PDA

View Full Version : Toronto police grabbed "critical mass" cyclist in mid-ride

Doug[_10_]
July 2nd 10, 10:18 AM
"Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
away and beaten...

"...Several officers (the witnesses were not sure how many, but
thought it was 4-6) then repeatedly punched the cyclist in the legs.
When the cyclist was stood up, he was punched in the genitals by one
of the officers. He was then quickly removed to inside the parking
garage where he was kept out of sight until shortly before his
removal.

What I personally witnessed is as follows. I saw the cyclist later on,
when he was brought near the front of the garage to await removal in a
police vehicle. He had blood below his nostrils, on each side of his
nose. He had blood under his chin and it looked like he had a cut or
gash there. I asked him if he was okay, and he replied "no". I asked
him if he needed medical help, and he said "yes"..."

More:
http://www.publicvalues.ca/ViewArticle.cfm?Ref=00738

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".

martin
July 2nd 10, 10:28 AM
On 02/07/2010 10:18, Doug wrote:
> "Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
> away and beaten...
>
> "...Several officers (the witnesses were not sure how many, but
> thought it was 4-6) then repeatedly punched the cyclist in the legs.
> When the cyclist was stood up, he was punched in the genitals by one
> of the officers. He was then quickly removed to inside the parking
> garage where he was kept out of sight until shortly before his
> removal.
>
> What I personally witnessed is as follows. I saw the cyclist later on,
> when he was brought near the front of the garage to await removal in a
> police vehicle. He had blood below his nostrils, on each side of his
> nose. He had blood under his chin and it looked like he had a cut or
> gash there. I asked him if he was okay, and he replied "no". I asked
> him if he needed medical help, and he said "yes"..."

Resisting arrest and making a nuisance

Mrcheerful[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 10:43 AM
Doug wrote:
> "Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
> away and beaten...
>
> "...Several officers (the witnesses were not sure how many, but
> thought it was 4-6) then repeatedly punched the cyclist in the legs.
> When the cyclist was stood up, he was punched in the genitals by one
> of the officers. He was then quickly removed to inside the parking
> garage where he was kept out of sight until shortly before his
> removal.
>
> What I personally witnessed is as follows. I saw the cyclist later on,
> when he was brought near the front of the garage to await removal in a
> police vehicle. He had blood below his nostrils, on each side of his
> nose. He had blood under his chin and it looked like he had a cut or
> gash there. I asked him if he was okay, and he replied "no". I asked
> him if he needed medical help, and he said "yes"..."

I hope he won't do it again.

Paul - xxx[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 11:07 AM
On 02/07/2010 10:18, Doug wrote:
> "Witnesses say ....

"I do not know why the cyclist was arrested by the police and none of
the witnesses knew either."

)From your link)

Maybe he was known to the police and wanted for something else.

PS, This is UK.rec.cycling, not Toronto.rec .... your post is off-topic.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp

The Medway Handyman[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 11:15 AM
Doug wrote:
> "Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
> away and beaten...

The Mounties always get their man! Great news, thanks for sharing.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Steve Walker[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 08:12 PM
Doug wrote:
> "Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
> away and beaten...
>
> "...Several officers (the witnesses were not sure how many, but
> thought it was 4-6) then repeatedly punched the cyclist in the legs.
> When the cyclist was stood up, he was punched in the genitals by one
> of the officers.

Excellent. Have you noticed how your popularity here has improved, Doug?
Keep posting these funny stories, we love them!

webreader
July 2nd 10, 08:31 PM
On Jul 2, 8:12*pm, "Steve Walker" > wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > "Witnesses say Geoffrey Bercarich was knocked off his bike, dragged
> > away and beaten...
>
> > "...Several officers (the witnesses were not sure how many, but
> > thought it was 4-6) then repeatedly punched the cyclist in the legs.
> > When the cyclist was stood up, he was punched in the genitals by one
> > of the officers.
>
> Excellent. *Have you noticed how your popularity here has improved, Doug?
> Keep posting these funny stories, we love them!

