PDA

View Full Version : Bloodbath and a Cleansing

B. Lafferty[_3_]
June 16th 10, 08:29 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lemond-calls-for-widespread-reforms

And really, is Armstrong a vindictive person? ;-)

Brad Anders
June 16th 10, 08:45 PM
On Jun 16, 12:29*pm, "B. Lafferty" > wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lemond-calls-for-widespread-reforms
>
> And really, is Armstrong a vindictive person? *;-)

IMO, LemonD is living in a dream world where he believes that such a
"cleansing" would result in cycling becoming a "clean sport". Nothing
could be further from the truth. Undetectable methods that result in
significant performance advantages have existed in the past, exist
today, and there is every indication they will exist in the future,
and will likely become more effective. Athletes have shown time and
again that when confronted with this reality, many will choose to use
such methods, and will rationalize their use regardless of any moral
or legal pressures exerted. It's also likely that such a "cleansing"
will increase the flight of sponsors from pro cycling, and that those
athletes that remain will likely still include a significant fraction
that will continue to successfully use doping methods without
detection.

Brad Anders

Fred on a stick
June 16th 10, 09:10 PM
Brad Anders wrote:

> IMO, LemonD is living in a dream world where he believes that such a
> "cleansing" would result in cycling becoming a "clean sport".

Dumbass,

He's living in a dream world where he holds the record for the greatest
number of TdF wins.

Brad Anders
June 16th 10, 11:24 PM
On Jun 16, 1:10*pm, "Fred on a stick"
> wrote:
> Brad Anders wrote:
>
> > IMO, LemonD is living in a dream world where he believes that such a
> > "cleansing" would result in cycling becoming a "clean sport".
>
> Dumbass,
>
> He's living in a dream world where he holds the record for the greatest
> number of TdF wins.

I raced as a kid back in the early '70's, at a time when even the idea
that a US cyclist could be successful at all in Europe as a pro was
considered to be ridiculous. Guys we had who were amazing US riders
like John Howard, Allis, Hiltner, etc. all had only the most limited
success. In the late '70's a new breed of riders like Lemond, Boyer,
and Mount emerged, who began to make an impression on the scene, and
in Lemond's case, rose to the top.

Lemond comes from my era, and I wonder if that's part of what drives
his mentality. I suspect that he thought that his 3 TdF wins would
never be equaled by another US cyclist for another 25 years. When
Armstrong came along and not only won the TdF, but blew away all the
TdF records by winning 7 straight, that must have been a bitter pill
to swallow. Add in that after winning 3 TdF's, the only thing Lemond
seemed to get was a Taco Bell commercial, seeing Armstrong rise to
such popularity outside of cycling made it even worse. It's clear that
Lemond has always craved acceptance and praise from the public.

Finally, for Lemond to believe that all of his accomplishments were
eclipsed by a guy who he sincerely considers to be the biggest doper
of all time, the current situation must be completely unacceptable.
Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
his obsession.

Brad anders

Fred on a stick
June 16th 10, 11:47 PM
Brad Anders wrote:

> Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
> his obsession.

Dumbass,

You've explained why he's a bitter man. You haven't explained why he's a
jerk. Speaking of guys who are delusional and think their actions are
reasonable in the face of terrible injustice, do you recall Ted Streleski?

Brad Anders
June 17th 10, 01:17 AM
On Jun 16, 3:47*pm, "Fred on a stick"
> wrote:
> Brad Anders wrote:
> > Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
> > his obsession.
>
> Dumbass,
>
> You've explained why he's a bitter man. You haven't explained why he's a
> jerk. Speaking of guys who are delusional and think their actions are
> reasonable in the face of terrible injustice, do you recall Ted Streleski?

I think you mean Ted Kaczynski.

Brad Anders

Brad Anders
June 17th 10, 01:19 AM
On Jun 16, 5:17*pm, Brad Anders > wrote:
> On Jun 16, 3:47*pm, "Fred on a stick"
>
> > wrote:
> > Brad Anders wrote:
> > > Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
> > > his obsession.
>
> > Dumbass,
>
> > You've explained why he's a bitter man. You haven't explained why he's a
> > jerk. Speaking of guys who are delusional and think their actions are
> > reasonable in the face of terrible injustice, do you recall Ted Streleski?
>
> I think you mean Ted Kaczynski.

Oh, you did mean Ted Streleski, I forgot all about him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski

I guess either Ted would apply....

