to say I feel a bit overwhelmed by the
story of Ben Linder.

I was looking for info on the Sandinistas and came across some stuff
about jugglers, thinking WTF is this to do with anything, but being a
juggler myself, I read on.

All I can say is I feel inspired, to do what I don't know. I haven't
really juggled for ages, but I'm seriously thinking of getting my clubs
out and going into the park, sod what people think.

The funny thing is that his life has so much of a point to it, but I bet
you anything, outside of a few circles his story is unknown. Why would
that be so?

--
Bostonmess
Bostonmess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4187

JJuggle
July 15th 03, 07:40 PM
Bostonmess wrote:
> *overwhelmed by he story of Ben Linder.
>
> The funny thing is that his life has so much of a point to it, but I
> bet you anything, outside of a few circles his story is unknown. Why
> would that be so? *
Here is a quote from a book called, _The_Strategy_of_Desire_ by Ernest
Richter of something called the Institute for Motivational Research (an
advertising think tank). It was written in 1960.

-"We are now confronted with the problem of permitting the average
American to feel moral even as he flirts, even when he spends, or when
he buys a second or third car. One of the fundamental problems of
prosperity is to sanction and to justify its enjoyment, to convince
people that making their life enjoyable is moral, and not immoral. One
of the fundamental tasks of all advertising, and of every project
destined to promote sales, should be to permit the consumer freely to
enjoy life and confirm his right to surround himself with products that
enrich his existence and make him happy."-

What is essentially true of the life of Ben Linder and Rachel Corrie is
that they demonstrate that an "enjoyable" and "enriched" life need not
be primarily focused on the need to "surround" oneself "with products".
Easier said than done, I know (*I know*), but there, in my opinion, it
is. Without meaning to overly romanticize violent and untimely deaths, I
do believe that they died having experienced more inner peace and
satisfaction than I'm ever likely to know.

Why don't more people know about them? I would venture to say that their
stories promote the idea that communities can be built around the values
of self-sufficiency, peace and perhaps even equality. This is not a
concept of which global capital approves and works hard to squash. Their
stories are out there. But since most of us get our news and information
from sources controlled by big business whose interests are not served
by widely publicizing these stories, then it follows to reason that they
wont be.

Raphael (who should know better than to make posts like this, but does
so anyway) Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Hey punk where you going with those beads around your neck?
Well, I'm going to see my shrink so he can help me be a nervous wreck.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

jason
July 15th 03, 08:18 PM
Your story is very well written and very sad, yet inspirational. I will
definetely take the time to learn more about your friend, Ben. Thank you
for sharing.

-Jason

--
jason - Just some guy
jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

paco
July 15th 03, 08:40 PM
For those who believe in an afterlife, Ben Linder will be rewarded for
the way he lived his life here! Regardless of his religious, political,
or any other beliefs, he was a very moral person and did what he could
with what he was given.
How many of us could make the same claim?

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

doctor
July 16th 03, 03:53 PM
Thank you for the great post.

Great unicycle history,
Great man,
Great friend.

There are 2 kind of people. Who ride unicycle or Who do not.
Ben Linder was the one who ride unicycle. So do we.
For me, it is a great honor to be a same kind.

doctor - wild doc at wilduni.com

'eDoctor.net' (http://www.edoctor.net)
and
'wilduni.com' (http://www.wilduni.com)

doctor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1477

November 19th 03, 09:33 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread for two reasons. First, he was a great guy
that did a LOT for not only his community but communities farther away.
Second, I think you guys would be fascinated by something that has recently
changed here at the University of Oregon.

To give you some background, (and help emphasize the absurdity of recent
events here) the Ben Linder Forum (in our student union) has long been a
popular meeting room for many student-related activities. It's a spacious
room but acoustically well-designed so that you don't have to raise your
voice to be heard. You can easily fit probably 200-250 people comfortably.
Outside of the room is a display case filled with many news articles about
Ben, some of his old juggling equipment and pictures galore. Only a few
yards away on the stairs leading up to the next level is a HUGE (at a
guess, I'd say 7'x4') chalk drawing of Ben dressed as a clown while
juggling that was done by an artist from one of the communities that Ben
visited.

While I've never previously had any problems on campus with my unicycle,
our oft-decried Dept. of Public Safety has decided to start making issues
about it. Namely, they're trying to keep me from taking it into various
buildings, the first of which is our student union! In fact, the first time
that it ever became an issue was when I was at a meeting INSIDE the Ben
Linder room itself!

I am now involved in some legal battles here on campus (with the aid of our
student advocacy office) over my unicycle. In short, they're claiming I
can't bring a bike inside and I'm saying that if it's a bike it needs to be
accommodated by the racks. (I have a simple addition that could easily be
installed to allow a unicycle to be locked through the tire AND tightly sit
around the fork on all three sides.)

I think it's a shame that the UO is failing to realize that the very person
that they've honored so highly wouldn't even be able to appreciate his own
tribute with one of the things he's most remembered for in his hand.

Sorry for the length of the letter. I've kept it short-ish but wanted to
let you guys know what's happened.

