PDA

View Full Version : A beautiful autumn ride

Trevor A Panther[_3_]
October 24th 10, 12:48 PM
I don't know why I did it today but ---- I woke up early this morning ( I
mean "early" early about 0545!)

i tottered outside to find a full moon ( or very nearly) and just a touch of
sparkle on the leaves and grass, temperature was registering as 0 C. It was
totally wind free ( but I knew winds were due at dawn!).
So I took my veelo off its rack, put an apple and an orange in my bar bag,
put my knee warmers of for the first time since last winter -- and wore my
gloves instead of mitts. Switched on 3 front lights and 3 rear lights (plus
a little led 4 light flasher on my helmet)

And at 0630 I was on the road.

I purposely headed South West so that the dawn would come up on my left --
and so that, on the return home part of the route, the forecast gusting
winds would be largely behind me.

Sunday morning, no traaffic. Idle cars twinkling frostily in the moonlight
and within minutes of setting off I found that I was warm as toast and
enjoying just being still alive!

I got home at about 1130 having cycled only 65 kims at a pottering average
of 15 .2 kph. All on road. -- with a stop to brew up some noodles and soup
for breakfast on my trianga spirit stove.

It was that sort of morning.

It was just an ordinary day but had an extraorinary effect on me.

it is one of the nice things about being old, and worrying about "galloping
years" -- there are occassions of utter pleasure which occur out of just
ordinary times.

it is a good day!

i love autumn -- it has always provided me with thoughts of the possiblity
of warm eveings by a fire ( I still have one!).

Oooops - will stop -- being old and running off at tangents again

But it is being one of those sort of days

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Simon Mason[_4_]
October 24th 10, 12:56 PM
On 24 Oct, 12:48, "Trevor A Panther" > wrote:
> I don't know why I did it today but *---- I woke up early this morning ( I
> mean *"early" early about 0545!)

Luxury. I have to be on the road for 0515 nearly every work day. ;-)

> it is one of the nice things about being old, and worrying about "galloping
> years" -- there are occassions of utter pleasure which occur out of just
> ordinary times.

Good stuff.
The last leg of my ride to work is due south and Orion and Sirius are
already hanging there, so winter is on its way.
Although getting old also means pay day comes around faster and your
car insurance is £200 or so.

--
Simon Maso

Tosspot[_3_]
October 24th 10, 07:29 PM
On 24/10/10 12:48, Trevor A Panther wrote:
> I don't know why I did it today but ---- I woke up early this morning ( I
> mean "early" early about 0545!)
>
> i tottered outside to find a full moon ( or very nearly) and just a touch of
> sparkle on the leaves and grass, temperature was registering as 0 C. It was
> totally wind free ( but I knew winds were due at dawn!).
> So I took my veelo off its rack, put an apple and an orange in my bar bag,
> put my knee warmers of for the first time since last winter -- and wore my
> gloves instead of mitts. Switched on 3 front lights and 3 rear lights (plus
> a little led 4 light flasher on my helmet)
>
> And at 0630 I was on the road.

I was on the way into work about 07:30 Thursday morning and caught the
most sumptuous red sunrise I've seen since spring. The sky was on fire
for about 3 minutes. I was in a good mood till I got to work :(

<snip>

Paul - xxx[_2_]
October 24th 10, 08:05 PM
Trevor A Panther wrote:

> I don't know why I did it today but ---- I woke up early this
> morning ( I mean "early" early about 0545!)
>
> i tottered outside to find a full moon ( or very nearly) and just a
> touch of sparkle on the leaves and grass, temperature was
> registering as 0 C. It was totally wind free ( but I knew winds were
> due at dawn!). So I took my veelo off its rack, put an apple and an
> orange in my bar bag, put my knee warmers of for the first time since
> last winter -- and wore my gloves instead of mitts. Switched on 3
> front lights and 3 rear lights (plus a little led 4 light flasher on
> my helmet)
>
> And at 0630 I was on the road.
>
> I purposely headed South West so that the dawn would come up on my
> left -- and so that, on the return home part of the route, the
> forecast gusting winds would be largely behind me.
>
> Sunday morning, no traaffic. Idle cars twinkling frostily in the
> moonlight and within minutes of setting off I found that I was warm
> as toast and enjoying just being still alive!
>
> I got home at about 1130 having cycled only 65 kims at a pottering
> average of 15 .2 kph. All on road. -- with a stop to brew up some
> noodles and soup for breakfast on my trianga spirit stove.
>
> It was that sort of morning.
>
> It was just an ordinary day but had an extraorinary effect on me.
>
> it is one of the nice things about being old, and worrying about
> "galloping years" -- there are occassions of utter pleasure which
> occur out of just ordinary times.
>
> it is a good day!
>
> i love autumn -- it has always provided me with thoughts of the
> possiblity of warm eveings by a fire ( I still have one!).
>
> Oooops - will stop -- being old and running off at tangents again
>
> But it is being one of those sort of days

LOL, I got up to watch F1, but it was so crisp out I also went for a
ride. Only stayed out for an hour but lovely. Slight frost, very
fresh air and really chilly. No birds singing for me, but strangely
saw a 'pack' of cats! Maybe seven of them just wandering around behind
the bowling clubhouse ... ;)

Great ride, canal was ethereal with fog/mist rising, and the woods were
eerie. Plenty light to ride by, well used tracks, and I stuck to a
route I know well.

