PDA

View Full Version : Gliding

Austin_hamer
August 7th 03, 05:55 AM
Hi everyone im just wondering if u guys could give me some tips on
gliding and one footed wheel walking

Thanks

--
Austin_hamer - Austin=cool
Austin_hamer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4208

chirokid
August 7th 03, 06:03 AM
I wish I could give you some tips. But, I can't glide or wheel walk.
:(

So, I will read along with you for tips too! Gliding is so cool
looking, I hope this old dog can learn that new trick! --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

James_Potter
August 7th 03, 07:13 AM
I'm getting started in wheel walking, so I'm hoping to learn how to do
it one footed then learn to glide.
Well so far there are three people in this thread that don't know how to
do it. Hopefully we can get a pro in here soon.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

gingerfreek
August 7th 03, 10:26 AM
hi there.

i've just about nailed gliding now, it takes loads of practise but it's
so worth it when you've got it.

this is the order i learned to do things:

definetely learn one foot wheel walk first before you even try to glide.
the best way to learn one foot wheel walk is to lean back as far as
poissible and try to get into mini glides on each push (this will
prepare you for gliding itself).

once you've got a steady one foot whell walk (with mini glides) move
onto pull gliding (someone pulling you along whilst you glide). start
against a wall in gliding position, lean back, and get someone to pull
you along. i found this quite easy and it only took me one club meeting
to get it!

next you're ready to start gliding! i found that going from one footed
riding to gliding was easiest at first; get really steady one footing
and then take your other foot off, place it on the tyre, and basically
hope for the best. you probably wont get very far at first but it just
gets better, but you have to practise.

when you feel more comfortable just go straite from riding, ride
smoothly then remove your gliding foot and place it on the tyre,
imedeately after place your other foot one the crown and you're all
set.

now all you need to do is put in the hours and you'll have it nailed.

hope this helps and good luck with it!

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

joe
August 7th 03, 12:53 PM
yeah, Iains tips are great!

I learn to w/walk, then one foot w/walk (which I found easier) and then
gliding.

There are some videos of me gliding 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/ja9e),
one 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/ja9f), one 'HERE'
(http://tinyurl.com/ja9g) and also one 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/ja9h)

Its a great trick to learn, and means you can get down hills really
fast! :p

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

Ken Fuchs
August 7th 03, 10:29 PM
gingerfreek provided a fine description of a great method of learning to
glide:

iain > wrote:

>Definitely learn one foot wheel walk first before you even try to glide.
>the best way to learn one foot wheel walk is to lean back as far as
>possible and try to get into mini glides on each push (this will
>prepare you for gliding itself).

Absolutely great advice. You can also try to extend mini-glides (1-3
inches) to several inches or even a foot or more. So, go from one
footed wheel walk to a rather short glide, ofww, short glide and repeat.

>Once you've got a steady one foot wheel walk (with mini glides) move
>onto pull gliding (someone pulling you along whilst you glide). Start
>against a wall in gliding position, lean back, and get someone to pull
>you along. I found this quite easy and it only took me one club meeting
>to get it!

The key part of gingerfreek's method is having someone pull you along as
you learn to glide!

>Next you're ready to start gliding! I found that going from one footed
>riding to gliding was easiest at first; get really steady one footing
>and then take your other foot off, place it on the tyre, and basically
>hope for the best. You probably wont get very far at first but it just
>gets better, but you have to practice.

>When you feel more comfortable just go straight from riding, ride
>smoothly then remove your gliding foot and place it on the tyre,
>immediately after place your other foot on the crown and you're all
>set.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs >

johnfoss
August 27th 03, 12:56 AM
Learn to wheel walk one-foot first. What point are you at? Where do you
need help? Coaching via text works much better if the student describes
the problem areas. Okay, you keep falling off. But what are you doing
before that?

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

treepotato
August 27th 03, 11:26 AM
been trying to for months still can't quite get it but i'm improving!
tips practice makes perfect! :p

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

thinuniking
August 27th 03, 11:37 AM
i also have problems gliding i can wheel walk about 5ft but i want to
glide so badly i wanted to know were to but my feet eg both on the
wheel/one on the frame with toe just on the wheel and other foot on the
wheel how(this is for gliding)?also how far do you think i should be
able to wheel walk before doing gliding?
and one more thing about gliding what is the best way to get your feet
on eg ride one footed then go into it as have seen or just lift both
feet at once???

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

unicycle it is your right
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

gingerfreek
August 27th 03, 05:10 PM
i posted this about a month ago on a different gliding thread:

[...]

as for where to put your feet, one foot on the crown (toes so as not to
interfere with the glide), and the other the ball of your foot should
rest on the tyre, probably not on the crown as well but when i first
started i had the gliding foot on the crown as well but now it just free
floats on the tyre.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

merrill
August 27th 03, 07:08 PM
Also do a search here on "gliding." There have been a lot of useful
posts on this.

Some people have found that practicing gliding on a smooth slope
helpful. This worked for me - it helps to develop control with the
gliding foot. It will also burn a hole in your shoe quickly. However,
you must be quite comfortable assuming the gliding position before
trying this. I could glide 4-5 feet comfortably before I tried hills.

It's important to find the perfect slope - not too steep, not too
shallow. On a good hill, once you get into a groove and you feel
comfortable, you can go for hundreds of feet. This kind of practice
will improve your comfort level on flat ground.

One foot mini-glides are a good idea. Personally, I was a lot more
comfortable with gliding once I became fluent with wheel walking. I put
in many hours until I could wheel walk and one foot ww figure eights
with relative ease. Then gliding didn't seem so scary.

Once you get really comfortable, you can work on going straight into the
gliding position from a fast riding position. This alone takes a lot of
practice, but I've found that you need speed to get any distance on flat
ground.

Lastly, as your technique develops, you will be able to control the tire
in a very subtle way, applying and regulating only a very small amount
of pressure on the tire. I wish there were a shortcut to that, but it
took me a LONG time.

Joe

--
merrill - Confinement Loaf

Smart Bomb + Dumb President = Weapon of Mass Destruction
merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home