PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biker Crashes, Cannot Walk

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
September 13th 10, 06:07 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-03-twitterrescue03_st_N.htm

'NEED Help!': Biker's Twitter followers call for ambulance
By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY
As she flew over the handlebars of her mountain bike, seconds before
slamming into the ground, Leigh Fazzina remembers thinking to herself:
"I'm going to break my neck. And there is no one out here to help me."

Fazzina, 36, had gotten lost in a 300-acre Connecticut wood while
competing in a mini-triathlon last Tuesday. She says she was racing
downhill, trying to locate the main biking trail and rejoin her race,
when her front wheel hit some tree roots.

After a painful landing in the dirt, Fazzina * bloodied, panicking and
unable to walk * knew she needed help.

But the amateur Philadelphia cyclist, who was in Connecticut to visit
relatives, had no idea where she was. She tried screaming for help.
But the other mountain bikers, including a cousin who entered the race
with her, were too far away to hear.

Fazzina says she tried calling another cousin on her cellphone but
couldn't connect. Desperate, Fazzina tried Twitter, the social
networking site, on which more than 1,000 "followers" had signed up to
receive her tweets.

"I've had a serious injury and NEED Help!" she typed. "Can someone
please call Winding Trails in Farmington, CT tell them I'm stuck bike
crash in woods."

At least half a dozen people, most who had never met her, picked up
their phones.

Mary-Ellen Harper, director of fire and rescue services for the
Farmington Fire Department, says her department got calls from
California, New York and Chicago.

Within minutes of sending her tweet, Fazzina says she heard an
ambulance siren.

In areas such as state parks, with spotty cellphone coverage, it's not
unusual for people to be able to send instant messages or 140-
character tweets when they can't make voice calls, says David Redl of
CTIA-The Wireless Association, an industry group.

"If you are at the edge of a (wireless) network, you'll have fringe
coverage enough to get a text message through," Redl says.

Though Twitter has more than 125 million users, it's still an unusual
way to summon emergency help. Crime victims have texted to call for
help, and families have used Twitter to reconnect after disasters. But
officials at Twitter, the National Association of Emergency Medical
Technicians and the American College of Emergency Physicians all say
they don't know of anyone using Twitter to call for an ambulance.

A week after the scare, Fazzina is back in Philadelphia; she says she
is still sore and badly bruised but has no broken bones. And while her
injuries weren't serious, she says, she's still glad she didn't have
to spend a night in the woods. She plans to go mountain biking again
once she heals * but only on a path that she knows well. And only with
her cellphone.

Edward Dolan
September 13th 10, 06:49 AM
"Mike Vandeman" > wrote in message
> [...]

Though Twitter has more than 125 million users, it's still an unusual
way to summon emergency help. Crime victims have texted to call for
help, and families have used Twitter to reconnect after disasters. But
officials at Twitter, the National Association of Emergency Medical
Technicians and the American College of Emergency Physicians all say
they don't know of anyone using Twitter to call for an ambulance.

A week after the scare, Fazzina is back in Philadelphia; she says she
is still sore and badly bruised but has no broken bones. And while her
injuries weren't serious, she says, she's still glad she didn't have
to spend a night in the woods. She plans to go mountain biking again
once she heals * but only on a path that she knows well. And only with
her cellphone.

> Maybe the next time she will manage to kill herself and it will be good

aka

Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]
September 13th 10, 09:38 AM
On 9/13/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-03-twitterrescue03_st_N.htm
>
> 'NEED Help!': Biker's Twitter followers call for ambulance
> By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY
> As she flew over the handlebars of her mountain bike, seconds before
> slamming into the ground, Leigh Fazzina remembers thinking to herself:
> "I'm going to break my neck. And there is no one out here to help me."
>[...]

At least she was not attacked with a handsaw.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
September 13th 10, 01:07 PM
"Tom Sherman °_°" > wrote in message
> On 9/13/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-03-twitterrescue03_st_N.htm
>>
>> 'NEED Help!': Biker's Twitter followers call for ambulance
>> By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY
>> As she flew over the handlebars of her mountain bike, seconds before
>> slamming into the ground, Leigh Fazzina remembers thinking to herself:
>> "I'm going to break my neck. And there is no one out here to help me."
>>[...]
>
> At least she was not attacked with a handsaw.

We do not know who was attacking who. Based on my knowledge of mountain
bikers, I believe there were two criminal mountain bikers who were
attempting to intimidate. Mountain bikers are universally assholes and
cannot take rebuke by Great Saints like Mr. Vandeman and Myself.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Jeff Strickland[_2_]
September 13th 10, 05:47 PM
<eom>

Jeff Strickland[_2_]
September 13th 10, 05:49 PM
"Edward Dolan" > wrote in message
> "Tom Sherman °_°" > wrote in message
>> On 9/13/2010 12:07 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-03-twitterrescue03_st_N.htm
>>>
>>> 'NEED Help!': Biker's Twitter followers call for ambulance
>>> By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY
>>> As she flew over the handlebars of her mountain bike, seconds before
>>> slamming into the ground, Leigh Fazzina remembers thinking to herself:
>>> "I'm going to break my neck. And there is no one out here to help me."
>>>[...]
>>
>> At least she was not attacked with a handsaw.
>
> We do not know who was attacking who. Based on my knowledge of mountain
> bikers, I believe there were two criminal mountain bikers who were
> attempting to intimidate. Mountain bikers are universally assholes and
> cannot take rebuke by Great Saints like Mr. Vandeman and Myself.

.... as if rational people walk FIRE ROADS with saws in their possession.

Edward Dolan
September 14th 10, 03:03 AM
"Dan" > wrote in message
> What purpose do you think is served by polluting these many groups with an
> endless parade of inappropriate and wasteful posts?
>
> just asking...

A word to the wise is usually sufficient to warn of the dangers of mountain
biking on hiking trails. However, most mountain bikers are irredeemably
ignorant assholes and if they want to kill themselves, that is fine with me.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota>

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home