Best bit ... got in in plenty time to see the race as it was delayed ..
;)

Done nothing strenuous since.

All day ... ;)

--
Paul - xxx

'96/97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
'96/97 Dyna-Tech Cro mo comp

al Mossah[_2_]
October 24th 10, 08:48 PM
On Oct 24, 12:48*pm, "Trevor A Panther" >
wrote:
> I don't know why I did it today but *---- I woke up early this morning ( I
> mean *"early" early about 0545!)
>
> i tottered outside to find a full moon ( or very nearly) and just a touch of
> sparkle on the leaves *and grass, temperature was registering as 0 C. It was
> totally wind free ( but I knew winds were due at dawn!).
> So I took my veelo off its rack, put an apple and an orange in my bar bag,
> put my knee warmers of for the first time since last winter -- and wore my
> gloves instead of mitts. Switched on 3 front lights and 3 rear lights (plus
> a little led 4 light flasher on my helmet)
>
> And at 0630 I was on the road.
>
> I purposely headed South West so that the dawn would come up on my left *-- *
> and so that, on the return home part of the route, the forecast gusting
> winds would be largely behind me.
>
> Sunday morning, no traaffic. Idle cars twinkling frostily in the moonlight
> and within minutes of setting off I found that I was warm as toast and
> enjoying *just being still alive!
>
> I got home at about 1130 having cycled only 65 kims at a pottering average
> of 15 .2 kph. All on road. -- with a stop to brew up some noodles and soup
> for breakfast on my trianga spirit stove.
>
> It was that sort of morning.
>
> It was just an ordinary day but had an extraorinary effect on me.
>
> it is one of the nice things about being old, and worrying about "galloping
> years" -- there are occassions of utter pleasure which occur out of just
> ordinary times.
>
> it is a good day!
>
> i love autumn -- it has always provided me with thoughts of the possiblity
> of warm eveings by a fire ( I still have one!).
>
> Oooops *- will stop -- being old and running off at tangents again
>
> But it is being one of those sort of days
>
> --
> From
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdomwww.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Also had a lovely morning ride, but a rather later start than yours;
not as frosty as last Sunday, but lovely blue sky, a bit of mist and
great autumn colours. Saw a couple of jays and a kestrel.

Reports of enjoyable rides are great; let's have more.

Nelly
October 24th 10, 09:00 PM
On Oct 24, 8:48*pm, al Mossah > wrote:
> On Oct 24, 12:48*pm, "Trevor A Panther" >
> wrote:
>

> > I don't know why I did it today but *---- I woke up early this morning ( I
> > mean *"early" early about 0545!)
>
> > i tottered outside to find a full moon ( or very nearly) and just a touch of
> > sparkle on the leaves *and grass, temperature was registering as 0 C. It was
> > totally wind free ( but I knew winds were due at dawn!).
> > So I took my veelo off its rack, put an apple and an orange in my bar bag,
> > put my knee warmers of for the first time since last winter -- and wore my
> > gloves instead of mitts. Switched on 3 front lights and 3 rear lights (plus
> > a little led 4 light flasher on my helmet)
>
> > And at 0630 I was on the road.
>
> > I purposely headed South West so that the dawn would come up on my left *-- *
> > and so that, on the return home part of the route, the forecast gusting
> > winds would be largely behind me.
>
> > Sunday morning, no traaffic. Idle cars twinkling frostily in the moonlight
> > and within minutes of setting off I found that I was warm as toast and
> > enjoying *just being still alive!
>
> > I got home at about 1130 having cycled only 65 kims at a pottering average
> > of 15 .2 kph. All on road. -- with a stop to brew up some noodles and soup
> > for breakfast on my trianga spirit stove.
>
> > It was that sort of morning.
>
> > It was just an ordinary day but had an extraorinary effect on me.
>
> > it is one of the nice things about being old, and worrying about "galloping
> > years" -- there are occassions of utter pleasure which occur out of just
> > ordinary times.
>
> > it is a good day!
>
> > i love autumn -- it has always provided me with thoughts of the possiblity
> > of warm eveings by a fire ( I still have one!).
>
> > Oooops *- will stop -- being old and running off at tangents again
>
> > But it is being one of those sort of days
>
> > --
> > From
> > Trevor A Panther
> > In South Yorkshire,
> > England, United Kingdomwww.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> Also had a lovely morning ride, but a rather later start than yours;
> not as frosty as last Sunday, but lovely blue sky, a bit of mist and
> great autumn colours. *Saw a couple of jays and a kestrel.
>
> Reports of enjoyable rides are great; let's have more.- Hide quoted text -

I also went out on this crisp morning. 1st time out in the frost....
Twas great...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home