Brad

GoneBeforeMyTime
June 17th 10, 02:44 AM
Brad Anders wrote:
> On Jun 16, 1:10 pm, "Fred on a stick"
> > wrote:
>> Brad Anders wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, LemonD is living in a dream world where he believes that such a
>>> "cleansing" would result in cycling becoming a "clean sport".
>>
>> Dumbass,
>>
>> He's living in a dream world where he holds the record for the
>> greatest number of TdF wins.
>
> I raced as a kid back in the early '70's, at a time when even the idea
> that a US cyclist could be successful at all in Europe as a pro was
> considered to be ridiculous. Guys we had who were amazing US riders
> like John Howard, Allis, Hiltner, etc. all had only the most limited
> success. In the late '70's a new breed of riders like Lemond, Boyer,
> and Mount emerged, who began to make an impression on the scene, and
> in Lemond's case, rose to the top.
>
> Lemond comes from my era, and I wonder if that's part of what drives
> his mentality. I suspect that he thought that his 3 TdF wins would
> never be equaled by another US cyclist for another 25 years. When
> Armstrong came along and not only won the TdF, but blew away all the
> TdF records by winning 7 straight, that must have been a bitter pill
> to swallow. Add in that after winning 3 TdF's, the only thing Lemond
> seemed to get was a Taco Bell commercial, seeing Armstrong rise to
> such popularity outside of cycling made it even worse. It's clear that
> Lemond has always craved acceptance and praise from the public.
>
> Finally, for Lemond to believe that all of his accomplishments were
> eclipsed by a guy who he sincerely considers to be the biggest doper
> of all time, the current situation must be completely unacceptable.
> Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
> his obsession.
>
> Brad anders

I remember that Taco Bell commerical, I saw it only once, although I'm not
sure how long it ran. Basically it was short with Greg riding his bike
balancing a Taco Bell combo box on the top of his handlebars.

--D-y
June 17th 10, 02:48 AM
On Jun 16, 2:29*pm, "B. Lafferty" > wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lemond-calls-for-widespread-reforms
>
> And really, is Armstrong a vindictive person? *;-)

Nothing, compared to Lemond.

"He who fits the doper profile". Meaning, even a bigger scammer than
he says Lance Armstrong is?
--D-y

Dear Crabby
June 17th 10, 03:48 AM
On 6/16/10 6:44 PM, in article ,
"GoneBeforeMyTime" > wrote:

> Brad Anders wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 1:10 pm, "Fred on a stick"
>> > wrote:

>>> Dumbass,
>>>
>>> He's living in a dream world where he holds the record for the
>>> greatest number of TdF wins.
>>
>> I raced as a kid back in the early '70's, at a time when even the idea
>> that a US cyclist could be successful at all in Europe as a pro was
>> considered to be ridiculous. Guys we had who were amazing US riders
>> like John Howard, Allis, Hiltner, etc. all had only the most limited
>> success. In the late '70's a new breed of riders like Lemond, Boyer,
>> and Mount emerged, who began to make an impression on the scene, and
>> in Lemond's case, rose to the top.
>>
>> Lemond comes from my era, and I wonder if that's part of what drives
>> his mentality. I suspect that he thought that his 3 TdF wins would
>> never be equaled by another US cyclist for another 25 years. When
>> Armstrong came along and not only won the TdF, but blew away all the
>> TdF records by winning 7 straight, that must have been a bitter pill
>> to swallow. Add in that after winning 3 TdF's, the only thing Lemond
>> seemed to get was a Taco Bell commercial, seeing Armstrong rise to
>> such popularity outside of cycling made it even worse. It's clear that
>> Lemond has always craved acceptance and praise from the public.
>>
>> Finally, for Lemond to believe that all of his accomplishments were
>> eclipsed by a guy who he sincerely considers to be the biggest doper
>> of all time, the current situation must be completely unacceptable.
>> Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
>> his obsession.
>>
>> Brad anders
>
> I remember that Taco Bell commerical, I saw it only once, although I'm not
> sure how long it ran. Basically it was short with Greg riding his bike
> balancing a Taco Bell combo box on the top of his handlebars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon45kkLzsQ

GoneBeforeMyTime
June 17th 10, 05:25 AM
Dear Crabby wrote:
> On 6/16/10 6:44 PM, in article
> , "GoneBeforeMyTime"
> > wrote:
>
>> Brad Anders wrote:
>>> On Jun 16, 1:10 pm, "Fred on a stick"