Mike Peterson
Eugene, OR
Come visit Mike's Home for Wayward MiB agents at:
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~mpeters1

hopeful
November 22nd 03, 07:10 AM
Wow, what a wonderful unicyclist. If only we all could be fortunate
enough to meet even just ONE person like Ben Linder, and realize it
while they are still alive.

Mike, there have been several posts on this forum regarding unicycles
and law enforcement, try using some of them as refrences and also the
specific Oregon general statue that deals with the defenition of a
bicycle.

(i know that a standard unicycle and a standard giraffe are not
considered 'bicycles' in North Carolina, but under the general statue, a
semcycle 2 wheel or 3 wheel giraffe would be)

best of luck with your legal battles

hopeful (who has been kicked out of 6 open-air private plazas in
charlotte so far, and is trying to find more...)

--
hopeful - Street Performer

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Klaas Bil
November 22nd 03, 09:33 AM
Mike Peterson wrote:

>In short, they're claiming I
>can't bring a bike inside

Do you RIDE the uni inside, or are you just bringing it inside without
riding it? If you would ride it, I could see the safety hazard,
especially through the eyes of a Safety Dept. But if you just carry
it, or half-carry it while the wheel rolls, I wonder what the safety
hazard is, and hence why a Safety Dept has a right to even say
anything about it. And, of course, if there would be a rule against
bringing bikes inside without mentioning unicycles, that rule is
clearly not forbidding what you (want to) do. So, good luck with the
issue!

BTW, are you mailing from the e-mail list at unicycling.org? It seems
that lately there is something wrong in relaying the name of the
sender (at least to the newsgroup). May have to do with the
anti-spamming measures that Ken Fuchs has taken. I also notice that
your post seems to have taken three days (!) to end up here. Please
respond (here or via private e-mail).

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder"

JJuggle
June 9th 04, 10:28 PM
Francisco Alvarez, a noted juggler and author of the book "Juggling,
It's History and Greatest Performers" died a week or so ago. He wrote
the letter below in 1987 to a "JW" (I don't know who that is). Someone
posted it on rec.juggling and I pilfer it for use here.

It is oddly timely given his own death and that of Ronald Reagan so
close together.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ
More on Nicaragua

Thanks for the "Juggling for the Sandinistas" article in the Fall issue.

It's time the American people learned the truth about Nicaragua.
Although I'm active in the Albuquerque peace movement, it was through
your article that I learned of Benjamin Linder's juggling talents.

I was juggling for the orphans in Managua before Linder was born, and
long before the revolution. But there is no comparison. What Linder did,

and what others who follow in his footsteps are doing in today's
reconstruction period in Nicaragua, requires a rare sense of dedication

and great courage.

God bless the jugglers and others who are trying to bring peace and
happiness instead of death and destruction to the country of my birth.

Francisco Alvarez
Albuquerque, N.M.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

I'm cold, wet, sore, my crotch hurts and I have gas...but I'm great. -
rider comment during the 6th LBI Unithon
[...]

UniBrier
May 23rd 06, 04:12 PM
Although I occasionally re-read this thread, I hadn't thought of
resurecting it for some time. After JJuggle's listing of Ben as a
Unicycle Idol I did a bit of Googling as I knew it was getting close to
20 years but that will be next Spring.

On Wiki I found out that Sting dedicated his song "Fragile" to the
memory of Ben and I though that was worth mentioning and adding to the
thread.

http://www.learningfromlyrics.org/Fragile.html

> *'Fragile' (http://tinyurl.com/fucvu)* Dedicated to the memory of
> engineer Ben Linder, killed by the Contras in central America, this one
> has gotten a recent revival from the awful events of September 11th.
> It's one of the best things that Sting has ever written.

So, if you haven't seen this tread before, enjoy a good read.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Eddbmxdude
May 23rd 06, 04:58 PM
Wow! Just read the thread from beginning to end. Very touching to say
the least. I was just over a month old when he died. He sounds like one
hell of a unicyclist!

Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

"May you tread lightly through the dark time of the day and may your
nose stay chunk-free." - Mrboogiejuice

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

mikepenton
April 20th 08, 11:36 AM
UniBrier wrote:
> This will probably be the last time I resurrect this thread.

Well Steve, let me resurrect it for you (a few days early, but never
mind).

After reading this thread I bought the book The Death of Ben Linder
from 'Amazon' (http://tinyurl.com/6lesk7) and it was riveting. I learnt
a lot about a fascinating person, country and situation. The joy he
gave so many people and the drive he had is so inspiring.

In 20 years time, I hope this thread will have been bumped at least
another 20 times. If just one more person reads his story then it's
worth it.

Mike

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)

napalm
April 20th 08, 01:38 PM
Thankyou for remembering this inspirational man and his story, and
bringing it to the next crop of unicyclists.
mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff

lunicycle
April 20th 08, 02:38 PM
Inspirational, thank you.

Would it be possible to repair the gallery of Ben's images at
http://tinyurl.com/yugs7a so the links to the larger images work?

--
lunicycle

lpounds
April 20th 08, 11:54 PM
Thank you so much for resurrecting this. I hope you do so every year.

--
lpounds

'Levi'
(http://www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/student/intro.cfm?txtEmail=lpounds)