Perhaps we could recomend Doug for a Booker Prize for Fiction.

webreader
July 2nd 10, 11:47 PM
On Jul 2, 11:33*pm, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> Paul - xxx > considered Fri, 02 Jul 2010
> 11:07:26 +0100 the perfect time to write:
>
> >On 02/07/2010 10:18, Doug wrote:
> >> "Witnesses say ....
>
> >"I do not know why the cyclist was arrested by the police and none of
> >the witnesses knew either."
>
> >)From your link)
>
> >Maybe he was known to the police and wanted for something else.
>
> If you follow the links from there, you will find out the background.
>
> He was assaulted, beaten almost senseless, arrested, taken out of
> sight of witnesses to be tortured and beaten some more, dragged off to
> an overcrowded cell and imprisoned there without suitable sanitary
> facilities or sufficient food and water, and then chucked out with no
> reason, charge, or apology.
>
> All the people involved in this criminal conspiracy should be in jail,
> and the fact that they wore police uniforms to do it makes the
> thuggish behaviour even worse.
>
> They have no place in civilised society, and if the legal system in
> their country does not bring them to justice the country should be
> embargoed, just as was done to South Africa when they used similar
> tactics against anyone they didn't agree with.
> Certainly they have no place in the Commonwealth.

Well if Mr Lee says so it must be correct, he has such a good track
record of being corect, he never gets it all wrong.

JNugent[_7_]
July 3rd 10, 03:29 PM
Phil W Lee wrote:

> Paul - xxx >:
>> Doug wrote:

>>> "Witnesses say ....

>> "I do not know why the cyclist was arrested by the police and none of
>> the witnesses knew either."

>> )From your link)
>> Maybe he was known to the police and wanted for something else.

> If you follow the links from there, you will find out the background.

> He was assaulted, beaten almost senseless, arrested, taken out of
> sight of witnesses to be tortured and beaten some more, dragged off to
> an overcrowded cell and imprisoned there without suitable sanitary
> facilities or sufficient food and water, and then chucked out with no
> reason, charge, or apology.

> All the people involved in this criminal conspiracy should be in jail,
> and the fact that they wore police uniforms to do it makes the
> thuggish behaviour even worse.

> They have no place in civilised society, and if the legal system in
> their country does not bring them to justice the country should be
> embargoed, just as was done to South Africa when they used similar
> tactics against anyone they didn't agree with.
> Certainly they have no place in the Commonwealth.

Have you ever tried the following?

<http://tinyurl.com/32xxvl3>

Quite cheap to construct, too.

The Medway Handyman[_2_]
July 3rd 10, 06:24 PM
Phil W Lee wrote:

> He was assaulted, beaten almost senseless, arrested, taken out of
> sight of witnesses to be tortured and beaten some more, dragged off to
> an overcrowded cell and imprisoned there without suitable sanitary
> facilities or sufficient food and water, and then chucked out with no
> reason, charge, or apology.

Where did this happen?

a) Zimbabwe
b) Toronto
c) Fantasy Island.

Ze Plane! Ze Plane!

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Paul - xxx[_2_]
July 4th 10, 03:58 PM
On 02/07/2010 23:33, Phil W Lee wrote:
> Paul - > considered Fri, 02 Jul 2010
> 11:07:26 +0100 the perfect time to write:
>
>> On 02/07/2010 10:18, Doug wrote:
>>> "Witnesses say ....
>>
>> "I do not know why the cyclist was arrested by the police and none of
>> the witnesses knew either."
>>
>> )From your link)
>>
>> Maybe he was known to the police and wanted for something else.
>
> If you follow the links from there, you will find out the background.

"Award-winning Bike Pirate Volunteer Arrested during G20"

So he describes himself as a Bike Pirate, and is protesting at G20 ..
where many top government officials are known to have strong security.
Tough ****, I say.

I believe anyone has the right to protest, but it should be done
properly. Calling oneself a Pirate doesn't appear to be a sensible thing.

PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp

Doug[_10_]
July 4th 10, 04:09 PM
On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - xxx > wrote:
> On 02/07/2010 23:33, Phil W Lee wrote:
>
> > Paul - > *considered Fri, 02 Jul 2010
> > 11:07:26 +0100 the perfect time to write:

> >> "I do not know why the cyclist was arrested by the police and none of
> >> the witnesses knew either."
>
> >> )From your link)
>
> >> Maybe he was known to the police and wanted for something else.
>
> > If you follow the links from there, you will find out the background.
>
> "Award-winning Bike Pirate Volunteer Arrested during G20"
>
> So he describes himself as a Bike Pirate, and is protesting at G20 ..
> where many top government officials are known to have strong security.
> Tough ****, I say.
>
> I believe anyone has the right to protest, but it should be done
> properly. *Calling oneself a Pirate doesn't appear to be a sensible thing.
>
> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?

They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.

Doug

Mrcheerful[_2_]
July 4th 10, 04:52 PM
Doug wrote:
> On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - xxx > wrote:
>> On 02/07/2010 23:33, Phil W Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Paul - > considered Fri, 02 Jul 2010
>>> 11:07:26 +0100 the perfect time to write:

>>> If you follow the links from there, you will find out the
>>> background.
>>
>> "Award-winning Bike Pirate Volunteer Arrested during G20"
>>
>> So he describes himself as a Bike Pirate, and is protesting at G20 ..
>> where many top government officials are known to have strong
>> security. Tough ****, I say.
>>
>> I believe anyone has the right to protest, but it should be done
>> properly. Calling oneself a Pirate doesn't appear to be a sensible
>> thing.
>>
>> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?
>>
> They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.
>
> Doug

So, nothing at all UK about it?

The Medway Handyman[_2_]
July 4th 10, 05:45 PM

While the rest of the world called them ******s.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Paul - xxx[_2_]
July 4th 10, 06:11 PM
On 04/07/2010 16:09, Doug wrote:
> On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - > wrote:

>> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?
>>
> They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.

The question isn't answered.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp

Mrcheerful[_2_]
July 4th 10, 06:46 PM
Paul - xxx wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 16:09, Doug wrote:
>> On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - > wrote:
>
>>> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?
>>>
>> They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.
>
> The question isn't answered.

the tumble weed goes past.........

Tony Dragon
July 4th 10, 07:19 PM
Doug wrote:
> On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - xxx > wrote:
>> On 02/07/2010 23:33, Phil W Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Paul - > considered Fri, 02 Jul 2010
>>> 11:07:26 +0100 the perfect time to write:
>>> If you follow the links from there, you will find out the background.
>> "Award-winning Bike Pirate Volunteer Arrested during G20"
>>
>> So he describes himself as a Bike Pirate, and is protesting at G20 ..
>> where many top government officials are known to have strong security.
>> Tough ****, I say.
>>
>> I believe anyone has the right to protest, but it should be done
>> properly. Calling oneself a Pirate doesn't appear to be a sensible thing.
>>
>> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?
>>
> They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.
>
> Doug

Yes, and your point is?

--
Tony Dragon

Doug[_10_]
July 5th 10, 05:26 AM
On 4 July, 18:11, Paul - xxx > wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 16:09, Doug wrote:
>
> > On 4 July, 15:58, Paul - > *wrote:
> >> PS, it was Toronto, what's it got to do with a UK newsgroup?
>
> > They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.
>
> The question isn't answered.

No, it is merely not accepted by you, despite numerous threads
referring to the general topic of CM on this NG. I take it you have
also complained extensively about the off-topic threads on the World
Cup and football on many unrelated NGs?

Doug.

Paul - xxx[_2_]
July 5th 10, 07:24 AM
On 05/07/2010 05:26, Doug wrote:
> On 4 July, 18:11, Paul - > wrote:

>>> They are calling themselves 'Critical Mass'.
>>
>> The question isn't answered.
>>
> No, it is merely not accepted by you, despite numerous threads
> referring to the general topic of CM on this NG.

No, it isn't answered, so I'll ask again ..

What has Toronto got to do with a UK newsgroup?

> I take it you have
> also complained extensively about the off-topic threads on the World
> Cup and football on many unrelated NGs?

WTF has that to do with urc? Yet again you erect a straw man and shift
the goalposts.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi