PDA

View Full Version : lower abdominal muscle damage

onewheeldave
July 20th 03, 05:25 PM
I'd volunteered to ride in a small procession on the Muni on Saturday
and, having had a few weeks lay off whilst focusing on bicycling,
thought a ride the day before would be a good idea.

It ended up being a two hour ride through town with a stop to do some
meteor practice (like poi except joined and heavier).

A few hours after getting home I could not only not walk, but was having
difficulty sitting still!

I assumed it was an extreme case of muscle soreness having not used
those muscles for a few weeks.

It's made for an unpleasant weekend, the procession was a no no (I did
some craft workshops for the festival instead) and today I've had to do
a 6 hour poi workshop which I'd been booked for.

It's been quite uncomfortable- I'm used to muscle soreness from when I
used to do weights, but this was far worse being in the low
abdominal/groin area and involving the muscles that operate whenever you
walk or stand.

I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else after a lay off; I'm
pretty sure it was the unicycle that didi it, but on the same day I took
a heavy impact from the meteors in that region, so I guess that could
have caused it?

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Mikefule
July 20th 03, 10:22 PM
Well, I don't know much about Pois, but I do know that I have never ever
had any sort of lower abdominal muscle pain as a result of unicycling -
including fast level long distance Cokering, hard cross country, and
long sessions practising idling and similar skills on smaller unis. I
think unicycling generally exercises and tones the abdominal muscles,
but I can't see how it can hurt them.

Being hit by a meteor sounds like it could hurt, though.

Hope you recover soon.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we
fall."
Confucius

johnfoss
July 22nd 03, 12:34 AM
I've never been sore in the lower abs from unicycling. Closest I ever
came was mid- to upper abs from practicing a lot on a B.C. (Impossible)
Wheel. Your soreness may be the result of too much riding after doing
none, but is more likely either a combination of all activities from
that day, or possibly you pulled something.

Hope it feels better by now!

--
johnfoss - On the Cutting Edge

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss [at] unicycling [.] com
www.unicycling.com

onewheeldave
July 22nd 03, 01:48 AM
Yes, I'm starting to recover now.

I too am having doubts as to whether unicycling was the cause as no one
else seems to have experienced it.

Bit of a mystery!

I'm looking forward to getting back on the Muni in a few days when my
recovery is complete.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home