PDA

View Full Version : Chainsets/cassettes explained !

June 14th 10, 11:32 AM
Can anybody explain this to me.
Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at home
but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on a triple.
So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the internet
Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even 11-34 !,
Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??

Thanks

Peter Clinch
June 14th 10, 11:49 AM
wrote:
> Can anybody explain this to me.
> Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at home
> but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on a triple.
> So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the internet
> Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even 11-34 !,
> Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??

The question on the last line would depend on what the triple is you're
trying to be equivalent to...

Also realise that road bike sets use Mucho Gears by quantity to ensure
you have small steps to optimise your pedalling, so while you might have
equivalent /range/ to a triple, if you put an 11-34 you'll have much
more obvious jumps between sprockets. While you're winching yourself up
an Alp in the granny and wishing you had a great-granny this is a moot
point, but on flatter going you might miss the fine tuning a bit.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tom Anderson
June 14th 10, 12:48 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, wrote:

> Can anybody explain this to me. Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8
> speed rear 26/12. Ok at home but off to the Alps this summer. last year
> copied alright on a triple. So best option might be to change rear
> cassette.

Why do that rather than get a triple? Cost?

> On the internet Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even
> 11-34 !, Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??

Should work. Make sure your rear mech has enough 'capacity' - work out, in
tooth counts:

(largest ring + largest sprocket) - (smallest ring + smallest sprocket)

And then compare to the capacity number for your mech. If it's a road-type
short-arm mech, it might not be able to cope with the range of chain
lengths you'll get with a MTB-type cassette. But then, if it coped with a
front triple and a road cassette at the rear, maybe it will.

tom

--
There are about 62 Lego bricks per person of the Earth's population.

Tom Anderson
June 14th 10, 12:49 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Peter Clinch wrote:

> wrote:
>> Can anybody explain this to me.
>> Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at home
>> but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on a triple.
>> So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the internet
>> Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even 11-34 !,
>> Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??
>
> The question on the last line would depend on what the triple is you're
> trying to be equivalent to...
>
> Also realise that road bike sets use Mucho Gears by quantity to ensure
> you have small steps to optimise your pedalling, so while you might have
> equivalent /range/ to a triple, if you put an 11-34 you'll have much
> more obvious jumps between sprockets. While you're winching yourself up
> an Alp in the granny and wishing you had a great-granny this is a moot
> point, but on flatter going you might miss the fine tuning a bit.

Perhaps he could he get a 9-speed wide-range cassette to replace his
8-speed narrow-range, and offset that a bit? I don't know where that adds
resolution relative to the 8-speed, ie whether it has more closely-spaced
at the high or low ends, or throughout.

Of course, this depends on the mech being able to do nine speeds, and more
than likely means a new chain. So probably a non-starter.

tom

--
There are about 62 Lego bricks per person of the Earth's population.

Rob Morley
June 14th 10, 01:11 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
"
> wrote:

> Can anybody explain this to me.
> Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at home
> but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on a triple.
> So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the internet
> Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even 11-34 !,
> Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??

What was the tooth count on the triple and the cassette you were using?

June 14th 10, 02:19 PM
On Jun 14, 1:11*pm, Rob Morley > wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
> "
>
> > wrote:
> > Can anybody explain this to me.
> > Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at home
> > but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on a triple.
> > So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the internet
> > Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even 11-34 !,
> > Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??
>
> What was the tooth count on the triple and the cassette you were using?

Crank Bontrager Select 52/42/30
Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25, 9 speed

Rob Morley
June 14th 10, 03:25 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 06:19:43 -0700 (PDT)
"
> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 1:11*pm, Rob Morley > wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
> > "
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Can anybody explain this to me.
> > > Currently have FSA Compct 50/34, with 8 speed rear 26/12. Ok at
> > > home but off to the Alps this summer. last year copied alright on
> > > a triple. So best option might be to change rear cassette. On the
> > > internet Shimano HG 50 8 speed, seem to sgo 11-32, 11-30, or even
> > > 11-34 !, Which would give me the equivalent of the triple ??
> >
> > What was the tooth count on the triple and the cassette you were
> > using?
>

> Crank Bontrager Select 52/42/30
> Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25, 9 speed

34/30 x 25 = 28

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1189

Tom Anderson
June 14th 10, 06:30 PM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Rob Morley wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 06:19:43 -0700 (PDT)
> "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jun 14, 1:11*pm, Rob Morley > wrote:
>>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 03:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
>>> "

>>> What was the tooth count on the triple and the cassette you were
>>> using?
>>
>> Crank Bontrager Select 52/42/30
>> Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25, 9 speed
>
> 34/30 x 25 = 28
>
> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1189

Worth saying that 50/52 x 12 = 11.5, and that cassette goes down to 11.

Also, the SRAM alternative at that price point:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5212

Available in 11-28.

tom

--
Hier gaan over het tij, de wind, de maan en wij.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home