>>> I raced as a kid back in the early '70's, at a time when even the
>>> idea that a US cyclist could be successful at all in Europe as a
>>> pro was considered to be ridiculous. Guys we had who were amazing
>>> US riders like John Howard, Allis, Hiltner, etc. all had only the
>>> most limited success. In the late '70's a new breed of riders like
>>> Lemond, Boyer, and Mount emerged, who began to make an impression
>>> on the scene, and in Lemond's case, rose to the top.
>>>
>>> Lemond comes from my era, and I wonder if that's part of what drives
>>> his mentality. I suspect that he thought that his 3 TdF wins would
>>> never be equaled by another US cyclist for another 25 years. When
>>> Armstrong came along and not only won the TdF, but blew away all the
>>> TdF records by winning 7 straight, that must have been a bitter pill
>>> to swallow. Add in that after winning 3 TdF's, the only thing Lemond
>>> seemed to get was a Taco Bell commercial, seeing Armstrong rise to
>>> such popularity outside of cycling made it even worse. It's clear
>>> that Lemond has always craved acceptance and praise from the public.
>>>
>>> Finally, for Lemond to believe that all of his accomplishments were
>>> eclipsed by a guy who he sincerely considers to be the biggest doper
>>> of all time, the current situation must be completely unacceptable.
>>> Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root
>>> of his obsession.
>>>
>>> Brad anders
>>
>> I remember that Taco Bell commerical, I saw it only once, although
>> I'm not sure how long it ran. Basically it was short with Greg
>> riding his bike balancing a Taco Bell combo box on the top of his
>> handlebars.
>>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon45kkLzsQ

Yeah, funny, that was it! Short for Greg, corny too even for back then.
Amazing, someone probably pulled that off an old tape from one the Tour's
during that period when one hour spots were done on the national networks.

Frederick the Great[_2_]
June 17th 10, 06:12 AM
In article
Brad Anders > wrote:

> On Jun 16, 1:10Â*pm, "Fred on a stick"
> > wrote:
> > Brad Anders wrote:
> >
> > > IMO, LemonD is living in a dream world where he believes that such a
> > > "cleansing" would result in cycling becoming a "clean sport".
> >
> > Dumbass,
> >
> > He's living in a dream world where he holds the record for the greatest
> > number of TdF wins.
>
> I raced as a kid back in the early '70's, at a time when even the idea
> that a US cyclist could be successful at all in Europe as a pro was
> considered to be ridiculous. Guys we had who were amazing US riders
> like John Howard, Allis, Hiltner, etc. all had only the most limited
> success. In the late '70's a new breed of riders like Lemond, Boyer,
> and Mount emerged, who began to make an impression on the scene, and
> in Lemond's case, rose to the top.
>
> Lemond comes from my era, and I wonder if that's part of what drives
> his mentality. I suspect that he thought that his 3 TdF wins would
> never be equaled by another US cyclist for another 25 years. When
> Armstrong came along and not only won the TdF, but blew away all the
> TdF records by winning 7 straight, that must have been a bitter pill
> to swallow. Add in that after winning 3 TdF's, the only thing Lemond
> seemed to get was a Taco Bell commercial, seeing Armstrong rise to
> such popularity outside of cycling made it even worse. It's clear that
> Lemond has always craved acceptance and praise from the public.
>
> Finally, for Lemond to believe that all of his accomplishments were
> eclipsed by a guy who he sincerely considers to be the biggest doper
> of all time, the current situation must be completely unacceptable.
> Given all of these factors, it's not to hard to understand the root of
> his obsession.

Those are all reasons--rationalizations for Lemond.
The root of his obsession is buried in him somewhere.
I do not even see a hint of it, much less understand it.

Given your sketch it is easy to imagine a Lemond that,
while not happy, could be in the same room with Armstrong,
and even say things for public consumption such as
"This is a grand moment for USA cycling."

--
Old Fritz

K. Fred Gauss[_6_]
June 17th 10, 06:20 AM
B. Lafferty wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lemond-calls-for-widespread-reforms
>
> And really, is Armstrong a vindictive person? ;-)

Maybe, but Lemond's biggest enemy remains Lemond.

Fred on a stick
June 17th 10, 06:50 AM
On 6/16/2010 5:19 PM, Brad Anders wrote:

>> I think you mean Ted Kaczynski.
>
> Oh, you did mean Ted Streleski, I forgot all about him!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski
>
> I guess either Ted would apply....

Both were mathematicians in the Bay Area and I briefly considered
Kaczynski but his anger was diffuse while Streleski's was singularly
focused on one individual. I think that fits Lemond better.

I try never to make fun of students' shoes.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home