PDA

View Full Version : What Name Should I Post Under?

Guy Cuthbertson[_9_]
June 24th 10, 07:13 AM
People (including Chapman) kept saying "Guy Cuthbertson's your real
name" and "You should put your real name to posts". So I start posting
as "Guy Cuthbertson", and now different people are claiming that I'm a
"made up person" (apparently I'm somehow taking the **** out of Chapman,
even though he himself discovered that this was my name) and that I
should post under my "real real name".

So it appears that it really is impossible to please all of the people
all of the time. I could choose another name to post under, but
presumably Tom Crispin et al would decide that that was made up as well.
So Tom etc, what do *you* think my real name is? What name(s) could I
choose which would be acceptable to you? Is there any name I can post
under which will mean that no-one complains about it?

Oh, and this time, just for fun, we could assume that the usual
"clever" and "original" responses from the usual suspects (e.g. "Why
don't you post as '****face'?", "Why don't you just stop posting
altogether?") have already been made, thus increasing the "signal-to-
noise ratio" like those same people and their fellow clique members are
always claiming they want to do (though of course in their case
"signal" means agreeing with them and "noise" means daring to
argue...like "troll", such words take on unique definitions when
psycholists use them).

The Wanderer
June 24th 10, 01:30 PM
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:13:57 +0100, Guy Cuthbertson wrote:

> People (including Chapman) kept saying "Guy Cuthbertson's your real
> name" and "You should put your real name to posts". So I start posting
> as "Guy Cuthbertson", and now different people are claiming that I'm a
> "made up person"

This is usenet. It makes no difference what ID you use, you can be whoever
you like. Just stick to one ID. Posters who keep morphing from one ID to
another to another do tend to lose credibility very quickly.

Oh, and FWIW, posters to usenet who add 'qualifications' after their name
are really only showing just how insecure they and their arguments really
are.....

--
The Wanderer

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Guy Cuthbertson[_9_]
June 25th 10, 01:27 PM
In article >,
. uk says...

> You may borrow mine if you like.

Quite cool but a bit Scottish for me ;-) I'm intrigued as to where you
got it from though. It sounds like some character from a TV show but a
quick Google just reveals...you (actually it reveals someone calling you
a troll, but as anyone who's read URC knows, "troll" is frequently used
by those who have no argument as a generalised slur against their
opponents).

Oh, and thanks for setting the follow-ups to uk.rec.ufo...almost caught
me out :-)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home