PDA

View Full Version : Pedal grabbing, finally!

Nick Grey
July 17th 03, 01:38 PM
Wow! I finally learnt pedal/crank grabbing. What a rush! I came
home seeing a world now full of obstacles I will soon we able to
ride on. :)

I found that the learning progression that I had recommended to me
didn't really work, for me at least. I was told to learn crank hangs
first (i.e., land on the crank on the obstacle, then jump off of the
obstacle rather than onto it.)

I just can't do this, for some reason. I think it's because my weight
is on the pedal nearest the obstacle, makes it much easier to jump
towards it than away from it. When I eventually gave up on jumping off
of the obstacle, and tried to jump onto it instead I very nearly landed
it my first attempt.

Now I just need to work on my balance on the obstacle. I was practicing
on a park bench and a lot of the time I was using the back of the
bench to steady myself when I initially jumped to get onto the pedal.

So, is pedal grabbing on concrete walls much harder? I think that maybe
the flex in the bench makes it easier to spring up. Also, is concrete
likely to wreck my pedals really quickly? Can't help thinking the force
of landing with most of your own and the unis weight on the pedal us
gonna make them break quite quickly.

--
Nick Grey

Tassilo
July 17th 03, 02:21 PM
Mh... Pedal/Crank Hangs look very stylish...
I have to learn one of them...
Which one is easier? Crank, because the crank is bigger then the pedal?

--
Tassilo - unitrial.de.tt
Tassilo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2314

gingerfreek
July 17th 03, 03:42 PM
corerection - iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

James_Potter
July 17th 03, 03:46 PM
I'm also learning this, but I find it hard to go only onto the pedal.
It's easier to just get the whole crank on it.
But what I find is hardest is getting up there after you're on. It seems
completely different from normal hopping, and I can't do it at all.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

joe
July 17th 03, 04:45 PM
Yeah, crank/pedal grabs are REALLY useful!

I cannot pedal grab like Kris Holm, and many others do, where you use
the pedal, then swing the Uni up.

I tend to grab with the pedal, as you can get higher, and then bring the
crank up, do a little jump so I am both the pedal and the crank (so it
is like standing on a normal crank grab) and then jump to the rubber.

Standing in the crank grab position rather than the pedal grab position
is much more steady.

I use grabs loads, and think it is one of the most useful Trials
techniques you can learn.

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

Tassilo
July 18th 03, 02:33 PM
does it matter with which crank/pedal i jump on the obstacle?
I can jump best, when my left feet is in front. and i can jump best to
the right side. i were told, that u have to jump on the crank, where ur
feet is in front. that would be the left side for me... but i cant jump
to left side... can i make crank/pedal grab with my right crank/pedal
which is in back?

--
Tassilo - unitrial.de.tt
Tassilo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2314

joe
July 18th 03, 03:40 PM
Tassilo, from what you have said, you jump the same as me.

There is not really a 'wrong' way to do something. Just do what you feel
comfortable with!

I have attached a pic I have just done. This is how I crank onto an
obstacle.

Hope it helps.

Joe,

| Attachment filename: crank grab.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/153994|

joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

paco
July 18th 03, 07:10 PM
I had a dream about pedal grabbing last night. I guess I'll have to go
find a good piece of wood (I think it was a railrod tie, turned into a
railing or a curb) to see if it will come true.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

There's a time to think and a time to unicycle.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Ender
July 18th 03, 08:26 PM
I found that when going from crank to rubber, the reason I couldnt was
because I didn't think I could. Every time I jumped I would be ready to
fall right back down to crank. I just had to tell myself that I was
gonna do it and the do it. once I got more confident I could do them
whenever I want. hope this helps anybody trying to learn.

-sam

--
Ender - member of the Hell on Wheel gang
Ender's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3721

joe
July 18th 03, 08:50 PM
Tassilo wrote:
> *but what i dont like on crankhang, is, that it makes scratches in ur
> crank... :D and my trial is new...
> but it has already some scratches... mh, dont matter, that's usual you
> can't prevent it
>

> sorry for bad english, i live in germany, only 3rd year english yet
> ;-) *

I know what you mean about the scratches on the cranks! hehehe. The
first time I went out with my new Kh cranks and new Kona pedals I was
really careful! Within two minutes though, I was doing loads of crank
grabs!
Personally, I like the 'used' look! :p

You’re English is great! I took German at school, but I'm not very good.
Saying that, I'm not very good at English either!

I always feel guilty when taking to a foreign person, as they have
learnt English really well, but I can hardly speak a word of their
language! I wish I could!!

Glad my pics helped! :)

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

napalm
July 19th 03, 09:38 AM
Hey all,
i find that i can manage to land either crank or pedal grabs but
can't get from that to rubber. Is it just psycological? Do you have to
rotate the cranks so that it lifts the uni up? or just go straight from
the horizontal position?
mark

--
napalm - unicycle trampolinist

all you have to do to learn to fly is to throw yourself at the ground
and miss
napalm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3952

andrew_carter
July 19th 03, 10:54 AM
I can currently do pedal and crank stalls and go to rubber on the pedal
grabs but fall off at the top every time. Is it normal to feel like the
uni is pushing you off the thing you're grabbing? I'm going to give
grabs a second attempt tomorrow to finish off my holidays nicely.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Freestyle newbie...

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
'GP Unicycles' (http://tinyurl.com/8roq)

UniBrier
July 19th 03, 04:13 PM
Who would have thought a year ago that I would be posting on a Trials
thread let alone on grabs to rubber? I have been working on these in the
past couple months so the progress is still fresh in my mind.

I started with the grab/stall and jump off. My first success was with my
freestyle, I was grabbing onto landscape timbers so no damage to the
uni, I concentrated on the launch part of the jump and hit rubber a few
times but only landed a couple and that was with a lot of hopping to
stabilize. The next day I tried at a sk8 park on concrete with a grind
ledge, which does mark the uni, but could not land one that day.

I think my next success was after I got the Summit Trials, even though
it is heavier I guess I felt freer to abuse it at the sk8 park. It took
a lot of tries but by the end of that session I had several successful
landings onto an 18” wide ledge. Again I was really concentrating on a
big jump from the grab to get up. It took a huge effort.

Of course my trials are still lame but I think the “to rubber” part gets
better when the jump is broken down into two parts.

The first part is the jump up or extension. You start low, jump and
extend with a forceful launch. Your back and legs are pretty much
straight after the launch. The next part is the contraction, you pull
your feet and the wheel up towards you, the knees bend and your body
hinges forward at the waist. This gives you the extra wheel height and
with your knees bent you can swing the wheel under you for the
landing.

I was having troubles getting onto the 2x2 landing on the stairs of
death this week when I was told I was scrubbing the tire on the side of
the object through the jump. In other words I was heading for the
landing before I cleared the side. I tried jumping more vertically then
bring the tire under me onto the platform and had better success.

I think a big part of the progress is going from concentrating on the
vertical leap, where you get all your height from the extension part, to
a two part jump.

If geezers can do it so can you!

napalm wrote:
> *Do you have to rotate the cranks so that it lifts the uni up? or just
> go straight from the horizontal position?
> mark *
For crank grabs to rubber I think the cranks stay horizontal. Take a
look at our gallery of geezer trials:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/TrialsAndTribulations . Of course we had
the advantage of very springy boards in that session.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.

Ha! there is a price to everything. It is a very economical universe. -
Uniwitold
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Nick Grey
July 22nd 03, 12:28 PM
andrew_carter > wrote:

> I can currently do pedal and crank stalls and go to rubber on the pedal
> grabs but fall off at the top every time. Is it normal to feel like the
> uni is pushing you off the thing you're grabbing? I'm going to give
> grabs a second attempt tomorrow to finish off my holidays nicely.

What do you mean by the uni pushing you off the thing?

I've been practicing on a bench so I can steady myself on the back
when going onto the crank/pedal... doesn't help much for going to rubber
though as it's too low.
--
Nick Grey
To e-mail me, add 0307 after my name in my e-mail address.

napalm
July 24th 03, 10:34 AM
After i wrote my last reply i went out and tried to get from crank to
rubber and after 10 minutes i found i could do it! The main reason for
being afraid to try it was the fact that i own absolutely no safety
gear. I went to my normal spot, at my house, a pile of sleepers acting
as a retaining wall, and practised untill i could do it. One thing that
helped me initialy to learn was to grab, with my free arm, a tree whose
branch was close enough to the ledge, This did not give me that much
support but helped psycologicly as i had something that could save me
from a nasty crash. > Is it normal to feel like the uni is pushing you off the thing you're
> grabbing?
Andrew, i have the same problem. I managed to narrow my problem to the
shape of my cranks, They were curved at the end nearest the axle, so if
i didn't land the hop to my cranks well my uni would force me to bail
out away from the ledge. Hope i've been some help.
Mark

--
napalm - unicycle trampolinist

all you have to do to learn to fly is to throw yourself at the ground
and miss
napalm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3952

andrew_carter
July 24th 03, 12:10 PM
Mark,

Congratulations! If I haven't gotten around to practising grabbing
before UniNats I'll get you to show me in person. See you there.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Freestyle newbie...

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com