PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mounts Questions

gingerfreek
August 5th 03, 08:24 PM
Question 1- yes i think the standard freemount does count as one of the
the three mounts required in level three.

question 2- i think the mount you described would be classed as a half
suicide or half jump mount, because you're holding onto the seat the
whole time, but i think landing with seat out front first is fine.

question 3- yep i think this does count as a different mount becasue it
is different.

i'm not entirely sure on these but im sure someone will either back me
up or correct me.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Chuck Webb
August 5th 03, 08:26 PM
Well, if i understand these correctly:

1. "Freemount", you probably mean standard mount, and yes, that would
count as one of the mounts.

2. No, but there is another mount known as "jump mount to seat in
front"

3. No, i believe the mounts we commonly call rollback, static, etc.
would all be considered a "standard mount".

Heres the list...

http://tinyurl.com/j35z

Chuck

--
Chuck Webb

I live in my own little world but its ok...they know me here!

Chuck Webb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1450

gingerfreek
August 5th 03, 08:31 PM
see i told you someone would correct me!

but i was sure the "roll-back" counted as a different mount:confused:i
was discussing whether they were different or not at my club recently.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Klaas Bil
August 6th 03, 12:38 AM
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:54:14 -0500, Borges
> wrote:

>A roll back mount isn't in the standard skill list as a seperate mount,
>so some testers won't allow it to count as diffrent from the regular
>freemount. The lower the level the less strict people are with the
>variety of mounts, so it might pass anyway.

Word from John Foss has it that the rollback mount and the static
mount are variations of the same thing and hence officially don't
count as separate mounts. Now if JF is not an authority then who is?

On the original question 2: For a proper jump mount you have to finish
sitting on the seat. In fact, Jump mount to sitting on the seat and a
modified Jump mount to seat in front might (just MIGHT) count as two
separate mounts.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle"

iunicycle
August 6th 03, 12:40 AM
Actually rollback and static are one mount:

<http://tinyurl.com/j459>

It is 200a on the Standard Skills List.

--
iunicycle - YeeeeHaaaa
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Borges
August 6th 03, 06:50 AM
Those numbers are the points given if the skill is performed perfectly
at a standard skill competition.

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Sarah Miller
August 6th 03, 09:55 AM
XWonka > wrote:

> Question 1: Does the freemount count as a mount when doing three mounts
> for level three?

For UUU/IUF levels in the UK , Yes.

> Question 2: When doing a jump mount, do you have to finish sitting on
> the saddle or can you jump onto saddle in front and then scooch up onto
> the saddle afterwards?

You have not finished the skill untill you have pedaled so many
revs forward sat on the saddle.

> Question 3: Does a freemount with a half rotation backwards (rollback
> mount) count as a seperate mount?

For UUU/IUF levels in the UK these two mounts have been counted as
two
seperate mounts in level testing. However there mst be NO roll back
in the static mount.

Sarah
--
Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders

James_Potter
August 6th 03, 06:48 PM
As long as this is a level question thread, I might as well ask mine:
When it says demonstrate 4 types of mounts for level four, can those
just be the three mounts you did in level three and one new one? Or do
you have to learn 4 completely new mounts?

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Carol McLean
August 6th 03, 07:18 PM
James_Potter wrote:
> *As long as this is a level question thread, I might as well ask
> mine:
> When it says demonstrate 4 types of mounts for level four, can those
> just be the three mounts you did in level three and one new one? Or do
> you have to learn 4 completely new mounts? *

You may use the 3 mounts you used in passing Level 3 and learn one new
mount.

And, as people have pointed out, the standard mount may be either
forward or rollback. It is only one type of mount, not two.

Side mount or back mount are fairly easy mounts to use for Level 3,
along with the standard mount.

Carol
Minnesota

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

Klaas Bil
August 6th 03, 11:21 PM
If James Potter had asked the same question but substituted 'two' for
'three' and then 'three' for 'two', would the answer be YES as well?

I mean, for level 2 it is OK to do a standard mount left and a
standard mount right. If I do that then do I need only ONE more mount
for level three?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle"

iunicycle
August 7th 03, 12:30 AM
Klaas Bil wrote:
> *
> I mean, for level 2 it is OK to do a standard mount left and a
> standard mount right. If I do that then do I need only ONE more
> mount
> for level three?
> *

* For Level 3 and above, riders may not count their dominant and
non-dominant side as different mounts.

Tooooo bad. You need to learn three different mounts for level three.
Also, note that side mount and side mount reverse are considered the
same mount.

--
iunicycle - YeeeeHaaaa
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

James_Potter
August 7th 03, 12:53 AM
Good, I doubt there are even enough mounts to finish them all if we had
to keep learning that many new ones!
But that's another one if I can add the rollback mount and the static
mount as seperate ones. I have six, then. Rollback, static, side,
backwards, jump, and I'm trying to learn the rolling mount.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

daino149
August 7th 03, 01:11 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> *I have six, then. Rollback, static, side, backwards, jump, and I'm
> trying to learn the rolling mount. *

If you have the jump mount, the suicide is very easy. Just in case you
need another.

BTW: How many of you actually get tested? I would think about doing it,
but for one I don't care much, and two, I don't think there are any
testers on this island.

Daniel

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

iunicycle
August 7th 03, 01:54 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> *
> But that's another one if I can add the rollback mount and the static
> mount as seperate ones.*

Static and rollback are the _same_ mount.

I would get a ruling if jump mount and suicide mount are considered
separate mounts.

<http://iunicycle.com/unicycle/skills/standard/205/>

A jump mount is 205a, suicide is 205b, the value difference is only .5
point, so it seems that it isn't significantly more difficult.

On the other hand 205g, I think, is considered a different mount. Can an
experienced tester give better guidance here?

--
iunicycle - YeeeeHaaaa
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

James_Potter
August 7th 03, 02:43 AM
I've tried the suicide mount, and for some reason I can't get it. I got
it a few times when I accidentally got my wheel stuck in this little
crack, so it couldn't move.
And if you ask me, the rollback and static are different. It took me a
while to figure out how to get the wheel to not move backwards while
mounting, so the static is more difficult. The same mount cannot be
harder if you do it again, so therefore it's different.
Besides, I probably won't ever be 'officially' tested. The skill levels
are more of cool, flashy kind of moves, not trials or MUni, and those
are what I like more. I just use the skill levels to find new things to
try, to help me get better with balance etc., not to -officially- be
better.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Klaas Bil
August 7th 03, 10:58 PM
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:11:14 -0500, daino149
> wrote:

> I don't think there are any
>testers on this island.

I think that for levels 1 through 4, you don't need an officially
qualified tester. Anyone can test if they follow the level rules.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle"

johnfoss
August 7th 03, 11:30 PM
iunicycle wrote:
> *Static and rollback are the _same_ mount. *
The skill levels were developed before the terms 'static' and 'rollback'
were applied to separate different variants of what we think of as a
'standard' mount.

> *I would get a ruling if jump mount and suicide mount are considered
> separate mounts.*
You can always try the rulebook first; most of this stuff is in there.
See page 45 of the USA Rulebook, or this page:
http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/
You will see that a regular jump mount and free jump mount are different
enough to be considered separate.

> *A jump mount is 205a, suicide is 205b, the value difference is only
> .5 point, so it seems that it isn't significantly more difficult. On
> the other hand 205g, I think, is considered a different mount. Can an
> experienced tester give better guidance here? *
Not yet, but that's one of the things I expect will be addressed in the
next generation of skill levels, currently being developed. In Standard
Skill competition it's kept more simple; you can't use two skills with
the same number. In other words, you are not allowed to do 205a and
205b.

Beyond that, the rulebook says this: "Each mount the rider uses for a
level must be different. Different can be defined as a totally different
mount, or a considerably harder variation on the same mount." So if a
free jump mount (suicide) is considerably harder than a regular jump
mount, hopefully this gives you an idea of similar comparisons for other
mounts.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
August 7th 03, 11:37 PM
XWonka wrote:
> *Question 1: Does the freemount count as a mount when doing three
> mounts for level three?*
Yes, but it probably isn't the "new" one. A "free" mount means getting
on the unicycle without outside assistance. This generally applies to
any mount you would do for a skill level. Use the Standard Skill List
for more specific mount names.

> *Question 2: When doing a jump mount, do you have to finish sitting on
> the saddle or can you jump onto saddle in front and then scooch up
> onto the saddle afterwards?*
As someone mentioned, this could be done as "jump mount to seat in
front." Otherwise I don't think it would count as a jump mount. However,
a level test doesn't care which mount you do, as long as it's different
from all the others. If you do the jump to seat in front, you'll have to
ride three revolutions in that position to finish.

> *Question 3: Does a freemount with a half rotation backwards (rollback
> mount) count as a seperate mount? *
This was pretty much covered. If the original mount you refer to is what
we call a 'static' mount, the answer is no. Side mount is really easy.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

iunicycle
August 8th 03, 12:14 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *
> You can always try the rulebook first; most of this stuff is in
> there. See page 45 of the USA Rulebook, or this page:
> http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/
> You will see that a regular jump mount and free jump mount are
> different enough to be considered separate.
> *

Ahhh yes. I misread that one:

Jump mount (free jump mount and side jump mount would be considered
different mounts)

I was thinking they meant to compare the paren'ed mounts to each other,
not to jump mount, I missed the free. Obviously experience helps in
reading the rulebook! Now I just need to let go an jump.... :)

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Google