PDA

View Full Version : Best cold weather shoe covers??

KB
June 24th 04, 01:48 AM
Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold weather
booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that stands
above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are
easy to get on over the shoes??
Thanks!

Ronald
June 24th 04, 12:13 PM
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold
weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that
stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky,
and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I like Shimano half covers, they give protection where you need it
(toes and top of foot):
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Socks&ModelID=3229

"KB" > wrote in message
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold
weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that
stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky,
and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??
> Thanks!

Peter Cole
June 24th 04, 02:02 PM
"KB" > wrote in message
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my Activa cold weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out there that stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I've never like neoprene covers, they're not warm enough for all their bulk
and are a pain to get on/off. Lycra covers just don't provide enough warmth. I
wound up making my own, 2-part system. I have thick polar fleece toe covers
worn under lycra stretch full booties. I made my own since I have size 52
shoes and a sewing machine, but if you have normal feet, you might be able to
do the same thing by cutting up a pair of thick wool socks and using an
off-the shelf, slightly larger pair of stretch booties. The other secret is to
have a pair of cold weather shoes a size or 2 larger than normal so you can
wear thick socks without hindering circulation. If they have mesh vents, cover
them with duct tape.

Mark Janeba
June 24th 04, 05:49 PM
KB wrote:

> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> available??

I've tried 1) quilted nylon & polyester: 80's - too hot above freezing,
2) Pearl Izumi's polyurethane coated lycra: really hard to get on and
off, doesn't breathe so your feet steam, and not the warmest,
3) neoprene toe caps (Quintana Roo? I think): good if not very cold, but
miserable on really cold days

....and have settled on 4) Windtex full-shoe covers. Much warmer than
the thin fabric would suggest on cold days, on warmer days the
breathability keeps them from being a foot sauna. Comfortable for a
very wide range of temps, in my experience.

Mine (Sidi-labelled, no idea who really makes 'em) have a lycra
attachment up the back, and no sole - they come on and off really easy.

Mark Janeba

KB
June 25th 04, 12:55 AM
Anyone try the PI Amphib booties? The look like they might be easier to get
on as the entire back opens from the side I think. Too bulky though?
I would buy one of the winter specific riding shoes offered by Northwave or
Gaerne, but my feet are pretty wacky and don't fit standard shoes well (use
r7's).

"Mark Janeba" > wrote in message
> KB wrote:
>
> > Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe cover
> > available??
>
> I've tried 1) quilted nylon & polyester: 80's - too hot above freezing,
> 2) Pearl Izumi's polyurethane coated lycra: really hard to get on and
> off, doesn't breathe so your feet steam, and not the warmest,
> 3) neoprene toe caps (Quintana Roo? I think): good if not very cold, but
> miserable on really cold days
>
> ...and have settled on 4) Windtex full-shoe covers. Much warmer than
> the thin fabric would suggest on cold days, on warmer days the
> breathability keeps them from being a foot sauna. Comfortable for a
> very wide range of temps, in my experience.
>
> Mine (Sidi-labelled, no idea who really makes 'em) have a lycra
> attachment up the back, and no sole - they come on and off really easy.
>
> Mark Janeba

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home